[news.admin] news.admin

news@oberlin.UUCP (Netnews Administrator) (03/05/88)

I was wondering  about feed  etiquette.   I was  under the impression
that each site was duty bound to feed any other  site if  such a feed
did not cost the providing site anything.

For example, anyone who wants a feed from us (and will  call or wants
it over DECNET) can get it.  I have heard  of sites  sharing a DECNET
refusing  to  provide news  to their  companion nodes  on the DECNET.
This seems unUSENETesque.

What is the common convention on feeds?

Chris Seline
News@oberlin.edu
ihnp4!news
news@oberlin.csnet

p.s. To those of you out there who we are discussing feeds with --
I'm not refering to you. :->
--
	news@oberlin.edu (internet)
	ihnp4!oberlin!news

emv@fleetwood.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (03/06/88)

In article <692@oberlin.UUCP> news@oberlin.UUCP (Netnews Administrator) writes:
>I was wondering  about feed  etiquette.   I was  under the impression
>that each site was duty bound to feed any other  site if  such a feed
>did not cost the providing site anything.

>What is the common convention on feeds?
>
>Chris Seline

Providing a news feed always costs something as far as system resources
goes - modem time on scarce modems, nntp traffic on congested gateways,
disk i/o on heavily used disks.  I should think that a site might have good
reason to suggest that another site look for an alternate feed, even if
there's no $ charges involved.
Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan mail group.

mohamed@hscfvax.harvard.edu (Mohamed_el_Lozy) (03/07/88)

In article <3aad057d.c6e5@delrio.cc.umich.edu> emv@fleetwood.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>Providing a news feed always costs something as far as system resources
>goes - modem time on scarce modems, nntp traffic on congested gateways,
>disk i/o on heavily used disks.

Let me add two costs:

	1.  uucico (for uucp feeds) is not free.  In fact, it uses lots of
	cpu cycles for a full feed.

	2.  Administrator time for care and feeding of uucp over phone lines.
	I feel that uucp over telephone lines works most of the time, but with
	the volume of a full feed the administrator will spend quite a bit
	of time babysitting the lines.

tmanos@aocgl.UUCP (Theodore W. Manos) (03/08/88)

Within reason what you say is true.  However, if everybody were to not allow
other sites to feed from them, because of the additional drain on resources,
we wouldn't be here, would we???
-> Theodore (Ted) W. Manos                tmanos@aocgl.{UUCP,uunet.UU.NET}
   Alpha Omega Consulting Group, LTD      ...!{uunet,mcdchg}!aocgl!tmanos
   400 Springhill Drive, Roselle, IL  60172
   Mobile: +1 312 590-0298  (auto-fwd to office if I'm not in)

"Don't take life TOO seriously - you'll never get out of it alive anyhow."
************************ DISCLAIM WHAT? **********************************
*  My company agrees with my views completely - I hold all of the stock! *

kennedy@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (03/09/88)

In article <525@hscfvax.harvard.edu> mohamed@hscfvax.UUCP (Mohamed_el_Lozy) writes:
>In article <3aad057d.c6e5@delrio.cc.umich.edu> emv@fleetwood.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>>
>>Providing a news feed always costs something as far as system resources
>>goes - modem time on scarce modems, nntp traffic on congested gateways,
>>disk i/o on heavily used disks.
>
>Let me add two costs:
>
>	1.  uucico (for uucp feeds) is not free.  In fact, it uses lots of
>	cpu cycles for a full feed.

There is an alternative, it will cost some cpu cycles but not as much as a
uucico session.  Note that rnews isn't very bashful about soaking up cycles.
Stargate broadcasts all of the moderated groups and that covers some of the
very bulky ones (sources, maps, etc).  If a site is paying long distance to
get news then I can nearly guarantee that Stargate is cost effective on a real
dollar basis.  Once you have gotten it in, it's just plain old news.

>	2.  Administrator time for care and feeding of uucp over phone lines.
>	I feel that uucp over telephone lines works most of the time, but with
>	the volume of a full feed the administrator will spend quite a bit
>	of time babysitting the lines.

You can't really pin that on news per se, it's uucp.  My news feed (for the
unmoderated groups) went sour for a few days because of modem changes I
needed to adjust to but mail and file transfers were just as tangled and the
amount of work to undo it was the same.  Admittedly, when it came back up
there was a flood of news but I don't think you can say that the sheer volume
warrants any more SA time than any other uucp connection.

The mention of Stargate requires some qualification.  They have concluded
the experimental phase and are now in the process of evaluating where to go
from there.  They consciously did not promote the service because it was
still pretty experimental.  If they elect to continue the project they will
have to actively promote it and support it.  I, as an experimental subscriber
and just one site, would renew my subscription at the original rate (around
$1K if I remember) because on a straight dollars and cents basis I pay those
guys fewer $$ than I would to the telephone company for the same volume of
news.  I don't know in what form or fashion it will be available but I *do*
recommend that news administrators explore it as a technique for balancing
the uucp load.  Oh, a lot of their earlier restrictions (don't remember them
either) have been relaxed, give them a shout, steve@starbase.COM.

The opinions are my own, Tolerant is nice enough to let me use their gear.
Bill Kennedy {rutgers,cbosgd,ihnp4!petro}!ssbn!bill or bill@ssbn.WLK.COM