[news.admin] Scrooge, Barry Shein, Censorship, Liberals, and Discourtesy

lazarus@athena.mit.edu (Michael Friedman) (04/16/88)

Barry Seems to get hot under the collar.

In <21496@bu-cs.BU.EDU> Barry wrote

}   >If someone at ATT decides to revoke Tim Sevener's net-access I will
}   >complain, just as I complained when Scrooge was muzzled. Why were you
}   >quiet then?

}   That's not fair, there are several people out there who I have
}   vehemently disagreed with but have supported publicly (and privately,
}   where I thought it might help, I know quite a few sysadmins out there)
}   when an issue like this came up. I think they know who they are,
}   perhaps they will speak up.

}   As to the Scrooge thing, I believe I missed most of that except for
}   some trailers here and there making past reference to it recently,
}   perhaps it was during the week or so we were having a lot of trouble
}   with our net feeds in early-mid March?

}   No one out there should ever hesitate to send me private mail or call
}   me asking for my help to keep a news account which is being removed
}   for politically motivated reasons (ask first, then we can decide if
}   there's something more going on.) You'd be surprised how many people I
}   know out there and could perhaps re-open some reasoned discussion on
}   the matter. It's even possible to generate a list of machines where
}   you can have an account, or at least ask for one.

}	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Notice ... Barry says he missed the Scrooge episode. He says, however,
that he know a lot of people out there and can, perhaps re-open
discussion on the matter. He implies that he knows how to generate a
list of machines where Scrooge may ask for an account.

So, in the interest of justice and freedom, I searched back through
the news.admin newsgroup, and found an article which quoted the
administrator who booted Scrooge.

In <4636@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> I wrote

} >>  >In article <3365@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU >, lazarus@athena.mit.edu (Michael Friedman) writes:

} >>  > > In article <68@rolls.UUCP > news@rolls.UUCP (The Nutter) writes:

} >>  > >  >As a netnews administrator here and on terminus, I never suspected
} >>  > >  >that I would ever compile as a fascist.  Lately, though, postings by
} >>  > >  >a user "scrooge" from this site have forced me to do so.

} >>  > > It is, of course, your site, and you have the right to do what you
} >>  > > want with it. Scrooge is also something of an asshole.

} >>  > > Despite this I do not think it is appropriate to stop him from
} >>  > > posting...

} OK Barry, do your thing. Let's see your commitment to free speech in action!!

Please note that the administrator is posting from a machine with
suffix UUCP. Am I correct in assuming that that is something to do
with University of California?

Barry responded to an earlier posting of mine in <21688@bu-cs.BU.EDU>

}>I don't remember Scrooge's site, and I don't think I have it anywhere.
}>Perhaps someone else can let Barry Shein in on this and we can see if
}>he is as good as his word.

}Hey, no problem, I'll go one better, if Scrooge wants an account on a
}machine here he should send me mail or call me (617-353-2780). I don't
}know if distance makes that prohibitive, but what more could I do?

I. Distance does seem to make that prohibitive.

II. What more could you do? You could do what you first offered to do
- you could "re-open some reasoned discussion on the matter." You
could help Scrooge find a LOCAL account, which you implied you would
be willing to do.

I said as much in <4653@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>

Barry got rather upset. He responded, in <21723@bu-cs.BU.EDU>

}>You previously claimed that you had enough connections out there that
}>you could often prevent people from being booted, get them reinstated,
}>or get them an account at another nearby machine.

}>I have posted (in another message) the address of the sys-admin who
}>booted Scrooge. May I suggest that you get cracking?

}Ya wanna know something Mike, you're an asshole.

}Does anyone doubt only an asshole could write something as arrogant as
}the above in response to my offer to help anyone who is being kicked
}off the net?

You know, I really don't understand why Barry's so mad.

Perhaps he doesn't like being put on the spot?

All I can say is that Barry's much-vaunted dedication to freedom of
speech seems to be ringing a little hollow right now.

Comments, folks?

These are the official opinions			Mike Friedman
of my organization. So, TOUGH!!