[news.admin] News software 3.0 question

terrell@musky2.MUSKINGUM.EDU (Roger Terrell) (02/25/88)

{}

Will the version 3.0 software cause any problems with 'rn'?

--Roger

--

Roger Terrell
Muskingum College			...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (UUCP)

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (02/28/88)

In article <64@musky2.MUSKINGUM.EDU>, Roger Terrell writes:
>Will the version 3.0 software cause any problems with 'rn'?

Subject following might break, I don't add Xref headers (because they're the
Wrong Thing, ID to message location mapping should be done through the history
file).

But no fear. About all of what's interesting in rn is supported in 3.0 vnews
anyhow -- keyboard macros, %-escapes, kill-files (though the latter aren't
well-tested yet) and subject-list browse mode. And instead of hopping you
between screen-oriented, more-like and cooked display modes everything is
shown through a uniform screen-oriented interface.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                  (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax,vu-vlsi}!snark!eric

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/06/88)

In article <22283cb5:304b@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
[ deleted comments than rn might break under 3.0 ]
>But no fear. About all of what's interesting in rn is supported in 3.0 vnews
>anyhow -- keyboard macros, %-escapes, kill-files (though the latter aren't
>well-tested yet) and subject-list browse mode. And instead of hopping you
>between screen-oriented, more-like and cooked display modes everything is
>shown through a uniform screen-oriented interface.

Yea but everybody here already knows rn.  Are we really going to have to give
it up and retrain everyone to upgrade to 3.0?

Is vnews as good as rn?  Is it as easy to learn and use?  I really don't
have any experience with vnews.  Can someone please contrast rn and vnews
from the user's and also from the admin. points of views.  You can't
tell what it's *really* like from the manuals, so I'd like to hear from
people that have experience with both programs.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what