[news.admin] Fascists of a different kind

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (03/09/88)

We have a local newsgroup for which we want to restrict posting to
only a few people.  Using a moderator is not feasible.  Has anyone
implemented something that would be the logical complement of FASCIST
- i.e. group g accepts only postings from users x, y, and z rather
than FASCIST's user x is only alowed to post to groups a, b, c ...

Thanks in advance...
--
David Bernholdt			Internet: bernhold@orange.qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		BITnet:   bernhold@ufpine.bitnet

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (03/11/88)

In article <290@orange2.qtp.ufl.edu>, bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) writes:
> We have a local newsgroup for which we want to restrict posting to
> only a few people.  Using a moderator is not feasible.  Has anyone
> implemented something that would be the logical complement of FASCIST
> - i.e. group g accepts only postings from users x, y, and z rather
> than FASCIST's user x is only alowed to post to groups a, b, c ...

More general:  I've had numerous questions about the feasibility of having
a newsgroup on a small set of machines, that is only accessible to a certain
set of users.  It would be convenient if the permission could be given to
a group in /etc/group, as usual.  It's pretty easy to restrict the newsgroup's
directory permissions, but this doesn't quite work.  First, usenet programs
themselves are routinely run setuid and setgid to 'news' permissions; this
user/group combination MUST have access, or the news doesn't work at all.

So is there a way to do it, short of the usual hacking in of Yat Another
Local Feature?

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (03/11/88)

In article <290@orange2.qtp.ufl.edu>, bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) writes:
> We have a local newsgroup for which we want to restrict posting to
> only a few people.  Using a moderator is not feasible.  Has anyone
> implemented something that would be the logical complement of FASCIST
> - i.e. group g accepts only postings from users x, y, and z rather

Yeah, we have that here, it is called mail.

You mail to the people defined in a group..

See man pages on "mail" and "mush"  also on "vacation"

:-)

+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +

notes@hpscdc.HP.COM (Notes Police) (03/15/88)

"Notes" supports restricted read/write permissions to/from various
groups.  Please don't connect an old version of notes to the net.

Gary Gitzen
garyg%hpscdc@hplabs.hp.com