[news.admin] Registered sitenames

jeff@hammer.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (04/03/88)

In article <4750002@hpscdc.HP.COM> garyg@hpscdc.HP.COM (Gary Gitzen) writes:

>>It also means that if there is another machine on the net with your
>>site name on it, you'll never see postings from it, so you may never find
>>out they exist. Unfortunately, the code is deeply ingrained in the net, so
>>it's rather hard to change.
>
>Sounds like a good reason to register one's sitename. If newsfeeds were
>routed only to registered sites, the problem wouldn't occur.

This has one very obvious flaw.  There are hundreds of machines that exist
within domans.  Many of those machines are not 'in the maps'.  Does this mean
that we have to add all of the hosts that are within a domain to the already
huge maps?  I can't see the advantage of doing this.

| Jeff Beadles    IDG Customer Support Center Tektronix, Inc.                 |
| jeff@tekcsc.MKT.TEK.COM -or-                POB 1000                        |
| ...!tektronix!tekcsc.MKT.TEK.COM!jeff       Wilsonville, OR. 97070 MS 63-171|

woods@hao.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (04/04/88)

  For a domain with many sites, only the one site that imports news to
the domain, and the domain itself, need to be registered. That way any
mail to any site within the domain is simply mailed to the one registered
site for that domain (which is responsible for delivering it within the
domain). For example, there are a couple of dozen sites in our "ucar.edu"
domain, but only "ncar" is registered in the maps.

--Greg

pleasant@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) (04/04/88)

In a previous message someone describes the well known problems and symptoms
of a new site apearing in USENET with a name that duplicates another already
in use by some other site.  In response, Gary Gitzen (garyg@hpscdc.HP.COM)
points out that if a site registered its name and if registered sites would
only pass news onto other reigstered sites, the problem would go away.  Jeff
Beadles then goes on to say that:

> This [Gary's suggestion] has one very obvious flaw.  There are hundreds of
> machines that exist within domains.  Many of those machines are not 'in
> the maps'.  Does this mean that we have to add all of the hosts that are
> within a domain to the already huge maps?  I can't see the advantage of
> doing this.

The answer to the question is a resounding *no*.  What is flawed however is
the implementation of the use of a domain.  One thing must be done such
that everything works out smoothly for you, your neighbors and the map
database.  One way or another, all sites within a domain must use fully
qualified names in all news and mail headers.  This includes the Path:
header in news articles as well.  The only exception might be the n sites
acting as UUCP/domain gateways into your domain.  The whole point behind
acquiring a domain is to allow you to choose whatever names you like for
your hosts.  By appending the `.domain' to your names, the names you choose
become unique because your domain is unique to you.  BUT, your names are
only unique with the domain appended to them!!

There are lots of `sites' out there that have acquired a domain.  None of
the documentation surrounding domains gives any indication as to the
magnitude of work that goes into using a domain effectively.  Herein lies
the rub!!!  If you're looking to acquire a domain and solve your naming
problems once and for all, be prepared to a) modify *all* of your mail
systems, NOT JUST YOUR GATEWAY MAIL SYSTEM; b) modify *all* of your news
systems, NOT JUST YOUR GATEWAY NEWS SYSTEM.  You really want fully qualified
names to appear in *all* mail and news headers and to be so generated by
*all* of your systems.  Until all names appear as fully qualified
host.domain names, some new site can come along and bite you by using one of
your internal names.  Jsust in case anyone missed it, the operative word
throughout what I've just stated is `all.' Conceptually its simple enough.
However, its a real pain in the ass to convert all of your systems.  The
political realities may make it nearly impossible to do.  But, from
experience, try your hardest to include as much as you can under that word
`all.'

Someone `installing' a domain does has some choices in all of this.  The
choices will require about the same amount (e.g. lots) of work for the
initial installation.  There are two practical choices really.  Most of the
rest are some combination of these two.  The first is more or less spelled
out above.  Namely, modify all of your systems such that the names generated
are fully qualified everywhere.  The 2nd choice is to is to generate
addresses as if all of your users on all of your systems have mailboxes on
your gateway system.  Then, the only host name that need appear in mail/news
headers outside of your domain is the name of your gateway system.  It is
very likely however, that your internal systems will have to flag messages
in such a way that your gateway system can recognize them as being
internally generated thereby distinguishing them from the rest of the pack.
Obviously, you can create a list of your internal systems on your gateway
machine.  However, if you're a large `site' (as in a univeristy), where you
might not even know when new internals systems have come on line, you'll
need some other method of identifying your internal sites to your gateway
system.  This will most likely involve your internal sites identifying
themselves to the gateway system instead of your gateway system attempting
to identify them by dead reckoning.  As you can see, with either choice
there is much work to be done.  Good luck!!
--

                                  Mel Pleasant
 {backbone}!rutgers!pleasant   pleasant@rutgers.edu     mpleasant@zodiac.bitnet

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) (04/04/88)

In article <90@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@hao.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
:  For a domain with many sites, only the one site that imports news to
:the domain, and the domain itself, need to be registered.
	That helps a lot, but it doesn't do the whole job.  For
instance, what if you have local machine named "b.ucar.edu", which you
address locally as "b", and I register a machine named "b".
If you get a mail message for "joe@b" or "b!joe", who do you send it to?
Domains help, but they only solve the problem if everyone has one, and
if all transactions always use them.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

jerry@oliveb.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (04/05/88)

In article <Apr.3.17.36.56.1988.9857@porthos.rutgers.edu> pleasant@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) writes:
>           One way or another, all sites within a domain must use fully
>qualified names in all news and mail headers.  This includes the Path:
>header in news articles as well.

The check against sending an article to a site already in the path is
simple to bypass for anyone who has a real need to do so.  The software
simply compares the first field of the NEWSDIR/sys entry to each site
listed in the path line.  So an entry like:

	oliveb:comp,sci,...world:F

would not send an article that has "oliveb" in the path but an entry
like:
	oliveb+:comp,sci,...world:F:/usr/spool/batch/oliveb

would send them because "oliveb+" would not match "oliveb".  So anyone
concerned about duplicate site names and willing to pay the costs of any
resulting duplications can modify their sys file without changing
the software.

I have seen a case where a duplicate name was causing articles to not
reach a site.  There are two sites named "sun" on the net.  I post
"ihave" messages to one of the systems and while checking the articles
in its sendme messages I found that every article from
"sun.soe.clarkson.edu" was requested.  Without the ihave messages there
was no way for them to ever reach "sun.uucp".

The suggestion that sites use a fully qualified domain name in the path
header line brings up several ramifications.  If I was to start putting
"oliveb.olivetti.com" in the path line then my neighbors would start
sending those articles back to me.  This is because their NEWSDIR/sys
entries have "oliveb:" in them, not "oliveb.olivetti.com".  Obviously
any such change would have to be coardinated with them.  With the
current software it is possible to ease the transition by having an
entry like:
	oliveb/oliveb.olivetti.com:comp,sci,...

which would catch both forms of the name.  This would of course defeat
the purpose of the domain as it would still not send anything with
"!oliveb!" in the path so if there was another "oliveb" I still would
not see their postings.

Assuming I changed my path entries to be "oliveb.olivetti.com" and my
news neighbors changed their sys files to match only on that string then
the unique path test should work correctly.  But that will leave
somewhat of a mess.  An entry like:

	oliveb.olivetti.com:comp,sci,...:F

is going to put the batch output in a rather strange place.  Certainly
one not very useful to sendbatch.  Of course you can manually specify
the pathname to batch into.  (Unless you want to run ihave/sendme.)

Using full domains in the path is also going to make it several times
longer.

I am not against the idea but I think that practical implementation is
going to require some changes in the news software to better support
this.  Perhaps the simplest is to provide a separate control of what is
tested against the path line and what is used to generate the 4th field
of the sys entry.  By example if:

	oliveb/oliveb.olivetti.com:comp,sci,...:F

Were redefined to use the first name "oliveb" for path and command
generation and only test the portion after the "/" against the path then
the changes would be minimal.  Another alternative is to have the
software truncate on the "dot" when generating the path/command.

Certainly there is more to this than just having inews put your full
domain in the path.
				Jerry Aguirre

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (04/05/88)

In article <2098@ho95e.ATT.COM> wcs@ho95e.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>,2G218,x0705,) writes:
>For instance, what if you have local machine named "b.ucar.edu", which you
>address locally as "b", and I register a machine named "b".
>If you get a mail message for "joe@b" or "b!joe", who do you send it to?

   You can't have a domain named "b", nor anything else that I could name
a machine here. All domains (except phony ones like "uucp") have at least
one period in them. This makes them clearly distinguishable from a local
machine name. Thus in your example, without question I send it to our
local machine "b". You COULD conceivably have a domain named "b.edu"
or "b.com", but even then "b.com!joe" would be clearly distinguishable
as non-local while "b!joe" is local. I can only get in trouble if one
of my local machine names matches one of the sites that I have a direct
uucp link to. For example I can't name a ucar.edu machine "b.ucar.edu"
if I also have a uucp link to a site whose uucp name is "b", or else
"b!joe" WOULD be ambiguous. Fortunately even a backbone site like us
has only a dozen or so uucp links, so that just means a dozen names
we can't use. Note that only DIRECTLY-CONNECTED uucp links have this problem,
not every name in the map. Not too hard for any halfway responsible site
to avoid.

--Greg

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (04/05/88)

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>,2G218,x0705,) wrote:
->	That helps a lot, but it doesn't do the whole job.  For
->instance, what if you have local machine named "b.ucar.edu", which you
->address locally as "b", and I register a machine named "b".
->If you get a mail message for "joe@b" or "b!joe", who do you send it to?
->Domains help, but they only solve the problem if everyone has one, and
->if all transactions always use them.

I thought this was pretty easy; the message gets delivered to
joe@b.ucar.edu.  Can't hold everyone else  responsible if you don't do
the right things and get a true domain name ...

# Henry Mensch / <henry@garp.mit.edu> / E40-379 MIT, Cambridge, MA
#      {ames,cca,rochester,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry