[news.admin] "cup.portal.com" removal

pst@comdesign.uucp (Paul Traina) (05/26/88)

In article <776@fig.bbn.com>, rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
] If you are as annoyed as by these "HELP ME" messages being
] spewed all over the net as I am, you might appreciate the
] #T line shown below...
] 	#C	John Little
] 	#T	+1 408 973 9111

It seems that "CUP.PORTAL.COM" seems to generate more than its fair
share of net.lossage (watch me duck quickly now (grin)).

I'm quite fond of the idea of public access UNIX systems, but perhaps
Portal's management needs to take some responsibility here.  Freedom
of Speech is a great principle, but if it is constantly abused, it
becomes quite annoying.

Perhaps the neighbors of portal -- sun, hoptoad, and atari -- will consider
cutting service temporarily.  The owners of Portal make a profit from users
who dial into their computer.  They seem to enjoy the fireworks that emit
from their machine -- their users call in more and more to respond to
the flames that emit from the net.  If Portal lost net access for a while,
some of their customers might stop calling in (or at least avoid spending
hours each day reading news).  This would hit Portal management in the
pocket-book.

Perhaps if a concerned effort to black-ball portal for 2-4 weeks if this
random lossage continues is worth considering?
--
Paul Traina, Systems Software Engineer	    | Suddenly my feet are feet of mud,
ComDesign / Network Equipment Technologies  |   It all goes slow-mo.

wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (05/27/88)

In article <317@comdesign.UUCP>, pst@comdesign.uucp (Paul Traina) writes:

> Perhaps the neighbors of portal -- sun, hoptoad, and atari -- will consider
> cutting service temporarily.  The owners of Portal make a profit from users
> who dial into their computer.  They seem to enjoy the fireworks that emit
> from their machine -- their users call in more and more to respond to
> the flames that emit from the net.  If Portal lost net access for a while,
> some of their customers might stop calling in (or at least avoid spending
> hours each day reading news).  This would hit Portal management in the
> pocket-book.

I think that quite enough has been accomplished in this matter.  The individual
in question has lost his access <according to a recent posting>, and the post-
master of portal has been severely taken to task via both email and the open
net.  I even shipped out a quick message. 8)

I do not think that cutting the news links is a proper action.  If this is
done once, it sets a dangerous precedent.  What happens if I post some un-
believeably obnoxious/commercial/obscene drivel?  Does my site have its links
chopped?  Is this fair to the other users of my site?  I don't think so.  The
guy has lost his access, and the management of portal has been given some
quick lessons in responsibility 8).  Let it go.

> Perhaps if a concerned effort to black-ball portal for 2-4 weeks if this
> random lossage continues is worth considering?

I don't agree with a black-ball; how about "read only" access as a punishment?
That way, those people who read groups such as misc.jobs.offered can still
respond via telephone or USMail.

I don't think that either of these options is necessary; however, if you
*must* discipline a site for offensive postings, I suggest read-only as
the way to go.

> --
> Paul Traina, Systems Software Engineer	 | Suddenly my feet are feet of mud,
> ComDesign / Network Equipment Technologies |   It all goes slow-mo.
> pst!comdesign@pyramid.com		             | I don't know why I'm crying,
> ucbvax!pyramid!comdesign!pst		         |   Am I suspended in gaffa? --Kate

Wes Morgan

--
     wes@engr.uky.edu OR wes%ukecc.uucp@ukma OR ...cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!wes
	"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!" - Batman

jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) (05/31/88)

In article <2368@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:

>I do not think that cutting the news links is a proper action.  If this is
>done once, it sets a dangerous precedent.  What happens if I post some un-

I agree, trashing a site should only be done if the management continuously
allows such crap to occur or the management of the site is itself to blame.

Nuking a site for less than that would be downright un-American!

--
John "C". Sucilla
  {ihnp4,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs