[news.admin] misc.jobs.offered moderated???

wescott@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (05/10/88)

Is misc.jobs.offered really moderated?  It's not listed in the
recent list of moderated groups.

If it's not moderated, why are mcc.com, labrea.stanford.edu, hplabs,
wrath.cs.cornell.edu et. al. bombarding us with mail complaining that
it is moderated?
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

weening@labrea.STANFORD.EDU (Joe Weening) (05/10/88)

In article <1073@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> wescott@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) writes:
>Is misc.jobs.offered really moderated?  It's not listed in the
>recent list of moderated groups.
>
>If it's not moderated, why are mcc.com, labrea.stanford.edu, hplabs,
>wrath.cs.cornell.edu et. al. bombarding us with mail complaining that
>it is moderated?
>--
>	-Mike Wescott
>	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

A combination of several factors is causing this.  The article in
question is <3321@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM>.  Here at
labrea.stanford.edu, misc.jobs.offered was in fact marked "m" in the
active file but fixing that hasn't stopped the deluge.

The problem is that the article is cross-posted to "ncr.announce".  We
are still running 2.10 news, which considers all groups ending in
".announce" to be moderated.  One of our feeds is sending us the
article every 15 minutes, and each time we get it we return it to the
originator.

At the moment it is hard for me to do anything here; but if you cancel
the article I think it will eventually stop bouncing back.