[news.admin] Unpacking and storing the Maps

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/14/88)

     Can anyone recommend a script/program to capture & store the USENET
maps as they come across from News ?  Having to go through and manually
save and unshar each one takes an eternity.  Also, Im not real familiar
with the procedure by which the postings are done. Is each posting an
addition to the last ?  I mean, Ill see a posting for u.usa.pa.1 every
couple days.....is this a NEW total listing or should this be appended
to my last u.usa.pa.1, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

wisner@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (02/15/88)

There have been many requests of late for automatic map retrieval. I
will shortly post John Quarterman's uuhosts software, from the
mod.sources archive. It is short enough and useful enough that I
feel a posting to alt.sources is warranted. Watch that space.

..bill

eric@magic4.UUCP (Eric Kozowski) (02/19/88)

In article <494@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>      Can anyone recommend a script/program to capture & store the USENET
> maps as they come across from News ?

Me too, please

--
Eric Kozowski  AT&T GBS  Portland, Or        || I've made enough money to buy
(503)295-4250                                || Miami, but I pissed it away

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (02/20/88)

In article <494@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>     Can anyone recommend a script/program to capture & store the USENET
>maps as they come across from News ?  Having to go through and manually
>save and unshar each one takes an eternity.  Also, Im not real familiar

Here is a copy of the shell script that I use to keep the maps up to date.
It makes the presumption that the later articles superceed older ones.
Parsing the Superceeds line is left as an exercise for the reader :-).
It runs interactively, and asks for conformation before overwriting old
maps.

:
#
#	This script will assist in keeping the UUCP maps up to date.
#	It assumes that you keep your maps compressed in their own
#	subdirectory and that later article numbers superseed eariler
#	map-articles.
#
#	Copyright Dighera Data Services Sat Jan  9 09:02:27 PST 1988
#

MAPDIR=/root/Maps		# This is where the UUCP maps reside
NEWSDIR=/usenet/usenet/spool/news/comp/mail/maps 	# Raw maps here
export MAPDIR NEWSDIR

cd $NEWSDIR
set `ls`
if [ $# -gt 0 ]
then
	cp * $MAPDIR && rm *
else
	echo "$0: No new maps to process"
	exit
fi

cd $MAPDIR
for I
do
	sed '1,11d' $I > $0.tmp && (rm $I; sh $0.tmp)
done
rm $0.tmp

for i in `ls *[!Z]`
do
if [ -f ${i}.Z ]
then
	echo "Over write: \n `ls -log ${i}.Z`"
	echo "With: \n `ls -log $i` ?"
	read CHOICE
	case $CHOICE in
		[yY]*) rm ${i}.Z; compress $i; ls -log ${i}.Z;echo;;
		*) continue;;
	esac
else
	compress $i
fi
done

======================  end of code  =============================
--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

derykm@psc90.UUCP (Deryk Marien) (02/22/88)

In article <162@magic4.UUCP> eric@magic4.UUCP (Eric Kozowski) writes:
>In article <494@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>>
>>      Can anyone recommend a script/program to capture & store the USENET
>> maps as they come across from News ?
>

>Me too, please

Could you also include me. I understand that John Quaterman had a script
for this particular problem. Help is much appreceiated.

/Deryk