[news.admin] Top 25 News Groups for the last 2 weeks

WGRCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Bill Rubin) (02/24/88)

In going thru some files on system's news disk, trying to find room for new
news because the disk had filled up, I found this dribble in talk.bizarre:

In article <1918@mind.UUCP>, greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) says:

>In article <7080@uunet.UU.NET> newsstats@uunet.UU.NET writes:
>
>          No. of        $ Cost  % of  Cumulative
> Rank  Kbytes Articles per Site Total  % of Total  Group (Articles/contributor)
>    1  1175.9     696     36.75  3.5%     3.5%     comp.sys.ibm.pc (1.7)
>    2  1066.7     948     33.33  3.1%     6.6%     soc.singles (3.0)
>    3  1038.4     698     32.45  3.1%     9.7%     soc.women (2.9)
>    4  1035.2    1263     32.35  3.1%    12.7%     talk.bizarre (6.2)
>

>Congratulations to ALL for a FABULOUS effort. I believe 4th is the
>highest we have EVER placed. But WORK at it, damnit! 31 more KB and we
>would have beaten SOC.SINGLES!
>
>I did my part. 95 KB. Now you do yours.
>
>--
>                              greg

Now, I have never read talk.bizarre, and I know there are some sites
which do not carry the talk. groups, but we have decided not to do this
here, because we feel that it is important that we carry as much as
possible.

But when I see this kind of garbage, posted not once but three times, I
have to wonder if we are making the correct decision. I would ask if
people realize the overhead involved in each message they post, but the
obvious answer in this case is that they could care less. At minimum,
talk.bizarre postings are going to get a much shorter life at my site.
-------
Bill Rubin         City University of New York
212/903-3676       WGRCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (02/25/88)

In article <1156WGRCU@CUNYVM> [god, no, not BITNET!] WGRCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
(Bill Rubin) grumps to news.admin:

(article <1918@mind.UUCP>, greg@mind.UUCP (yes, that greg, that Nowak guy))
>>Congratulations to ALL for a FABULOUS effort. I believe 4th is the
>>highest we have EVER placed. But WORK at it, damnit! 31 more KB and we
>>would have beaten SOC.SINGLES!
>>
>>I did my part. 95 KB. Now you do yours.

(back to our friend Bill)
>Now, I have never read talk.bizarre, and I know there are some sites
>which do not carry the talk. groups, but we have decided not to do this
>here, because we feel that it is important that we carry as much as
>possible.
>
>But when I see this kind of garbage, posted not once but three times, I
>have to wonder if we are making the correct decision. I would ask if
>people realize the overhead involved in each message they post, but the
>obvious answer in this case is that they could care less. At minimum,
>talk.bizarre postings are going to get a much shorter life at my site.

This, students, is a textbook case of WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Yes, that's
right, WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Apologies to greg.

I would ask if Mr. Rubin realizes that every site is quite free to drop
talk.bizarre, anytime, if it doesn't like the content. I would ask if
Mr. Rubin realizes that some people, incredibly, ENJOY the newsgroup,
high volume notwithstanding. I would ask if Mr. Rubin has bothered to
look at another viewpoint: many find the group entertaining (if they
didn't, it wouldn't rank fourth, for chrissake) and realize that USENET
is quite a bit more than source code and discussions about pointer
alignment or some such.

I would even ask if Mr. Rubin has the tiniest shred of a sense of humor.

Alas, the obvious answer in this case is no.

Are all users of this network to cower in terror, every time they even
dare to consider posting an article, mortally afraid that there might
be too much overhead involved? I don't like comp.sys.ibm.pc, and just
look at that revolting message volume. Let's remove it from the net.
What? The readers? Oh. Let them read the mailing list.

In short, Mr. Rubin, kindly keep your whimpering complaints to yourself
rather than air them before a worldwide audience. Most of us could care
less. Now, if you have a legitimate problem, I am quite certain that
quite a few people would quite cheerfully offer you assistance, but
this tripe? Why, do you realize what overhead was involved in transmitting
your bitching to over 6,000 sites?

I'm done preaching. I'll go post 96K to talk.bizarre now. Good day.

..b

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (02/25/88)

In article <8272@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>In article <1156WGRCU@CUNYVM> [god, no, not BITNET!] WGRCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>(Bill Rubin) grumps to news.admin:
>>Now, I have never read talk.bizarre, and I know there are some sites
>>which do not carry the talk. groups, but we have decided not to do this
>>here, because we feel that it is important that we carry as much as
>>possible.
>>
>>But when I see this kind of garbage, posted not once but three times, I
>>have to wonder if we are making the correct decision. I would ask if
>>people realize the overhead involved in each message they post, but the
>>obvious answer in this case is that they could care less. At minimum,
>>talk.bizarre postings are going to get a much shorter life at my site.
>
>This, students, is a textbook case of WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Yes, that's
>right, WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Apologies to greg.
>
>I would even ask if Mr. Rubin has the tiniest shred of a sense of humor.
>
>Alas, the obvious answer in this case is no.
>
>I'm done preaching. I'll go post 96K to talk.bizarre now. Good day.

I have to say that Bill Rubin is right, and that what we have is a textbook
case of a whiny talk.bizarre reader.  I read net.bizarre when it started
for a while, and there were a few good things.  When I started
rec.humor.funny, I read talk.bizarre for 2 months to see if I could cull
anything funny, and I found only 1 item.  (I'll admit I'm tough)

All this would be fine if it weren't for this stuff that's going
on there right now about "pumping up the volume" and trying to get the
highest volume on the net.  Talk.bizarre is surpassed in per reader
cost only by some binary/source groups and talk.politics/religion/abortion
groups.

I tell you I get more and more serious every day about my idea of putting
high volume groups on probation.  This crazy attitude is costing everybody
real money.  Certain types of groups feed more volume in an upward
spiral.  I get my news feed locally, so up to now I haven't had much
to complain about except the money I've spent on bigger disk packs.  But
now my feed keeps asking me to spend $1,000 on a Telebit because dialin
times are too long (even for local calls!) and people who dial in for
other reasons complain that it's busy too often with news calls, and
ask me to get other lines.

I don't know how people who feed over long distance lines can put up
with it!
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (02/25/88)

Bill Wisner (wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU) writes:
| (article <7080@uunet.UU.NET>, newsstats@uunet.UU.NET)
| >>          No. of        $ Cost  % of  Cumulative
| >> Rank  Kbytes Articles per Site Total  % of Total  Group
| >>    1  1175.9     696     36.75  3.5%     3.5%     comp.sys.ibm.pc (1.7)
| >>    2  1066.7     948     33.33  3.1%     6.6%     soc.singles (3.0)
| >>    3  1038.4     698     32.45  3.1%     9.7%     soc.women (2.9)
| >>    4  1035.2    1263     32.35  3.1%    12.7%     talk.bizarre (6.2)
|
| I would even ask if Mr. Rubin has the tiniest shred of a sense of humor.

As I don't know Mr. Rubin, I won't comment directly on his sense of humor,
but I suspect that it is much like that of most people who are responsible
for the use of machine resources.  Most people in such a position probably
would find a talk.bizarre that had a "% of Total" somewhere below 1.0%
to be at least mildly humorous.  Most people in such a position probably
find the current talk.bizarre, with a 3.1% value to be quite sad.

Bill suggests later in his article that if a site doesn't like talk.bizarre,
then they can stop taking it.  This is quite true.  I find it very odd that
someone would want to encourage the kind of behaviour that will lead to
increasing numbers of administrators taking exactly that action.

[Note:  This article is not going to talk.bizarre, because I don't support
the "talk" groups.  Never did.  Never will.  It is also not going to
alt.flame, because I don't support institutionalized flaming on the net.
The groups aren't here, so I can't post to them.]
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

> ... many find the group entertaining...

How many of them are willing to help pay for it?  On past evidence, damn few.

> I would even ask if Mr. Rubin has the tiniest shred of a sense of humor.

It's amazing how little amusement one gets out of paying large phone bills,
scrambling to find more disk space, placating users who demand to know why
the modems are always busy when they want to do real work, etc.  You should
try it some time.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

kyl@homxb.UUCP (Cindy) (02/27/88)

In article <1435@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> In article <8272@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> >In article <1156WGRCU@CUNYVM> [god, no, not BITNET!] WGRCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
> >(Bill Rubin) grumps to news.admin:
> >>Now, I have never read talk.bizarre, and I know there are some sites
> >>which do not carry the talk. groups, but we have decided not to do this
> >>here, because we feel that it is important that we carry as much as
> >>possible.
> >>
> >>But when I see this kind of garbage, posted not once but three times, I
> >>have to wonder if we are making the correct decision. I would ask if
> >>people realize the overhead involved in each message they post, but the
> >>obvious answer in this case is that they could care less. At minimum,
> >>talk.bizarre postings are going to get a much shorter life at my site.
> >
> >This, students, is a textbook case of WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Yes, that's
> >right, WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Apologies to greg.
> >
> >I would even ask if Mr. Rubin has the tiniest shred of a sense of humor.
> >
> >Alas, the obvious answer in this case is no.
> >
> >I'm done preaching. I'll go post 96K to talk.bizarre now. Good day.
>
> I have to say that Bill Rubin is right, and that what we have is a textbook
> case of a whiny talk.bizarre reader.  I read net.bizarre when it started
> for a while, and there were a few good things.  When I started
> rec.humor.funny, I read talk.bizarre for 2 months to see if I could cull
> anything funny, and I found only 1 item.  (I'll admit I'm tough)
>
> All this would be fine if it weren't for this stuff that's going
> on there right now about "pumping up the volume" and trying to get the
> highest volume on the net.  Talk.bizarre is surpassed in per reader
> cost only by some binary/source groups and talk.politics/religion/abortion
> groups.
>
> I tell you I get more and more serious every day about my idea of putting
> high volume groups on probation.  This crazy attitude is costing everybody
> real money.  Certain types of groups feed more volume in an upward
> spiral.  I get my news feed locally, so up to now I haven't had much
> to complain about except the money I've spent on bigger disk packs.  But
> now my feed keeps asking me to spend $1,000 on a Telebit because dialin
> times are too long (even for local calls!) and people who dial in for
> other reasons complain that it's busy too often with news calls, and
> ask me to get other lines.
>
> I don't know how people who feed over long distance lines can put up
> with it!
> --
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

    Brad,

       That article just cost the net thousands and thousands of dollars.
       Now don't you feel bad about doing the very thing you complained about?

            Cindy

wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (02/27/88)

In article <1435@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I have to say that Bill Rubin is right, and that what we have is a textbook
>case of a whiny talk.bizarre reader.  I read net.bizarre when it started
>for a while, and there were a few good things.  When I started
>rec.humor.funny, I read talk.bizarre for 2 months to see if I could cull
>anything funny, and I found only 1 item.  (I'll admit I'm tough)

I have to say that Brad Templeton is wrong, and that what we have is a
textbook case of an administrator who can't be bothered with the facts.
I don't read talk.bizarre.

..b

In an article with a REAL long ID, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>It's amazing how little amusement one gets out of paying large phone bills,
>scrambling to find more disk space, placating users who demand to know why
>the modems are always busy when they want to do real work, etc.  You should
>try it some time.

Are we going around in circles? This brings me back to my original article:
if you don't like the damned group, drop it!

..b

esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (02/27/88)

In article <8272@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>In article <1156WGRCU@CUNYVM> [god, no, not BITNET!] WGRCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

>>  ... Some gunuine concerns about the idea that has gotten into
>>      the head of some talk bizarre posters. Some seem to think it
>>      would be a very bizarre and funny thing if they could post
>>      so much as to make the group #1 in traffic.

>This, students, is a textbook case of WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Yes, that's
>right, WHINY ADMINISTRATOR. Apologies to greg.
>
>I would even ask if Mr. Rubin has the tiniest shred of a sense of humor.
>
>Alas, the obvious answer in this case is no.
>
>I'm done preaching. I'll go post 96K to talk.bizarre now. Good day.

Real bright move Bill. You just go right ahead. Id give talk.bizarre
about a one week life span if it ever hit #1. I know I would get rid of
it here if that happened. And Im quite sure many other sites would too.
Do you have something serious against the group?

Personally I think the talk/soc and even the alt groups are good
things. They add a little humanity to the net.  I even read ole
talk.bizarre when Im in the right mood, and once or twice posted.  But
the attitude that Mr Bill and some other posters to talk.bizarre seem
to take realy bugs me. What can mass posting prove?  "Hey, I only
posted 10K today; ok, ill just post strings vmunix to talk.bizarre.
Wow man, pretty bizarre eh? What a sense of humor have I"
I can only call this kind of thinking childish.

I hope the readers and posters in talk.bizarre remember this:  Posting
anything and everything, just to become the #1 newsgroup, will end the
group. Its that simple. No one who has to worry about disk space or
phone bills will even think twice.

--
In Real Life:           Internet: esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Eric S. Johnson II      UUCP: ...{codas!gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!esj

greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak) (02/27/88)

In article <11838@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) writes:
>>I'm done preaching. I'll go post 96K to talk.bizarre now. Good day.

>Real bright move Bill. You just go right ahead. Id give talk.bizarre
>about a one week life span if it ever hit #1. I know I would get rid of
>it here if that happened. And Im quite sure many other sites would too.

Soc.singles was # 1. Soc.women was #2. Would you "give them a one week
life span" if they hit #1? If not, why not? I don't read soc.women or
soc.singles; How can you say that what I get out of talk.bizarre is
any less worthy of net.support than what the soc.singles or soc.women
readers get out of their newsgroups? Are you seriously saying that the
fact that our method of letting off steam is less valid than the soc.
peoples'? When you change your position to one of campaigning for the
end of any non-comp group that moves to #1, then you'll be
believeable. As long as you're just targeting talk.bizarre, you DO
sound like a whiny administrator with no sense of humor.

>Personally I think the talk/soc and even the alt groups are good
>things. They add a little humanity to the net.

Glad you agree. So go bother soc.singles and soc.women. You want mail?
Tell soc.singles or soc.women that you'll start a movement to delete
the groups if they "accidentally" post too much and come out ahead of
comp.sys.ibm.pc? [comp.sys.ibm.pc had 1176 KB in the latest stats,
soc.singles had 1067, and soc.women had 1038, so it's quite possible
for either of these two groups to place first.] I repeat, once you
start complaining about volume in general, and not just talk.bizarre,
you'll be believable.

> I even read ole
>talk.bizarre when Im in the right mood, and once or twice posted.  But
>the attitude that Mr Bill and some other posters to talk.bizarre seem
>to take realy bugs me. What can mass posting prove?  "Hey, I only
>posted 10K today; ok, ill just post strings vmunix to talk.bizarre.

Talking about VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME is one of the traditions of
talk.bizarre; do you seriously believe that the massed minions of
talk.bizarre are struggling mightily day and night to post volume and
only come up with 1035 KB for the month? Give us more credit than
that. No one has been posting strings vmunix (but thanks for the idea!
:-); standards are a lot higher than that. If you really read
talk.bizarre, if you were familiar with our CULTURE, you'd know that
"VOLUME" is just an abbreviation. What we really mean is VOLUME with
CONTENT. Trust me on this -- NO ONE on the net gets flamed more
mightily than a talk.bizarre poster who posts VOLUME without content.
If you understand the concept of running jokes on the net, accept the
fact that the talk about VOLUME on talk.bizarre is one of them.  If
you devoted a moment's thought to the matter, you'd realize that
restraint IS being exercised, otherwise we WOULD be #1. The fact that
volume is so high just testifies to the fact that talk.bizarre is a
VERY popular group AMONG ITS READERS. Sure, the per-reader cost is
high, but so is the articles posted per reader -- meaning that people
are getting something out of the group and contributing to it.

>I hope the readers and posters in talk.bizarre remember this:  Posting
>anything and everything, just to become the #1 newsgroup, will end the
>group. Its that simple. No one who has to worry about disk space or
>phone bills will even think twice.

Read the group for a while, learn the in-jokes, and *then* decide if
we're posting nothing but gibberish. Don't make assumptions based on 0
evidence. Sysadmins should have better judgment.

--
...!seismo!princeton!phoenix!greg

                                 Greg Nowak/Phoenix Gang/Princeton NJ 08540

webber@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (02/28/88)

In article <134@falkor.UUCP>, heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
> | (article <7080@uunet.UU.NET>, newsstats@uunet.UU.NET)
> for the use of machine resources.  Most people in such a position probably
> would find a talk.bizarre that had a "% of Total" somewhere below 1.0%
> to be at least mildly humorous.  Most people in such a position probably
> find the current talk.bizarre, with a 3.1% value to be quite sad.

Yes it is quite sad.  Sad that so many beancounters have made so much
of the net sufficiently unfriendly that so many people are being ghettoized
into talk.bizarre.

------ BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

ccs026@deneb.ucdavis.edu (-=paul=-) (02/28/88)

Gregory Nowak writes:
>             How can you say that what I get out of talk.bizarre is
>any less worthy of net.support than what the soc.singles or soc.women
>readers get out of their newsgroups? Are you seriously saying that the
>fact that our method of letting off steam is less valid than the soc.
>peoples'?

if you get rid of soc.women, you are instantly labeled a
chauvanist and oppressor.  soc.singles probably stays
alive because everybody can relate to being without a mate
at some time or another.

talk.bizarre, they're the weirdos.  let's get rid of them.

don't think for a minute that discrimination is dead.

>--
>...!seismo!princeton!phoenix!greg
>

>                                 Greg Nowak/Phoenix Gang/Princeton NJ 08540

-=paul=-
(no song quote, for once i'm serious)

headroom@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (The only computer-generated user at UWM) (02/29/88)

Brad Templeton whines:
}
[...]

I think your wrong.

I'm just posting this for VOLUME.......

Mark "Probation.....HAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!" Lippert
net.average.joe
"'M' is for the many things she taught me..." - Oedipus
uwvax!uwmcsd1!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!headroom

Eric S. Johnson eye eye writes:
}Real bright move Bill. You just go right ahead. Id give talk.bizarre
}about a one week life span if it ever hit #1. I know I would get rid of
}it here if that happened. And Im quite sure many other sites would too.

I truly hope you do.  Then REAL people wouldn't have to put up with your
random blatherings.

}Do you have something serious against the group?

Is ANYONE serious in this group?  No, I don't think so.......
Now let's do a simple test........Ok, try and think (yes, I know it's hard)
where exactly are you?  Did you say "talk.bizarre?"  Very good.  I knew you
could.
Now why in the net.goddesses name would a group like this be created?  Because
THERE WAS ENOUGH INTREST [echo echo echo].
I don't think it will be removed that easily.....besides, if it was, these
loonies would be forced to write to so called normal groups.....I don't
believe you would be stupid enough to allow that....

}Personally I think the talk/soc and even the alt groups are good
}things. They add a little humanity to the net.  I even read ole
}talk.bizarre when Im in the right mood, and once or twice posted.  But

Ye Gads!  That's what that putrid scent was.....

}the attitude that Mr Bill and some other posters to talk.bizarre seem
}to take realy bugs me. What can mass posting prove?  "Hey, I only
}posted 10K today; ok, ill just post strings vmunix to talk.bizarre.
}Wow man, pretty bizarre eh? What a sense of humor have I"

At least I have one, you tight-ass.....

}I can only call this kind of thinking childish.

Well, I'm rubber and your glue; whatever you say bounces off me and sticks
to you!

}I hope the readers and posters in talk.bizarre remember this:  Posting
}anything and everything, just to become the #1 newsgroup, will end the
}group. Its that simple. No one who has to worry about disk space or
}phone bills will even think twice.

Well, what the hell is the sense of having a newsgroup if you can't post.
Remember what I said above.....you are in talk.bizarre....It's a newsgroup
designed especially for stupidity.  We're bored here with the mundane;
becoming the #1 newsgroup give us something to do.  Would you rather have
up breaking into NORAD or something?  Besides, I don't see anyone rushing to
remove comp.ibm.pc or whatever that #1 newsgroup was......

The entire point is: if someone didn't think each and every newsgroup on the
net was important, that group wouldn't be here.

[obnoxious .signature deleated]

and here comes my always entertaining sig.....

Mark "Still waiting for probation" Lippert
net.average.joe
"Were you looking for me?" - Dr. Livingston
uwvax!uwmcsd1!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!headroom

jsb@dasys1.UUCP (The Invisible Man) (03/01/88)

In article <11838@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) writes:
>posted 10K today; ok, ill just post strings vmunix to talk.bizarre.

strings vmunix?  I'm a frayed knot!

--
Jim Baumbach					{uunet}!mstan\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!jsb

jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) (03/02/88)

In article <1870@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, greg@phoenix.UUCP writes:
> In article <11838@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) writes:
> >>I'm done preaching. I'll go post 96K to talk.bizarre now. Good day.
>
> >Real bright move Bill. You just go right ahead. Id give talk.bizarre
> >about a one week life span if it ever hit #1. I know I would get rid of
> >it here if that happened. And Im quite sure many other sites would too.
>
> Soc.singles was # 1. Soc.women was #2. Would you "give them a one week
> life span" if they hit #1? If not, why not? I don't read soc.women or
> soc.singles; How can you say that what I get out of talk.bizarre is
> any less worthy of net.support than what the soc.singles or soc.women
> readers get out of their newsgroups?

I get paid to support Usenet (among many other things).  I won't say
that talk.bizarre is any *less* worthy of my time than the aforementioned
soc groups.  They are all *equally* unworthy of my time, period.  Am I
a fascist sysadmin? Perhaps.  Do I care if that's what you think of me?
Nope.  The people around here get paid to design automobiles, not to
waste the company's time and money arguing with psychotic feminists,
arguing the merits of singles bars, or (worst case) posting juvenile,
often unintelligible nonsense to the ends of the earth.  It is for this
reason that I have chosen to eliminate the talk/soc groups from our
feed.  Besides, I was getting a little tired of coming in every
morning and seeing "file system full" on my console screen.

> Are you seriously saying that the
> fact that our method of letting off steam is less valid than the soc.
> peoples'?

I put it to you that Usenet does not exist to provide you with a
psychological relief valve.  Your method for letting off steam is,
again, no less valid than the soc. peoples' (sic).  THEY ARE
*EQUALLY* INVALID.  You go check any bit of documentation ever written
on the subject of Usenet.  I will bet that *nowhere* will you find
that Usenet exists to provide anyone with a method of letting off
steam.  In fact, one of the biggest problems I see with Usenet is that
too many people view it as a screaming forum.  Here is a news flash
for you:  Usenet access is *not* a constitutionally guaranteed right.
It is a privilege.  If it is abused, I'm all for cutting it off.
This business of shooting for number one on the volume chart is not
only counterproductive to the intents of Usenet, it is also typical
of intensified adolescent behavior.  Why don't you try something
constructive, like becoming number one in quantum physics, or even
interpersonal communication?

> When you change your position to one of campaigning for the
> end of any non-comp group that moves to #1, then you'll be
> believeable.

By taking this to it's logical conclusion, we can see that this will
eventually lead to the extinction of *all* non-comp groups.  I don't
think anyone has suggested this.

> As long as you're just targeting talk.bizarre, you DO
> sound like a whiny administrator with no sense of humor.

While *you* sound like a whiny college student who should spend more
time in English class, and less time crying about the potential loss
of your favorite toy.

> >Personally I think the talk/soc and even the alt groups are good
> >things. They add a little humanity to the net.

More like mysogeny.

> Glad you agree. So go bother soc.singles and soc.women. You want mail?
> Tell soc.singles or soc.women that you'll start a movement to delete
> the groups if they "accidentally" post too much and come out ahead of
> comp.sys.ibm.pc? [comp.sys.ibm.pc had 1176 KB in the latest stats,
> soc.singles had 1067, and soc.women had 1038, so it's quite possible
> for either of these two groups to place first.] I repeat, once you
> start complaining about volume in general, and not just talk.bizarre,
> you'll be believable.

Jesus H. Christ,  when will people learn that they can't justify their
abuse of a resource by pointing out other, possibly greater, examples
of similar abuse?  Two wrongs don't make a right.

> > I even read ole
> >talk.bizarre when Im in the right mood, and once or twice posted.  But
> >the attitude that Mr Bill and some other posters to talk.bizarre seem
> >to take realy bugs me. What can mass posting prove?  "Hey, I only
> >posted 10K today; ok, ill just post strings vmunix to talk.bizarre.
>
> Talking about VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME is one of the traditions of
> talk.bizarre; do you seriously believe that the massed minions of
> talk.bizarre are struggling mightily day and night to post volume and
> only come up with 1035 KB for the month?

Yes! 1035 KB is a *lot* of verbal nothingness.

> Give us more credit than
> that. No one has been posting strings vmunix (but thanks for the idea!
> :-); standards are a lot higher than that. If you really read
> talk.bizarre, if you were familiar with our CULTURE, you'd know that
> "VOLUME" is just an abbreviation. What we really mean is VOLUME with
> CONTENT.

*That* is rich!  Volume with content.  Laughable, if it weren't so
expensive. Of course, *you* wouldn't know about *that* would you?

> Trust me on this -- NO ONE on the net gets flamed more
> mightily than a talk.bizarre poster who posts VOLUME without content.
> If you understand the concept of running jokes on the net, accept the
> fact that the talk about VOLUME on talk.bizarre is one of them.  If
> you devoted a moment's thought to the matter, you'd realize that
> restraint IS being exercised, otherwise we WOULD be #1. The fact that
> volume is so high just testifies to the fact that talk.bizarre is a
> VERY popular group AMONG ITS READERS. Sure, the per-reader cost is
> high, but so is the articles posted per reader -- meaning that people
> are getting something out of the group and contributing to it.
>
> >I hope the readers and posters in talk.bizarre remember this:  Posting
> >anything and everything, just to become the #1 newsgroup, will end the
> >group. Its that simple. No one who has to worry about disk space or
> >phone bills will even think twice.
>
> Read the group for a while, learn the in-jokes, and *then* decide if
> we're posting nothing but gibberish. Don't make assumptions based on 0
> evidence. Sysadmins should have better judgment.

*I* have read the group.  *I* have learned the in-jokes.  Talk.bizarre
is not so much a newsgroup, as a clique.  You speak of people being
flamed for posting volume without content.  In reality, the people who
receive the worst flames, are the people who are not accepted by your
little clique.  For example, one Eric Madding was continually, publicly
chastised for posting his views to talk.bizarre.  Now, one may not
agree with Mr. Madding's views, but, the very name "talk.bizarre" does
imply that one may post whatever one wishes, even random keystrokes if
one is so inclined.  And I have seen postings in that group which were
exactly that.  Volume without content indeed.

> ...!seismo!princeton!phoenix!greg

In closing, I would say that talk.bizarre can best be thought of as a
luxury.  It is in no way vital to the well being of the net, or the
people posting to it.  However, when the people who pay the tab for
this luxury feel that it is being abused, they are within their
rights to say so.  And they should be able to do so without having to
put up with all this self righteous bullshit from the people who are
the worst offenders.

Jim Sitek

ron@ccd700.UUCP (ron) (03/02/88)

> I get paid to support Usenet (among many other things).  I won't say
> that talk.bizarre is any *less* worthy of my time than the aforementioned
> soc groups.  They are all *equally* unworthy of my time, period.  Am I
> a fascist sysadmin? Perhaps.  Do I care if that's what you think of me?
> Nope.  The people around here get paid to design automobiles, not to
> waste the company's time and money arguing with psychotic feminists,
> arguing the merits of singles bars, or (worst case) posting juvenile,
> often unintelligible nonsense to the ends of the earth.  It is for this
> reason that I have chosen to eliminate the talk/soc groups from our
> feed.  Besides, I was getting a little tired of coming in every
> morning and seeing "file system full" on my console screen.

	Jim is quite correct in his attitude towards the missuse
of the network that is shown by the contents of talk.bizzare and the
soc. groups.  In all the time I have serviced these news feeds
I have only seen an increasing load of verbal orgasm and primadona
screaming matches.  This is not to say that ALL of the material
is trash, just an ever increasing percentage AND volume.

	YES! we have shut off the talk and soc groups.  This leaf
was installed as an information resource for this area of Ford and
only exists to serve that purpose.  We could no longer justify
the time and expense of accepting the TRASH!

> In closing, I would say that talk.bizarre can best be thought of as a
> luxury.  It is in no way vital to the well being of the net, or the
> people posting to it.  However, when the people who pay the tab for
> this luxury feel that it is being abused, they are within their
> rights to say so.  And they should be able to do so without having to
> put up with all this self righteous bullshit from the people who are
> the worst offenders.
>
> Jim Sitek

Thanks Jim!
ron tribble
...mibte!ccd700!ron

silverio@spam.berkeley.edu (christine silverio) (03/03/88)

In article <129@ccd700.UUCP> jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) writes:

>I put it to you that Usenet does not exist to provide you with a
>psychological relief valve.  Your method for letting off steam is,
>again, no less valid than the soc. peoples' (sic).  THEY ARE
>*EQUALLY* INVALID.  You go check any bit of documentation ever written
>on the subject of Usenet.  I will bet that *nowhere* will you find
>that Usenet exists to provide anyone with a method of letting off
>steam.

People like this are counterproductive to the intents of USENET.
It is becoming an over-regulated middle-manager's heaven,
where anal-retentive types like Sitek can spout off against
the very people who create things like the net.  People
who think need to play, and I don't think a reasonable
person can dispute that.  Sitek's version of the net has
all the comp groups, maybe his favorite rec.sport group because
HE reads it (therefore it's valid), and a vast wasteland
where the fun and personal contact of the net come in.

>> As long as you're just targeting talk.bizarre, you DO
>> sound like a whiny administrator with no sense of humor.

>While *you* sound like a whiny college student who should spend more
>time in English class, and less time crying about the potential loss
>of your favorite toy.

Yes, I think we've got a case of whiny administrator here.
Whiny constipated administrator.

>> >Personally I think the talk/soc and even the alt groups are good
>> >things. They add a little humanity to the net.

>More like mysogeny. (sic)

Good thing we can all spell, here.  Oh yeah, spelling flames aren't
allowed, except when administrator-types want to insult the
intelligence of other, lesser, users.

[lots of volume-creating drivel deleted.  Did you really have to
quote ALL that, Sitek?  Or were you trying to drive up the VOLUME?]

>> ...!seismo!princeton!phoenix!greg

>....  However, when the people who pay the tab for
>this luxury feel that it is being abused, they are within their
>rights to say so.  And they should be able to do so without having to
>put up with all this self righteous bullshit from the people who are
>the worst offenders.

Sitek flames himself all too well with that last sentence.
Congratulations.  Greg couldn't have done better if he'd tried.
Though no doubt he'll find a way.  Go for it, Greg, in the
interests of anarchy, creative thought, and, how could I
forget, VOLUME.

>Jim Sitek

CJ Silverio,
both a serious and a recreational user of the Net

mfs@edison.GE.COM (Pissed Off @ Communistic Site Dictators) (03/04/88)

In article <131@ccd700.UUCP>, ron@ccd700.UUCP (ron) writes:
> > put up with all this self righteous bullshit from the people who are
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black ?

> > Jim Sitek
>
> Thanks Jim!
> ron tribble

And to think, I never used to read this newsgroup !  What entertainment!

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) (03/07/88)

I'll take pity on our trans-continental friends and limit this to
North America.

In article <129@ccd700.UUCP> jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) writes:
>I get paid to support Usenet (among many other things).  I won't say
>that talk.bizarre is any *less* worthy of my time than the aforementioned
>soc groups.  They are all *equally* unworthy of my time, period.  Am I
>a fascist sysadmin? Perhaps.  Do I care if that's what you think of me?
>Nope.  The people around here get paid to design automobiles, not to
>waste the company's time and money arguing with psychotic feminists,
>arguing the merits of singles bars, or (worst case) posting juvenile,
>often unintelligible nonsense to the ends of the earth.  It is for this
>reason that I have chosen to eliminate the talk/soc groups from our
>feed.  Besides, I was getting a little tired of coming in every
>morning and seeing "file system full" on my console screen.

Should we collectively worry about what Jim thinks of us?  Let's
examine the latest available information from the UUCP map:

#N	ccd700
#S	fortune 32:16
#O	Ford Climate Control
#C	Jim Sitek, Ron Tribble
#E	ccd700!jim, ccd700!ron
#W	ccd700!ron (ron tribble); Wed Aug  26 10:58:55 EDT 1987
#
ccd700	mibte(DAILY*3)

The map entry for Jim's site is a bit old but it appears that ccd700
is, at best, a leaf node.  While I respect Jim's right to do whatever
he wants with the system he administers and to the people who
read the news at his site, I would submit that his pontifications
are pretty irrelevent to the overall flow of net traffic.  In other
words, Jim is hand waving.

I seen several postings from administrators announcing that for
various reasons, mostly seeming to revolve around the content
of a group or something an individual poster to a group posted,
they were going to strike the big blow and axe various groups
from the systems they administer.  Unquestionably, that is
within their purview.  By dropping the big one, one would expect
that these administrators have solved their problem.  No longer
do these groups impact on their machine resources, communications
budgets or threaten the work ethic of their user.

Why then do they feel the need to proclaim their rightiousness
to the rest of us?  Do they really feel they need to justify
their actions to us?  Nay, I suspect there is a hidden agenda
in these postings.

--
Greg Laskin
"When everybody's talking and nobody's listening, how can we decide?"

david@pacbell.UUCP (David St.Pierre) (03/08/88)

In article <2795@gryphon.CTS.COM> greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) writes:
>I'll take pity on our trans-continental friends and limit this to
>North America.

I assume you mean intercontinental, but who has time to use a dictionary
when there's talk.bizarre, eh?

>In article <129@ccd700.UUCP> jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) writes:
>>I get paid to support Usenet (among many other things).  I won't say
 ... text deleted ...

>Should we collectively worry about what Jim thinks of us?  Let's
>examine the latest available information from the UUCP map:

>The map entry for Jim's site is a bit old but it appears that ccd700
>is, at best, a leaf node.  While I respect Jim's right to do whatever

OK, if you want to hear from a bigger site, I've enclosed my stats for
a week from the two machines I maintain at the bottom of the article.
Along with one or two other sites, I provide the majority of the UUCP-based
news traffic in northern California. I am not an official backbone because
I don't like bureaucracy (if it can be helped ... I work in a big one)
and don't like the instant notoriety which seems to come with the annointment.
'Sides, I don't need a title to provide support for others.

>I seen several postings from administrators announcing that for
>various reasons, mostly seeming to revolve around the content
>of a group or something an individual poster to a group posted,
>they were going to strike the big blow and axe various groups
>from the systems they administer.  Unquestionably, that is
>within their purview.  By dropping the big one, one would expect
>that these administrators have solved their problem.  No longer
>do these groups impact on their machine resources, communications
>budgets or threaten the work ethic of their user.

Are we dripping heavy sarcasm here or what? Most companies do have an
invisible line dividing good taste from bad. I've had to defend netnews
once. One manager wanted netnews pulled from all machines. I succeeded
in keeping it alive and well but I feel that some *one* person would
always be held accountable for our use of news. So I've adopted the
golden rule. My machine, my rules.

I don't know if there's a parallel here or not, but I'll note that over
180,000 Californians think that freedom of speech stops with Dial-A-Porn
calls and are requesting complete 976 blocking. I suspect that there are
similar figures around the US. People are saying "while you may have the
right to say what you want, I don't necessarily have to give you unrestricted
access to me {home, company}.

>Why then do they feel the need to proclaim their rightiousness
>to the rest of us?  Do they really feel they need to justify
>their actions to us?  Nay, I suspect there is a hidden agenda
>in these postings.

Interesting. My preference is to take action and not broadcast it to the
world. It's nobody's business but mine and the people I feed. However,
your criticism seems too self-serving to ignore.

Reaffirming or rephrasing the original comments, I'm:

	tired of running low or out of i-nodes
	tired of running low or out of disk blocks
	tired of getting mail from my downstream neighbors about the same
	tired of 6-12 modems going non-stop (literally) for days on end
	tired of my downstream feeds complaining about 8-hour uucp connections
		tying up their more limited dial connections
	tired of endlessly babysitting netnews, recovering feeds, etc

Maybe talk.bizarre isn't the first or only problem area. All I know is I've
done about everything I can think of short of removing newsgroups to keep
news flowing and providing full feeds to those who ask. Now I think I have
to "give them the axe, the axe, the axe"

Netnews statistics for pacbell from Feb 29 01:28 to Mar 7 06:17

System		Accept	Reject	Junked	Xmit to	Control	% total	% rejct
LOCAL         	     0	     0	     0	     14	      0	     0%	     0%
amdahl        	    46	    33	     0	    334	     16	     0%	    41%
att-ih        	   878	  2264	     0	   6134	      5	    20%	    72%
comdim        	     0	     0	     0	     34	      0	     0%	     0%
ctnews        	     1	     6	     0	     33	      0	     0%	    85%
disapollo     	     0	     0	     0	     16	      0	     0%	     0%
dplace        	     1	     0	     0	   9764	      0	     0%	     0%
eeg           	     0	     0	     0	   7465	      0	     0%	     0%
gladys        	     7	     5	     0	     27	      0	     0%	    41%
ista          	     0	     0	     0	   5041	      0	     0%	     0%
jtphilli      	     0	     0	     0	     84	      0	     0%	     0%
kdq           	     0	     0	     0	     21	      0	     0%	     0%
lamc          	     8	     4	     0	      0	      2	     0%	    33%
latenite      	     0	     0	     0	   8042	      0	     0%	     0%
local         	     2	     0	     0	      0	      0	     0%	     0%
maxepr        	     2	     0	     0	    584	      0	     0%	     0%
pb2esac       	     1	     0	     0	  11199	      0	     0%	     0%
pbcast        	     0	     2	     0	      0	      0	     0%	   100%
pbhacker      	     0	     0	     0	    165	      0	     0%	     0%
pbhya         	   284	     0	     0	  11199	      0	     1%	     0%
pbhyb         	     0	     0	     0	  11199	      0	     0%	     0%
pbhyc         	     4	     0	     0	  11199	      0	     0%	     0%
pbhyd         	     0	     0	     0	  11199	      0	     0%	     0%
pbhye         	     3	     0	     0	  11199	      0	     0%	     0%
pbhyf         	    45	     0	     0	  11199	      1	     0%	     0%
pbhyg         	    13	     0	     0	  11199	      0	     0%	     0%
pbody         	     6	     0	     0	    298	      0	     0%	     0%
pbsaint       	     0	     0	     0	    943	      0	     0%	     0%
pbsdts        	     0	     0	     0	     87	      0	     0%	     0%
pcbox         	     1	     0	     0	   2323	      0	     0%	     0%
ptsfa         	 11248	    84	     0	   1280	     35	    75%	     0%
pyramid       	     7	     9	     0	     51	      0	     0%	    56%
qantelham     	     0	     0	     0	     97	      0	     0%	     0%
rencon        	     0	     0	     0	     24	      0	     0%	     0%
safari        	     0	     0	     0	     34	      0	     0%	     0%
tandem        	     1	     0	     0	  12057	      0	     0%	     0%
topacbell     	     0	     0	     0	      4	      0	     0%	     0%
vixie         	     3	     0	     0	      0	      0	     0%	     0%
xptty35       	     0	     0	     0	     23	      0	     0%	     0%
zorch         	     4	     6	     0	     30	      0	     0%	    60%

TOTALS        	 12565	  2413	     0	 144601	     59	   100%	    16%

Total Articles processed 14978
Netnews statistics for ptsfa from Feb 29 00:50 to Mar 7 00:16

System		Accept	Reject	Junked	Xmit to	Control	% total	% rejct
LOCAL         	     0	     0	     0	     13	      0	     0%	     0%
amdahl        	    64	    95	     0	     42	      2	     1%	    59%
ames          	 10751	   270	     0	    752	     36	    77%	     2%
belltec       	     0	     0	     0	   3128	      0	     0%	     0%
cfcl          	     0	     0	     0	  11335	      0	     0%	     0%
cogent        	     0	     0	     0	  11367	      0	     0%	     0%
cpro          	     0	     0	     0	  11645	      0	     0%	     0%
dual          	     0	     0	     0	  11686	      0	     0%	     0%
eeg           	     1	   384	     0	   3181	      0	     2%	    99%
hippo         	     0	     0	     0	  11335	      0	     0%	     0%
hoptoad       	    23	   370	     0	   9959	      5	     2%	    94%
ihnp4         	     2	   319	     0	   3544	      0	     2%	    99%
ista          	     0	    16	     0	   2249	      0	     0%	   100%
lamc          	     7	     3	     0	  11335	      2	     0%	    30%
laticorp      	     0	     0	     0	  11335	      0	     0%	     0%
lll-lcc       	     7	    88	     0	    833	      0	     0%	    92%
lll-tis       	   145	   204	    11	    875	      3	     2%	    58%
local         	    12	     0	     0	      0	      0	     0%	     0%
maps          	     0	     0	     0	     83	      0	     0%	     0%
maxepr        	     0	     0	     0	    291	      0	     0%	     0%
nonvon        	     0	     0	     0	  11335	      0	     0%	     0%
pacbell       	  1001	   113	     0	  11060	      5	     7%	    10%
pmt1          	     0	     0	     0	   2625	      0	     0%	     0%
pyramid       	    24	    62	     0	     47	      1	     0%	    72%
rencon        	     3	    21	     0	  11343	      0	     0%	    87%
rtech         	     0	     0	     0	     32	      0	     0%	     0%
safari        	     0	     2	     0	      0	      0	     0%	   100%
ski           	     0	     0	     0	   4520	      0	     0%	     0%
trane         	     0	     0	     0	  11335	      0	     0%	     0%
unet          	     0	     0	     0	  11335	      0	     0%	     0%
varian        	    30	     4	     0	  11657	      1	     0%	    11%
vixie         	     0	     0	     0	  11335	      0	     0%	     0%
well          	    16	   177	     0	  11335	      1	     1%	    91%

TOTALS        	 12086	  2128	    11	 202947	     56	   100%	    14%

Total Articles processed 14214, deadlock 1

--
David St. Pierre    415/823-6800  {ihnp4,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!david

jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) (03/09/88)

This is a reply to C J Silverio.  In the interest of brevity, I have
excluded both my fairly rational presentation of my point of view, and
C J's juvenile, illogical, *insulting* rantings.

C J, Nowhere in your posting did you refute even one small point that I
made.  Just what, exactly, was *your* point?  Do you have a problem with
the way I administer my system?  Too bad.  *I* am a system administrator.
Are you?  I doubt it because if you were, you would realize that there is
more to the job than simply making sure that self centered *users* like
yourself can read the bizarroids. Grow up, kid.  If you do, you will
discover that "anarchy, creative thought and ... VOLUME", as you interpret
them, are nothing more than collegiate buzz-words, and there is a big
bad, corporate world out there that doesn't have time for your shit.

I went to college too,
then I grew up.

Jim Sitek

jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) (03/11/88)

In article <2795@gryphon.CTS.COM>, greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) writes:

> Should we collectively worry about what Jim thinks of us?

[Thoughtful posting deleted.  If you wish to review it, look it up.]

> Why then do they feel the need to proclaim their rightiousness
> to the rest of us?  Do they really feel they need to justify
> their actions to us?  Nay, I suspect there is a hidden agenda
> in these postings.

Damn right there is.  Being a leaf node, we obviously don't have to
justify our policies to anyone, save perhaps our users.  However,
are we not within our rights when we challenge the "VOLUME, VOLUME,
VOLUME" mentality running wild in certain groups?  Or should we
simply ignore the posted threats to "take over the comp groups"?
These issues are as real to us as they are to backbone sites.  Not
everyone is running this on a VAX, you know.

Perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been.  My opinions of
certain high volume groups have been posted, and quoted in your
article.  However, I did not blow off these groups because *I* did
not like them.  I did it because I didn't feel that we were getting
any return on the time and money it took to support them.  How can I
justify charging my client (Ford Motor Company) a rather hefty
consulting fee for supporting what are, essentially, forums for
baiting, and insulting people?  Am I the only site trying to deal with
*that* problem?

As for proclaiming our rightiousness, I suppose it did come across that
way.  However, remember that my message was a response to someone who
was claiming a divine right to do what they damn well please, while
ignoring the consequences of their actions.  It is *exactly* this
same mindset that allows tons of toxic garbage to be poured
into our rivers, lakes, and air.  So here is a new phrase for you:
Network Pollution, those postings which serve no identifiable purpose,
other than to ruffle feathers, while showing a blatent disregard for
their possible long range impact on network resources.  Is this a
stupid concept?  Let's wait and see.

You are quite correct in saying that my concerns have very little
impact upon network traffic in general.  However, I don't feel that
our being a leaf site, should diminish the validity of my opinions
concerning the general health of the net, or those attitudes that I
find disturbing.  Nor should this preclude me from posting them.

Finally, we are working on providing news feeds to at least three
new sites.  That is, unless we become further disenchanted and decide
to permanently terminate our relationship with Usenet.

Jim Sitek

Disclaimer: I speak for myself. My views do not necessarily represent
	    the views of the Ford Motor Company.

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (03/12/88)

In article <8301@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>In an article with a REAL long ID, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>It's amazing how little amusement one gets out of paying large phone bills,
>>scrambling to find more disk space, placating users who demand to know why
>>the modems are always busy when they want to do real work, etc.  You should
>>try it some time.
>
>Are we going around in circles? This brings me back to my original article:
>if you don't like the damned group, drop it!

God knows or cares what your original article said, but it is *not* as
simple as "dropping" a group.  The support a site provides for a newsgroup
also involves feeding it on down the line to the next site!  Childish antics
in a group can create a situation where a site administrator may be forced
to censor that group to down-line sites!

Our system is about 2 weeks behind in news processing due to the amount of
disk space required by all the verbiage and the fact that we pass it on to
several sites.

If *you* don't like the realities of the problems this childish behaviour on
USENET creates, then *you* keep off the net!

I do however agree that LONG signatures are antisocial, unnecessary, and the
funny/clever ones are only funny/clever the FIRST time you read them!

Ray Dunn.  ..{philabs, mnetor, musocs}!micomvax!ray

silverio@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (C J Silverio) (03/22/88)

In article <136@ccd700.UUCP> jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) writes:

Aha!  See what I find festering in the news... more of Sitek's
power-mad ranting.  Are you one of those who thinks alt groups
aren't good enough for the blue-suited world?  I'm sending followups
there, if you care to follow, because you belong in alt.flame.

>This is a reply to C J Silverio.  In the interest of brevity, I have
>excluded both my fairly rational presentation of my point of view, and
>C J's juvenile, illogical, *insulting* rantings.

What's a matter, poor little boy, your *feelings* get hurt?
See how open minded I am, that I admit that administrator-types
might have feelings.

>C J, Nowhere in your posting did you refute even one small point that I
>made.  Just what, exactly, was *your* point?  Do you have a problem with
>the way I administer my system?  Too bad.  *I* am a system administrator.
>Are you?  I doubt it because if you were, you would realize that there is
>more to the job than simply making sure that self centered *users* like
>yourself can read the bizarroids. Grow up, kid.  If you do, you will
>discover that "anarchy, creative thought and ... VOLUME", as you interpret
>them, are nothing more than collegiate buzz-words, and there is a big
>bad, corporate world out there that doesn't have time for your shit.

You can administer your system ANY way you please, if it makes you
feel good about yourself and enough of a man to kick the dog when
you get home.

I had a pleasant, instructive, open-minded chat with a sys admin
(yes, Sitek, over the age of 40, if that's it takes to establish
legitimacy with you) who told me his views:  he loves the idea of
the net, of the free flow of information, and the open forum for
discussion.  He doesn't PRESUME to dictate what does or does not
belong there.  The USERS do that, not the administrators... which
is why votes are held for the establishment of new groups.

The USERS support talk.bizarre and other talk/alt groups, which is
why they exist. Got it, Sitek?

My sys admin friend went on to discuss a possible reason why he might
not be able to support talk groups:  money.  I quote:

"In some companies it can come down to either laying someone off or
stopping the expense.  I would rather do most anything than lay
someone off."

This is a LEGITIMATE reason for the administrator of a specific site
to make that choice.  Note that he did NOT rant and rave that the
content of a group was inappropriate or otherwise.  That's not
his position to judge. He worries about what his job is.

MY POINT (you listening, Sitek?):  you have no right to judge what
belongs on the net or not.  If the USERS show sufficient interest,
then your job is to administer their needs.  People like you, if left
alone long enough, would eliminate from the net all articles but
those that expedite the smooth running of the net.  People like you
are dangerous to the spirit of the net.

>I went to college too,
>then I grew up.

Didn't learn anything there, though, did you?  (And, BTW, what makes
you assume I'm still in college?  Or unaware of the big bad greedy
corporate world?  Though I must admit I'm under 30.  Does this make
me a non-person, Sitek?)

>Jim Sitek

| C J Silverio           |           KENT FOR PRESIDENT
| ucbvax!brahms!silverio | I can't think of anything.  My creativity is all
| ucbvax!bosco!silverio  | shot.  I've got writer's block too.  I wanna die.

jim@ccd700.UUCP (J. Sitek) (03/24/88)

C J, mind if I just call you C?  C, once again you supply ample evidence
that your self-centered attitudes are paralleled only by your total
ignorance concerning *system* administration (as a superset of *Usenet*
administration).

Now for a little joke.  What's the difference between C J's postings,
and a bad disk block?

You can spare the bad block.

Later kid,

Jim

PS. Just remember, C, you never know who you may end up working for.