[news.admin] Name Derivation of sulaco.UUCP

tlhingan@unsvax.UUCP (Eugene Tramaglino) (04/05/88)

I apologize for jumping in with a chang of subject in the middle of a
major discussion, but---

I am interested in the derivation of the machine (??) name sulaco.UUCP, and
pronunciation.  Could anyone with appropriate information e-mail a reply?
I would appreciate a forward of this message also, if appropriate.

Many thanks,
Gene

#==============================================#=========================#
# Eugene Tramaglino -- tlhingan@unsvax.uns.edu # USS Mahagonny, NCC-1929 #
#   1450 E Harmon 207A, Las Vegas, NV 89119    #=========================#
#   Data:  "All paths are equally dangerous."  #  Member, Institute of   #
#   Riker: "Let's go!"                         #   General Semantics.    #
#==============================================#=========================#

ljj@hjuxa.UUCP (JUDICE) (04/11/88)

In article <234@unsvax.UUCP>, tlhingan@unsvax.UUCP (Eugene Tramaglino) writes:
> I apologize for jumping in with a chang of subject in the middle of a
> major discussion, but---
>
> I am interested in the derivation of the machine (??) name sulaco.UUCP, and
> pronunciation.  Could anyone with appropriate information e-mail a reply?
> I would appreciate a forward of this message also, if appropriate.
>
> Many thanks,
> Gene

SULACO was the transport ship used in the film "ALIENS". It's
also the name of my PRO/380 on our internal DECnet. We spent a lot
of time playing the sequence of the film that BRIEFLY shows the ship
name. Finally, someone in our facility picked up a copy of the
ALIENS novelization.

It's quite possible that SULACO was pulled from the pages of something
else by the writers of "ALIENS", though...

/ljj