[news.admin] Binaries on the net.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (05/13/88)

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) wrote:
> People who argue for source-only distributions don't believe in letting
> an author do as he likes with HIS work.

This person who argues for source-only distributions has no trouble with
letting an author do as he likes with his work -- as long as he doesn't
spend other peoples' money doing it.  My argument against binaries runs
along one line:

	Binaries are very hard to maintain and very hard to port.

What good is the last 30 years of progress in software engineering if
we never get the sources?  Maintenance is always the largest cost of
any piece of software.  Binaries are just throwaways; change CPU or OS
and toss 'em.  Don't tell me an IBM PC binary good today will be good
forever...I know better.  How many binary programs from PC-DOS 1.0
(before the hierarchical file system) still run unchanged?  There is 8088
code that doesn't run on the 386 -- Minix is one (the 386 broke the LOCK
prefix on some instructions).

I don't think the net should be a medium for "free" (==> other people
pay for it, not you) distribution of binary software.  There are plenty
of IBM PC user groups, BBS's, Fidos, and companies that charge
$3/floppy for PD software, doing that.  It should be a medium for the
continuing evolution of software (and programmers).  Binaries don't
evolve; when they stop working, they go extinct.  Many of the people on
the net are on the leading edge of software development.  Their
binaries won't teach us anything, but their sources will.

--
John Gilmore  {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu        gnu@toad.com
"Use the Source, Luke...."

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (05/16/88)

In article <4577@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) wrote:

>                         Binaries are just throwaways; change CPU or OS
> and toss 'em.  Don't tell me an IBM PC binary good today will be good
> forever...I know better.
> I don't think the net should be a medium for "free" (==> other people
> pay for it, not you) distribution of binary software.  There are plenty
> of IBM PC user groups, BBS's, Fidos, and companies that charge
> $3/floppy for PD software, doing that.  It should be a medium for the
> continuing evolution of software (and programmers).

Although I have nothing against free software, net distribution of
binaries is not free.  As a usenet node we pay for that distribution
every day.  As far as I know there are no MS-DOS or Apple users down
stream from us but I hesitate to chuck all the binary groups as I expect
there would be someone who cared somewhere.  In the mean time, we use
an Atari ST to generate graphics for the classes we teach and to do
flyers and ads.  The public domain software we have for the Atari
came from the old $3/disk vendors.  I would rather send $3 to someone
for the disk than deal with watching for the binary I want, extracting
it, transfering it, unpacking it and attempting to find out what system
screwed up on the transfer so the binary is useless.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (05/17/88)

In article <1220@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>...net distribution of
>binaries is not free.  As a usenet node we pay for that distribution
>every day.
>...I hesitate to chuck all the binary groups as I expect
>there would be someone who cared somewhere.
>I would rather send $3 to someone
>for the disk than deal with watching for the binary I want, extracting
>it...

Phil Hughes prefers no binaries on the net.  As I understand it, his
site chooses to accept and transmit binaries, because he believes
others value them, yet he prefers that no other site accept and
transmit binaries, because his site doesn't value them.

I'm getting tied up in knots analyzing this reasoning.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/18/88)

>Phil Hughes prefers no binaries on the net.  As I understand it, his
>site chooses to accept and transmit binaries, because he believes
>others value them, yet he prefers that no other site accept and
>transmit binaries, because his site doesn't value them.

>I'm getting tied up in knots analyzing this reasoning.

Hmm. It seems perfectly clear to me:

o Phil does't believe binaries believe on the net.

o The net still has legal binary groups

o Phil has not yet chosen to deviate his site from the "official" list of
  legal groups.

o Phil believes that the net, as a whole, should make a decision to remove
  binaries from the net, rather than having sites drop the distribution in
  an ad hoc manner.

How much clearer can it get?

For the record, I'm with Phil. Binaries have outlived their usefulness.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

	Robert A. Heinlein: 1907-1988. He will never truly die as long as we
                           read his words and speak his name. Rest in Peace.

manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) (05/18/88)

In article <4577@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>What good is the last 30 years of progress in software engineering if
>we never get the sources?

It's always seemed a bit curious to me that folks who balk the loudest at
PD or Shareware distribution of binaries just nod in resignation when
they're required to pay upwards of $50,000 to peek at the source code for a
program or operating system they paid >money< for.  As a Shareware author
(who doesn't release code to my most substantial offering) I find something
in this attitude to resent.  If a developer creates a program that others
find useful enough to download, who's being harmed?  If you paid $350 for
dBASE-2 in 1982 and you've got a '386 today, you've still got an 8088
translation of a CP/M program and there's nothing you can do to change
that.

At the moment, Shareware authors represent about the only progress in
certain software areas, notably communications and file archiving tools, so
I think it's counterproductive to restrict access to these programs, and
hamstring the competition it promotes, to the Outside World.

>Binaries don't
>evolve; when they stop working, they go extinct.  Many of the people on

What do you mean by "stop working"?  Do you mean "stop evolving"?  Again,
you'll find Shareware authors far more responsive to bug fixes
and timely enhancements than the commercial developers.

This all depends on what subculture of binary download you're referring to.
If it's just some quick 'n nasty toss-off, I agree: publish the source.  If,
on the other hand, it's a program that the author has spent a great deal of
time writing, chances are that he wants to protect his source... for a
number of good reasons.  Magpie (my Shareware BBS offering) took three
years to write.  I won't release the source because (a) I want to
provide support and I don't need munged source code to make the job
difficult, (b) I don't want to encounter what other source-published BBS
programs have encountered, namely its getting dicked with by some junior
terrorist and re-uploaded as the genuine article, complete with a backdoor
and media incinerator, and (c) I have long-term plans already in the works
for Magpie and don't want to get myself painted into a corner with a lot of
third-party enhancements that may well be incompatible with standard files
that have been hacked to provide Feecher X or "fix" Feecher Y.

I agree with you: source code is a great study and a way to improve your
own coding chops.  But there are a LOT of people out there who don't know
how to program, don't own a compiler and don't care to do any more than USE
the product.  For them, binaries are the only way to go.

--
+-----
+ Steve Manes

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (05/18/88)

>For the record, I'm with Phil. Binaries have outlived their usefulness.

I just had to add my $.02

I certainly prefer sources over binaries.  Given the nature of USENET,
with a diversity of computer types, and where EVERY site must
redistribute EVERY article, it makes more sense to post SOURCE, so that
the program is usable by as wide an audience as possible.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of PC's (all types, not just IBM)
out there.  Often those who write programs for PCs are not willing
to distribute source (silly, perhaps, but that's how it is).  Also,
often SOURCE for such programs is steeped in machine dependencies:
the program wouldn't be much use to anyone who didn't have the right
type of machine, anyway.

It can be argued that USENET is primarily made up of machines that are
NOT PCs, and users of such require SOURCE.  While this may be true to
sume extent, there are also a LOT of users who use both a USENET machine
and a personal PC:  These people find binaries quite useful (I do myself!)

So what is the answer?  There ARE other forums for PC binaries (BBS
systems around the world, pay services like compuserve and the SOURCE,
etc.)  On the other hand, a significant fraction of users of USENET are
benefitted by binaries.  Who makes that kind of decision?  Do we turn
off rec.arts.startrek just because only 1% of USENET readers benefit?
(no flames please :-)  How about talk.jokes?  The binary groups have a
large readership, as large as most of the other popular groups, and
larger than many of the "fringe" groups!
--
     john nelson

UUCP:            {decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
ARPA (sort of):  talcott.harvard.edu!panda!teddy!jpn

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (05/19/88)

In article <53618@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> For the record, I'm with Phil. Binaries have outlived their usefulness.

Neat.  Let's get rid of comp.binaries.ibm.pc and send all our source code to
comp.sources.ibm.pc, OK?  ...what?  That newsgroup doesn't exist?  Well, then,
perhaps we should not be too hasty ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (05/19/88)

In article <3083@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In article <1220@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> >...net distribution of
> >binaries is not free.  As a usenet node we pay for that distribution
> >every day.
> >...I hesitate to chuck all the binary groups as I expect
> >there would be someone who cared somewhere.

> Phil Hughes prefers no binaries on the net.  As I understand it, his
> site chooses to accept and transmit binaries, because he believes
> others value them, yet he prefers that no other site accept and
> transmit binaries, because his site doesn't value them.
>
> I'm getting tied up in knots analyzing this reasoning.

Ok, let me try again.

Fact: it costs a lot of money to send traffic
over the net.  It may not be out of your pocket but someone pays.

Fact: Binary programs don't convey timely information.  You may learn
something from playing a game or solve a problem by running a utility
or whatever but you don't learn something by reading it or whatever.

Fact: The world is full of BBSs and companies that distribute binaries
of public domain programs for cost or there abouts.

Fact: It takes time to snatch a binary off the net, get it unpacked and
written to appropriate media for use.

Now, my point, again, is that the overall it would cost less and take less
time to buy a disk full of binaries for $3.

My comment about "someone would complain ..." reflects my laziness.
I need to ask those we feed if they care but I haven't as yet.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (05/19/88)

Here is another proposal: how about a group where you post info about
available binaries.  Availability info would include a blurb about what it
does and a list of ways to get it: Acme BBS, send $3 to Sleazy Software
Company (no, that isn't what SSC stands for) or whatever.  We could just
try this and see binaries on the net would just die.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (05/20/88)

In article <4782@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:

>I just had to add my $.02

Ditto.

Machines that run MSDOS do not generally come with any compiler as a standard
component.  (Okay, IBM used to include BASIC.  What a lifesaver.)  I was in
a workstation discussion recently, and (I'm no expert, but) at least one
person thought it worth mentioning that one of the systems _did_ package a
'cc' with their UN*X-like OS.  My point is that, as brands proliferate, the
likelihood of having a standard C compiler available goes down.

If you have a machine that didn't come with a compiler for a standard language
(i.e., C), then source code is not much help.  The appropriate binary may
be a lifesaver.

[Personally, I now prefer source.  Thank you, Philippe Kahn, for marketing a
more-or-less functional C compiler at a price I could afford.]

-bob montante

tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/21/88)

You know, the more I listen to this...

I can definitely see Chuq's (and others') point.  Binaries have the
following problems: they are (often) HUGE and they are of only limited
net-wide interest.  Now comp.cog-eng is also of limited interest, but
it is not so HUGE so the net doesn't mind.

If we could eliminate the HUGE aspect of binaries, then, we could solve
some of the problem.  So how about a size limit of 64k or less?  This
would allow the posting of useful stuff in response to user inquiries,
e.g.,

     > How do I enlarge my PC keyboard buffer? I'm desperate...
     OK, here is a uuencode of KBDBIG.COM which will give you 128 bytes...
     =====> cut here <=====

     etc.

which I do feel is a legitimate function for usenet; but discourage
treating usenet like one supergiant BBS where everyone's 300K demos
are available for download.

This point probably needs to be made forcefully: PC users (at home or
work) with access to Usenet nearly always have access to regional
Bulletin Boards (BBS) as well, not to mention commercial services
like CompuServe and GEnie.  For only a few dollars in access time,
you can get anything you want from these places, and you can put your
own software in front of tens of thousands of PC owners.  DO IT!  Don't
impose on the hospitality of the backbone and thousands of other sites
trying to pervert usenet into Zoonet.  (No offense, Rahul - ARCnet is
already a trademark. <grin>)

It may be that after all voices have been heard on this issue, binaries
will seem appropriate for the alt.* hierarchy or even a new bin.*
hierarchy as Jamie Watson suggests.  For selected sites it may make
real sense to integrate substantial PC binaries flow into the uucp
network.  But not for the net at large.

Comments invited, here or in the 'box.

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...uunet!pwcmrd!skipnyc!atpal!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF

roskos@csed-1.IDA.ORG (Eric Roskos) (05/21/88)

>Also, often SOURCE for such programs is steeped in machine dependencies:
>the program wouldn't be much use to anyone who didn't have the right
>type of machine, anyway.

This is an important point.  I personally prefer sources too, but of the
PC sources which are posted (and, in fairness to the posters, it should
be mentioned that a good many of the comp.binaries.ibm.pc postings
include sources in the PKARC files, along with the binaries), I find
*very few* which I can compile; and I use the MSC 5.1 compiler, which is
about as close to ANSI and System V compatible as they come.  Too many
PC and Macintosh compilers don't follow the library conventions, even
when it looks like they do, so the sources are not portable.  This is
especially true of compilers like Turbo C, which seem to have various
structures in their include files whose content and function you have to
try to guess when porting the code.  C source code is just not that
portable: it's easy to port most Unix source to the PC (less so to the
Macintosh), but often very hard to go the other way.

However, there is a second, I think equally important, issue involved.
Some people have claimed, "you should use BBS's to distribute binaries."
But I trust Usenet binary postings much more than any BBS simply because
I trust the technical competence of the people on the Usenet a lot more
than I do most BBS operators I have encountered.  This is probably less
true than formerly, since it appears that now people are interfacing BBS
systems to the Usenet, but the Usenet still has a much higher proportion
of people whose profession is programming, and who can spot malicious
programs more quickly than someone who is primarily a user.

As I mentioned earlier, it seems pointless to keep arguing over this
issue; if a site doesn't like a particular newsgroup, they don't have to
receive it.  I know if we ever have to do this here, we will discontinue
the voluminous "soc" and "talk" groups long before the binary groups.
But the point is, it seems as if people who make such an issue out of
the binary groups are concerned with more than their own site's costs;
they seem to be out to deprive other sites of the groups too.  This
doesn't seem very considerate of other sites who do find the groups
useful.
--
Eric Roskos, IDA (...daitc!csed-1!roskos, or csed-1!roskos@DAITC.ARPA, or
		     Roskos@DOCKMASTER.ARPA)

"To tell you the truth, I can't tell what most of these buttons are for."
"And, it talks like my car.  I don't like that."  -- Passengers heard commenting
                                        on an "ergonomically designed" elevator.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (05/21/88)

In article <4491@dasys1.UUCP> manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) writes:
>In article <4577@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>>What good is the last 30 years of progress in software engineering if
>>we never get the sources?
>
>It's always seemed a bit curious to me that folks who balk the loudest at

>At the moment, Shareware authors represent about the only progress in
>certain software areas, notably communications and file archiving tools, so

>>Binaries don't
>>evolve; when they stop working, they go extinct.  Many of the people on

I think it's time to just switch the binaries over to a separate
distribution. There is obviously both a great need for them, both as
freebies and shareware, but it is equally obvious that a large number sites
just don't want to carry them because a) they are binary not source; b) they
tend to be very large and c) they tend to be available elsewhere.

Now we went through this type of discussion last year and the end result was
the alt groups. So how about:

	alt.pc.binaries
	alt.shareware

As per usual the stuff would be carried by uunet and be available fairly
easily to most sites *IF* they want it.

I would venture to say that some other noisy groups might be appropriate for
moving to alt as well. We have to do something to help cut back the
acceleration in the rate of growth.

Personally I don't subscribe to *all* of the alt groups but do maintain a
link with uunet to get the ones I do want (or are wanted by someone I feed).
I probably would subscribe to alt.pc.binaries.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (05/22/88)

in article <166@atpal.UUCP>, tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) says:
> treating usenet like one supergiant BBS where everyone's 300K demos
> are available for download.

> This point probably needs to be made forcefully: PC users (at home or
> work) with access to Usenet nearly always have access to regional
> Bulletin Boards (BBS) as well, not to mention commercial services
> like CompuServe and GEnie.  For only a few dollars in access time,
> you can get anything you want from these places, and you can put your
> own software in front of tens of thousands of PC owners.  DO IT!  Don't
> impose on the hospitality of the backbone and thousands of other sites
> trying to pervert usenet into Zoonet.  (No offense, Rahul - ARCnet is
> already a trademark. <grin>)

AMEN!!! Sites which post 300K demos of commercial programs should be
immediately evicted from the net for abuse of net.priviliges. The
net is NOT for the marketing benefit of its participants... the net's
primary function is INFORMATION, in particular, the kind of information
and discussion needed to keep up-to-date and commercially viable
(beancounter fodder :-).  I've learned a lot from sources -- how to handle
termcap, the difference between Sys V & BSD tty drivers (:-(), how to open
console ports under AmigaDOS.... but, not a darned thing from binaries.

There ARE some valid places where binaries are appropriate. Generally, for
nifty LITTLE programming utilities, such as, for example, a "grep" utility for
whatever brand of personal computer that you have. But, only with full sources
-- you may not have Brand X compiler, but sources are still useful for other
purposes (for example, if you write a little public domain text editor, you
might want to rip the screen handling out of MicroEmacs and the
pattern-matching out of PD-grep).

--
    Eric Lee Green                     {cuae2,ihnp4}!killer!elg
         Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

jpederse@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Pedersen) (05/26/88)

In article <1227@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:

|>Here is another proposal: how about a group where you post info about
|>available binaries.  Availability info would include a blurb about what it
|>does and a list of ways to get it: Acme BBS, send $3 to Sleazy Software
|>Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

Boy that really opens up some doors,
maybe that group could be called commercial.advertising

Whats the difference between someone "advertising" a program for a few bucks
and someone "offering" a program for a few hundred bucks. Or for that matter
someone "selling" software, hardware, cars, houses, ,..........

--
John.Pedersen@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (05/28/88)

In article <438@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM> jpederse@encad.UUCP (John Pedersen) writes:
>In article <1227@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>|>
>|>Here is another proposal: how about a group where you post info about
>|>available binaries.  Availability info would include a blurb about what it
>|>does and a list of ways to get it: Acme BBS, send $3 to Sleazy Software
>|>Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl
>
>Boy that really opens up some doors,
>maybe that group could be called commercial.advertising
>
>Whats the difference between someone "advertising" a program for a few bucks
>and someone "offering" a program for a few hundred bucks. Or for that matter
>someone "selling" software, hardware, cars, houses, ,..........

Which is exactly what the 'biz' distribution is for.

It's been posted before, so here's it again:

BIZ is a distribution (top-level name) for commercial messages.  'ddsw1' was
the founding point for the distribution.  Although it has not received much
use, 'biz' could easily handle a lot of traffic -- we (and I suspect many of
the other 'biz' sites) have plenty of extra capacity and a willingness to
feed anyone and everyone who can poll us.

The structure is set up such that a site receiving the 'biz' distribution
can easily select which groups are desired; those not wanted simply are not
sent or forwarded.  There is a top-level break for software, hardware, and
computer-related services, as well as provisions for eventual expansion to
cover more than just the computer field.

EMAIL or voice phone for a connection to the 'biz-net'!

----
Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl            | "Quality solutions for work or play"

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (05/31/88)

In article <438@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM>, jpederse@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Pedersen) writes:
> In article <1227@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> |>
> |>Here is another proposal: how about a group where you post info about
> |>available binaries.  Availability info would include a blurb about what it
> |>does and a list of ways to get it: Acme BBS, send $3 to Sleazy Software
> Boy that really opens up some doors,
> maybe that group could be called commercial.advertising
>
> Whats the difference between someone "advertising" a program for a few bucks
> and someone "offering" a program for a few hundred bucks. Or for that matter
> someone "selling" software, hardware, cars, houses, ,..........

Actually, not much.  People advertise houses and cars in misc.forsale and
all kinks of new products are 'advertised' in comp.newprod.  Convention
seems to dictate that this is a problem if other than the individual owner
places the ad.  In other words, if I am a realtor, most people would
be offended (including myself) if I posted real estate ads.

It is hard to imagine that posting 5 lines of information about where
a program is available for $3 (or even $3,000) could be considered more
commercial than posting a binary demo version of a program.  The binary
would certainly be much larger and would probably contain information on
where to purchase the 'real' version.  The intent of posting the demo
binary is to get you to buy the real one.

We sell UNIX software (as well as other stuff) and use the newprod group
to announce the availability of new products.  We hope everyone will rush
out and buy it so we can retire and move to Tahiti or whatever (which
hasn't happened yet) but we also do it so people will know that a new
product is available.  I have been on the other end, looking for a
specific piece of software, and see this type of posting as a service.

Anyway, USENET is here as a service to the users.  This binary
distribution discussion started because people felt that the benefit of
sending binaries on the net may not be worth the cost.  Telling me that
something exists takes a lot less bandwitdh than sending it.  If the
announcement also tells me where I can get it and what it costs, I can now
decide if I an willing to pay the price.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (06/01/88)

Phil Hughes (fyl@ssc.UUCP) writes:
> all kinks of new products are 'advertised' in comp.newprod.

Gee!  I thought the stuff I approved for comp.newprod was all pretty tame!
Some people get off on wierd stuff, huh?   :-)

P.S.  My wife *does* say that I like my computers more than her.  I don't
believe it, though!
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Failure is one of the basic Freedoms!" The Doctor (in Robots of Death)

peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (06/02/88)

Here's my vote, for what it's worth:

Sources only. And sources should be distributed in a generally
readable format (yes, comp.sources.mac, this means you).
--
-- Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
-- Phone: 713-274-5180. Remote UUCP: uunet!nuchat!sugar!peter.