[news.admin] How do you fix the spool directory after it fills up?

billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) (02/13/88)

We have a very small amount of space allocated for the news spool area
on our system (25000 blocks).  We get most all the groups except soc and
sci and we are continually running out of room.

Here are the expire entries in crontab:
15 3,6,11,17 * * * /usr/lib/news/expire -e 1 -E 7 -n rec soc sci \
	comp.sys.amiga comp.sys.atari comp.binaries.amiga comp.os.minix
20 3,11,17 * * * /usr/lib/news/expire -e 10 -n comp.sources comp.binaries news
35 3,11,17 * * * /usr/lib/news/expire -e 4 -E 7 -n all control general junk \
	!comp.sources !comp.binaries !news !rec !soc !sci

We expire some of the groups quickly (-e1) since no one here reads them
and I noticed that sometimes they became quite large.  No one here reads
the rec groups but we are passing them along to another site.

I recently begin manually expiring the maps since we don't run pathalias
(our feed does) with expire -I -e1 -n comp.mail.maps.

Every so often if I'm not keeping a watchful eye on the free space in
the spool directory, it fills up.

So -- how do I fix things?
1.  How can I expire things to prevent this problem.  I heard someone
    hacked inews to put articles on another filesystem when the spool
    filesystem filled up.
2.  What should I do to clean up /usr/spool/news?

I have using the following method to clean the spool directory:
a.  umount the /usr/spool/news filesystem
b.  run fsck and make a note of all the size errors relating to directories
c.  remount the /usr/spool/news filesystem
d.  run ff -i <list of inodes from fsck>
e.  for each directory with a size error, make a new one, cpio the files
    from the old to the new, rm -r the old one and mv newdir to olddir
f.  sometimes I run find and have it delete files with a size of zero and
    then rebuild the history file with expire -r as outlined in expire(8).

Is the above the best/right way to do this?

Could anyone offer any suggestions on these problems?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

	Name:		William D. Burton
	US Mail:	American Academy of Arts and Sciences
			136 Irving St., Cambridge, MA 02138-1996
	Audible:	1-617-576-5023
	UUCP:		...!husc6!amcad!billb
	ARPANET:	billb%amcad.uucp@husc6.harvard.edu

jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) (02/19/88)

> We have a very small amount of space allocated for the news spool area
> on our system (25000 blocks).  We get most all the groups except soc and
> sci and we are continually running out of room.
>
> I recently begin manually expiring the maps since we don't run pathalias
> (our feed does) with expire -I -e1 -n comp.mail.maps.
>
> Every so often if I'm not keeping a watchful eye on the free space in
> the spool directory, it fills up.
>
> So -- how do I fix things?
> 1.  How can I expire things to prevent this problem.  I heard someone
>     hacked inews to put articles on another filesystem when the spool
>     filesystem filled up.
> 2.  What should I do to clean up /usr/spool/news?

	Try this if it is full,  At Weber State College We only have 40
meg to dedicate to news so I expire articles (all of them, who knows what
a student will want to read) in 2 weeks.  I do however run a cron script
daily that checks the file system to see if it is more than 90% full.
If it does in does the following command:

	find /news/spool/news -mtime +12 -exec rm {} \;

This deletes any files in our news spool directory that are more than 13
days old.  Since I started doing this it has nor over filled yet.  You can run
this command by hand if you want for put it in cron as a fail safe like I did.

				--  Johnnie  --

	Bill the Cat for President

tab@mhuxt.UUCP (Tracey A. Baker) (02/25/88)

In article <300@sp7040.UUCP> jsp@sp7040.UUCP writes:
>	find /news/spool/news -mtime +12 -exec rm {} \;
>
>This deletes any files in our news spool directory that are more than 13
>days old.  Since I started doing this it has nor over filled yet.  You can run
>this command by hand if you want for put it in cron as a fail safe like I did.

  My site used to do this for the "big" groups automatically, but I changed
things so that expire is run with a shorter expiration time on the big groups.
I did this because I thought it said in the nes software installation guide
that rm'ing files in /usr/spool/news without getting rid of them in the history
file could confuse other parts of news.  Then again, I have had trouble before
interpreting the docs.  Can anyone clear this up for me?

  Also, I asked this before and got no response (possibly due to broken news
feeds):  can anyone explain the "L" flag in the /usr/lib/news/sys file?  I
understand that a plain L will just send articles posted on that system, but
the L# has me confused.  Does "L2" mean only this site (literal interpretation
of the installation guide), this site + previous site (that makes sense to me),
or this site + previous two sites (don't remember exactly what gave me this
idea)?  Help?  Someone?  Please?

-----
Tracey A. Baker    [...!ihnp4!]mhuxu!tab      (201)582-5357
Rm. 2F-211,  AT&T Bell Laboratories, 600 Mountain Ave., Murray Hill NJ 07974
Disclaimer: If my employers had an opinion on this, they'd tell you themselves.