[news.admin] newgroup comp.protocols.iso.x400

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (05/19/88)

In article <669@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.stc.co.uk (News super user at STL) writes:
>Newgroup's recently appeared for two x400 news groups, although there has
>been no discussion (so far as I've seen) on them, and no postings have appeared
>here.   Were these newgroup's a mistake, and should I send out rmgroups?

Those groups are not a mistake.  They are proper "inet" groups, and they
carry the corresponding ARPA mailing lists.

>The new groups have 'inet' distribution (as does this posting).   What is the
>mechanism for adding new inet groups?   Hopefully it is simpler than the
>current system for Usenet groups, but there should be some sort of discussion,
>and hopefully an agreement that those backbone sites that accept inet
>groups (including mcvax) will distribute them.   If the last is not the case,
>the new group will not propagate in Europe.

"inet" groups are administered by Erik Fair (ucbvax!usenet or
ucbarpa!usenet).  He creates the groups to correspond to *exisiting*
Arpa mailing lists to provide a gateway and distribution mechanism.
The intent is that sites exchanging the groups will have their local
users unsubscribe from the mailing lists in favor of the inet groups,
thus (potentially) reducing the volume of mail on the Internet.

There does not seem to be much need for discussion or voting on these,
as I see it; if others disagree, let's discuss it.   So far, to my
knowledge, backbone sites carrying inet (and ddn) groups have been
willing to carry all the groups, especially since it helps unclog
our e-mail supply!
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,