[news.admin] New site terminus???

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) (02/08/88)

ATTN:  New site "terminus" at Weber State College, connected to site
obie.

I must admit that I like your name.  I like it so much, that two years
ago when the time came to name my machine, I used the name!

Needless to say, the existance of two sites called "terminus" is not
a good thing.  (Or to quote the UNIX name God's lament, "All the good
ones are taken.")  This will confuse automatic mailers, and will also
confuse netnews software.

As you are newly established, might I suggest that your site terminus
change its name to another name currently unestablished?  Thank you.

I'd also like to thank those people who notified me of the problem,
obviously the article would not reach this site, as my news neighbors
would think it originated here!

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (02/10/88)

In article <2473@terminus.UUCP> nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) writes:
> As you are newly established, might I suggest that your site terminus
> change its name to another name currently unestablished?  Thank you.
>
> I'd also like to thank those people who notified me of the problem,
> obviously the article would not reach this site, as my news neighbors
> would think it originated here!

Of course, Nyssa's article won't be seen at the other terminus for exactly
the same reason!

--
Greg Paris  gmp@rayssd.ray.com  {cbosgd,decuac,gatech,ihnp4,uiucdcs}!rayssd!gmp

jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) (02/16/88)

In article <1809@rayssd.ray.com>, gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
> In article <2473@terminus.UUCP> nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) writes:
> > As you are newly established, might I suggest that your site terminus
> > change its name to another name currently unestablished?  Thank you.
> >
> > I'd also like to thank those people who notified me of the problem,
> > obviously the article would not reach this site, as my news neighbors
> > would think it originated here!
>
> Of course, Nyssa's article won't be seen at the other terminus for exactly
> the same reason!

	We got his message just fine.  Sorry about the confussion.  The name
of the site has been changed to "wsccs" to identify it as Weber State College
Computer Science.  No more problem.  (A new map entry has already be sent out.

					--  Johnnie  --

	...!ihnp4!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!john

	or

	...!ihnp4!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!sp7040!jsp

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (02/16/88)

In article <1809@rayssd.ray.com>, gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
> In article <2473@terminus.UUCP> nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) writes:
> > As you are newly established, might I suggest that your site terminus
> > change its name to another name currently unestablished?  Thank you.
>
> Of course, Nyssa's article won't be seen at the other terminus for exactly
> the same reason!

Yes, it will be.  I am the feed for ex-terminus, and it went through.
The name was changed as soon as we received mail explaining there was
another terminus on the net.  The new name is wsccs.  Since wsccs is
to be the gateway for WSC's DECnet, this was quite an accomplishment
(explaining to Computing Services why you HAVE to change your node
name AGAIN).  A new map entry was posted about a week ago.

		Wes Peters

--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!