[news.admin] The phone number for Portal

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (05/25/88)

If you are as annoyed as by these "HELP ME" messages being
spewed all over the net as I am, you might appreciate the
#T line shown below...
	#N	.portal.com, .portal.net, portal
	#F	sun.com
	#O	Portal Communications Company
	#C	John Little
	#E	portal!postmaster
	#T	+1 408 973 9111
	#P	19720 Auburn Drive, Cupertino, CA 95014
	#L	122 02 W / 37 19 N city
	#R	Portal Communications Company gateway
	#W	portal!jel (John Little); Sun Sep 13 21:10:41 PDT 1987

/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/25/88)

In article <776@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
> If you are as annoyed as by these "HELP ME" messages being spewed all
> over the net as I am, you might appreciate the #T line shown below...

	I did indeed.  I called Portal this morning and left my name and
number on their answering machine.  An hour or so later somebody called me
back.  When I explained why I was calling she assured me that they were
aware of the situation and had yanked JJ's account yesterday morning (that
would be the morning of the 24th, the same date as the latest round of JJ
messages).
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

garyg@hpscdc.HP.COM (Gary Gitzen) (05/26/88)

>If you are as annoyed as by these "HELP ME" messages ...........

>	#T	+1 408 973 9111

An unidentified voice at that number claimed at ~11AM PDT this morning
that JJ no longer had an account on Portal.

Gary

gordon@sneaky.UUCP (05/28/88)

To anyone who actually sent money to cup.portal.com!JJ:

The US Postal Inspector in charge of the area covering JJ's post office
box would like to hear from you:

Regional Chief Postal Inspector
Central Region
433 West Van Buren
Chicago, Illinois  60607-5401
Attn: Fraud Section

(312) 765-7900

Please send a copy of JJ's article, a letter of complaint explaining that
the article was NOT transmitted by mail but that the payment was, and
details of the payment (having a cancelled check would be ideal.  Swearing
that you sent cash is helpful also).  If you have any substantiation that
JJ isn't nearly as poor as he says he is, or JJ's real name, send that
also.

As far as the Post Office is concerned, blatant panhandling over USENET is
not illegal until the U.S. Mail is actually used to receive payments (and
with a Post Office Box, it's hard to send by any other method, like UPS
or Federal Express).

They are interested in the article even without payment involved, but
it would do little good to innundate the Post Office with thousands of
copies of the article with no proof of a crime.

				Gordon Burditt
				...!ihnp4!sys1!sneaky!gordon

root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) (06/02/88)

In article <-70409151@sneaky>, gordon@sneaky.UUCP writes:

> To anyone who actually sent money to cup.portal.com!JJ:
>
> The US Postal Inspector in charge of the area covering JJ's post office
> box would like to hear from you:

Question 1: Did YOU actually send money to JJ?

> Please send a copy of JJ's article, a letter of complaint

What specifically are YOU complaining about? Did you send money? Then why
do you want US to send a letter of complaint? If not, then why are you
trying to get US to hound this poor clown? I am curious about what YOU are
getting out of it?

> If you have any substantiation that
> JJ isn't nearly as poor as he says he is

What's that got to do with anything? The real question should be: Were YOU
hurt by JJ's request for money? Did he coerce you? Were you too stupid to
say "No, I will not send JJ any money?" And please, none of this bull about
someone has to pay to transmit the News. That's true, but chances are YOU
personally ain't the person who does.

> As far as the Post Office is concerned, blatant panhandling over USENET is
> not illegal until the U.S. Mail is actually used to receive payments

As far as the law is concerned, blatant (or not so blatant) panhandling over
a private network is never illegal. Receiving money through the postal
services is also never illegal. Soliciting money through the mail, by the
way, is not illegal most of the time either, but that doesn't matter since
JJ didn't do that.

Let's take a closer look at the whole issue. What happend? A guy posted a
News message telling a sob story about being in his third year of college,
not having the money to finish, not being willing to quit, and asking us
for money ($1 per person). Then he gave a PO Box to send the money to under
the name "JJ's College Fund."

Just what, pray tell, is wrong with that? My first thought was "Sure, it's
a scam, but so what? It's one of the least effective ones I have seen in
years. What's the poor sod going to receive? $10? $25? Probably not even
enough to pay for the PO Box."

I wasn't upset at his post. In fact, I sat down and wrote a reply, assuming
the guy was for real. I pointed out some alternatives, such as foundations,
and frankly, I hope the guy IS for real and that he makes it.

But what if he isn't? What REAL harm has he done? Again, were YOU dumb enough
to send in your buck? I wasn't! I would suspect the majority of people on
Usenet weren't either. And those who did send in their dollar probably got
more out of it then they would get for most of the dollars they spend:
intangibles like a good feeling about having helped someone out, be he a
con artist or a real student down on his luck.

Frankly, YOUR message disturbed me MUCH more than his. Your reaction was
"Let's call the authorities and throw the bastard in jail," or sentiments
to that effect. I see two things that are drastically wrong with this. The
first is that it's overkill. Do you REALLY believe, even if it was a scam,
that the 15 or even 50 people who were bilked out of one measly dollar were
hurt enough to ruin that poor jerk's life? The second point is that there
are REAL cases of fraud out there that hurt people. The postal inspectors
have more than enough work to do already trying to prevent real con-artists
from bilking people out of their life's earnings to waste their time with
a penny-ante operator who doesn't even seem to know what a real scam is.
And all for what? YOUR self-gratification and self-aggrandizement?

Finally, your message just happens to put the exclamation point on a whole
string of far-right "law and order" type of symptoms that seems to turn
this country into a direction I do not think we really want to go. Kids
turning in their parents for smoking grass. Neighbors setting their neighbors'
houses on fire because they do immoral things in them, things like that. I
think it's about time we started thinking about the meaning of the word
"freedom." Freedom, at least to me, implies tolerance. In other words, if
JJ didn't hurt YOU, mind your own business. If YOU did, on the other hand,
send in money to JJ, then maybe you should examine your own head. Not for
being stupid for sending in money, but for not knowing what it is you really
want to do.

I chose not to send any money to JJ. I have no gripe with his message, whether
it was a scam or a real plea. Let those who feel that they PERSONALLY were
really hurt raise their hands. I suspect nobody will.

> it would do little good to innundate the Post Office with thousands of
> copies of the article with no proof of a crime.

You know, that's the first smart thing I have read in your entire article.
Just what is YOUR problem?

Franz Bauchrowitz

uucp: {mibte,mcf,rel}!uisc1!franz