From: bbtest1@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)
Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl
Subject: version
Date: 12 May 88 18:22:46 GMT

Control: version
--
{alberta,utzoo,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

ambar@athena.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) (05/17/88)

In article <10222@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>A 'version' control message came out of oddjob a few days ago. Along
>the line somebody has been adding spaces and newlines to the Path:
>header.

>From: bbtest1@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)

Well, here it is as it arrived on bloom-beacon (except for the
\<return>s on the Path: line; that was all one line):

From: bbtest1@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)

...and so forth.  I suspect we went thundering over some static buffer.

                              AMBAR
ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu                    {backbones}!mit-eddie!ambar

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/17/88)

In article <10222@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>A 'version' control message came out of oddjob a few days ago. Along
>the line somebody has been adding spaces and newlines to the Path:
>header.
>Here is a copy of the original control message as it arrived on ncc. My
>guess is that uwmcsd1 is a BITNET site (8 char field padded with spaces).
>Dunno about the newline after bloom-beacon ...

>From: bbtest1@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)
>Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl
>Subject: version
>Date: 12 May 88 18:22:46 GMT

>Control: version

Sigh, I have to claim responsibility for the newline after bloom-beacon.
We have a link with psuvm.bitnet over bitnet which occasionally does things
like this.  I've never tracked down the exact problem but what happens
is that long Path: lines get split in two either here or at psuvm.  I've
always assumed that it's because the stuff which comes here from them
is 132 column wide PRINT files and something in their software is
wrapping the lines around.

Sorry for the trouble, but such messing with the Path: line is the
least of my worries about that news link.  I'm more worried about
tab -> space translations and the like.  Anyway, you're not supposed
to be using the Path: line for replies, so no excuses :-).

There's more problems with that article as quoted than just the Path:
line, the Control: line and the rest have been moved down to the body
as well.  I have no idea where that could have happend though.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

james@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jim Lowe) (05/18/88)

In article <10222@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:

>...My
>guess is that uwmcsd1 is a BITNET site (8 char field padded with spaces).
>Dunno about the newline after bloom-beacon ...

Nope... uwmcsd1 is a Unix 4.2 machine soon to be 4.3.  Nice guess though.

>From: bbtest1@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)
>Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl
>Subject: version
>Date: 12 May 88 18:22:46 GMT
>

>Control: version

Looks like someone really munged this message up.  Here is a copy of
the message <test-1@oddjob.uchicago.edu> as it arrived on uwmcsd1 (the
"\"'s I added to the Path: line to make it more readable):

	From: bbtest1@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)
	Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl
	Date: 12 May 88 18:22:46 GMT
	Control: version

Everything looks fine from here?  Maybe someelse down the line?  Your
version of the message also dropped the Control, Distribution, Lines,
and Approved headers down into the text of the message.  Not good.

It also looks like the Path: line got severly truncated somewhere down
the line.  Must have hit a static limit somewhere on the Path: line
length.  Old versions of netnews isn't good news?

	- Jim

Internet:	james@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Uucp:	ihnp4!uwmcsd1!james
Phone:		+1 (414) 229-6431