[news.admin] guest accounts

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (03/11/88)

Lately I have seen a few postings from a guest account or two,
and on the subject of forgeries, why is this permitted?

I could log on as guest, (we have no such account here),
do a post or followup, and flame the hell out of someone, or
be down right clever in some form of personal attack.

And get away with it..

I think that as such, a guest can read news, but not followup,
or at least have their comments sent to some form of moderator
prior to net release.

Opinions?

+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (03/11/88)

In article <1248@uop.edu>, todd@uop (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>Lately I have seen a few postings from a guest account or two,
>and on the subject of forgeries, why is this permitted?

Why shouldn't it be permitted?  You do on your system what you like,
and I'll do what I like on mine.  If I have a guest account on my
system and it gets abused then I am responsible for it.
--
# Henry Mensch / <henry@garp.mit.edu> / E40-379 MIT, Cambridge, MA
#      {ames,cca,rochester,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry

mikel@codas.att.com (Mikel_Manitius) (03/11/88)

In article <1248@uop.edu>, todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
> Lately I have seen a few postings from a guest account or two,
> and on the subject of forgeries, why is this permitted?

You don't get away with it. It's the system administrator's responability
to keep track of what is going on on his system.

If he allows it, he will get blamed for being a poor administrator,
and will eventually have to do something about it.

If he does it himself, he's going to get blamed anyway.

If he's ignorant, he's still going to get blamed.
--
					Mikel Manitius
					mikel@codas.att.com

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (03/11/88)

In article <1248@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>Lately I have seen a few postings from a guest account or two,
>and on the subject of forgeries, why is this permitted?
>
>I think that as such, a guest can read news, but not followup,
>or at least have their comments sent to some form of moderator
>prior to net release.

	Why should YOU be able to post and not a guest?  If
	a guest can forge a posting, perhaps the above was
	posted by a guest?
--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/23/88)

Why is there a problem with people posting from guest accounts?  Most
people who posted from guest accounts would do so in good faith.  If
an administrator found that people were abusing the priveledge, then
he could do something about it.

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan