[news.admin] Undelivered mail

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (03/16/88)

in article <12311@brl-adm.ARPA>, MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU says:

> Subject:  Re: Why NULL is 0
>
> [Non-Deliverable:  User does not exist or has never logged on]

> Date:         Fri, 11 Mar 88 21:56:46 GMT
> Sender:       Info-C List <INFO-C@NDSUVM1>
> From:         Doug Gwyn <gwyn@brl-smoke.arpa>
> Subject:      Re: Why NULL is 0
> Comments: To: info-c@brl-smoke.arpa
> To:           Vic Kapella <SXJVK@ALASKA>

I'm getting dozens and dozens of these returned-mail postings to
comp.lang.c.  They are all postings that have appeared under their
original headings.  Anybody know what's going on?

		Dave Jones
		Megatest Corp.
		880 Fox Lane
		San Jose, CA.
		95131

		(408) 437-9700 Ext 3227
		UUCP: ucbvax!sun!megatest!djones
		ARPA: megatest!djones@riacs.ARPA

Lines
make
this
posting
as
long
as
the
original,
so
the
mailer
will
accept
it.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/17/88)

Dave Jones, djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) asks why comp.lang.c is
getting filled up with messages like:

 > Subject:  Re: Why NULL is 0
 >
 > [Non-Deliverable:  User does not exist or has never logged on]

 > Date:         Fri, 11 Mar 88 21:56:46 GMT
 > Sender:       Info-C List <INFO-C@NDSUVM1>
 > From:         Doug Gwyn <gwyn@brl-smoke.arpa>
 > Subject:      Re: Why NULL is 0
 > Comments: To: info-c@brl-smoke.arpa
 > To:           Vic Kapella <SXJVK@ALASKA>

The answer is that the comp.lang.c newsgroup is gatewayed into an
Internet mailing list, info-C.  One of the recipients is at BITNET
site.  And when BITNET mail has problems it tends to do, unh, things
that are anti-social to Usenet (if not the rest of the Internet
world :-).  The person in charge, a postmaster at one of the BITNET
sites, found out and shut things off within a day or two, but
that was still too late to prevent about 75 of these messages from
costing Usenet thousands of dollars to transmit.

Yet another argument against unmoderated bidirectional gateways.

The most interesting question, tho, still remains unanswered:  if the
user does not exist, or has never logged in, how did the subscribe
to the INFO-C mailing list?

Speculations, flames, and follow-ups should probably be sent to me.
At any rate, keep them out of the comp.lang.c newsgroup.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.