[news.admin] Unruly Americans,

dougie@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Dougie Nisbet) (05/17/88)

In article <884@actnyc.UUCP> jsb@actnyc.UUCP (The Invisible Man) writes:
>In article <1317@its63b.ed.ac.uk> dougie@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Dougie Nisbet) writes:
>)In article <859@actnyc.UUCP> jsb@actnyc.UUCP (The Invisible Man) writes:
>)>
>)>(This is too easy...) Where do you get off flaming a news group that you don't
>)>even receive?  Is it the title that you find offensive?  Is it those unruly
>)>Americans you don't like?
>)>
Hmmmmm, well now that you mention it ...

>)
>)Jamie's reaction is perhaps excessive, but understandable. The incredibly
>
>Perhaps my reacion was excesive too.  Is it understandable?

Well, probably yes; but since I hate rhetoric, No.

>)overwhelming impression I receive of American's not realising that their
>)posting permiate all over the world is probably felt by many others.
>)(No, I don't want to buy your concert tickets, or rent your apartment,
>) its just a teeny bit out of the way ...)
>
>Yes I'm aware of this stereotype of Americans.  They think everyone speaks
>English too.

You don't mean .... Gosh, well I never!

>Groups don't have such aims.  Individuals do. [...
Hey! I like that! Can I send it into the Reader's Digest?

> ...  I'm an American and I've also
>been known to post to talk.bizarre but I don't fit these sterotypes.
>Fortunately, I'm not the type of person who would draw the conclusion from
>your and Jamie's postings that all Britishers see the world in stereotypes
>but my tentative conclusion is that the 2 of you do.

Well, I'm glad its tentative, especially since Jamie posted from
Switzerland. (Welcome to Britain Jamie!).

>)>
>)>--
>)>		"When you awake, you will remember everything"
>)>				jim (uunet!actnyc!jsb)
>)
>)Yes, very good, very moving, very deep. Right now I need aphorisms
>)like I need holes in my heads HHGTTG
>
>Perhaps you feel that this is a constructive response?  ...etc.
>Gosh, how can I bear your biting sarcasm.

Touche

>--
>		"Notitiae gratia notitiarum"

Whit's tha' aw aboot then. Is i' Glesgae fur Irn' Bru or summat?

>				jim (uunet!actnyc!jsb)

Dougie (who dusnae ken a wurd ae la'in)