[news.admin] Is there any way to save outgoing postings?

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (03/16/88)

Hi folks,

     Is there a built-in way in vnews to record outgoing
postings?  Sure, I can save them to a file at post or read time
but it would be nice if there were a way to do it automatically
ala mailx's "record" facility.

     While I'm at it, which mailer should I get to properly
handle standard!domain.based:mail%addresses@my-machine?  I use
standard rmail on my 3B2: it does a !-up job with uucp addresses
but doesn't know where it's @ on the other ones. I like my
front-end (mailx): just the delivery agent is wanted.  I hear
there is Elm, smail, and sendmail but this is new stuff to me.
Recommendations and availability are requested.

     Please respond via email.  Thanks.

     Steve

--
Steve Friedl, KA8CMY     ARPA/UUNET/CSNet: friedl@vsi.com       *Hi Mom*
{kentvax, uunet, attmail, {ucbvax, ihnp4, sun}!amdcad!uport}}!vsi!friedl

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (03/20/88)

In article <398@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP I write:
>      Is there a built-in way in vnews to record outgoing
> postings?  Sure, I can save them to a file at post or read time
> but it would be nice if there were a way to do it automatically
> ala mailx's "record" facility.

Hi folks (again),

     Thanks to everybody who responded to my request for information.
The winner is Derek Terveer (det@hawkmoon.mn.org) who points out that
the environment variable $NEWSARCHIVE directs postnews to save my
postings in the specified file:

	$ grep NEWSARCHIVE .profile
	NEWSARCHIVE=$HOME/my.postings ; export NEWSARCHIVE

The other suggestions related to changing the netnews sys file so
*all* outgoing postings (from everybody) could be saved; these
were not quite what I was looking for while $NEWSARCHIVE is *exactly*
what I wanted.

     Thanks again everybody,
     Steve

--
Steve Friedl  friedl@vsi.com
{uunet, attmail, ihnp4!amdcad!uport}!vsi!friedl

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (03/27/88)

In article <417@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <398@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP I write:
>>      Is there a built-in way in vnews to record outgoing postings?

>the environment variable $NEWSARCHIVE directs postnews to save my
>postings in the specified file:

Does anybody know of an equivalent feature in rn?

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	decvax!formtek!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{floyd,pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)

esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (03/29/88)

In article <222@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>In article <417@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>
>>the environment variable $NEWSARCHIVE directs postnews to save my
>>postings in the specified file:
>
>Does anybody know of an equivalent feature in rn?

Nope, it does not exist in rn. (or, more specifically, Pnews)
But.. Pnews (the program which does all the posting for rn and rrn)
is just a little shell script. You can easily modify it to do anything
you want. Have fun.. I have.

--
In Real Life:           Internet: esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Eric S. Johnson II      UUCP: ...{codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!esj

jwp@chem.ucsd.edu (John Pierce) (03/29/88)

>>>$NEWSARCHIVE directs postnews to save my postings in the specified file...
>>Does anybody know of an equivalent feature in rn?
>Nope, it does not exist in rn. (or, more specifically, Pnews)

Setting AUTHORCOPY=file (either in the environment or the file specified by
the environment variable RNINIT) causes Pnews to save the outgoing article
in 'file'.  This was added in the 4.3.1.3 version of Pnews, dated 85/08/01.

--
	John Pierce			Chemistry Dept, B-032, UC San Diego
	Internet:  jwp@chem.ucsd.edu	UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA  92093

cdaf@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles Daffinger) (03/29/88)

-
->the environment variable $NEWSARCHIVE directs postnews to save my
->postings in the specified file:
-
-Does anybody know of an equivalent feature in rn?
-

yea, under 4.2 bsd (Ultrix) set $AUTHORCOPY.

-charles

--
Charles Daffinger  >Take me to the river, Drop me in the water<  (812) 339-7354
cdaf@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             {pur-ee,rutgers,pyramid,ihnp4}!iuvax!cdaf

wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) (03/31/88)

In article <13756@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) writes:
>Nope, it does not exist in rn. (or, more specifically, Pnews)
>But.. Pnews (the program which does all the posting for rn and rrn)
>is just a little shell script. You can easily modify it to do anything
>you want. Have fun.. I have.

You should not have to modify Pnews at all.  Just add the environment
variable AUTHORCOPY to your profile or to your rn options file and
all postings will be saved to the specified file.  If you want
a copy kept of any mail sent as replies while in rn, set the
environment variable MAILRECORD.

				Bill McGarry
				Bunker Ramo, Shelton, CT

     PATH:  {philabs, decvax, fortune, yale}!bunker!wtm