[news.admin] Binaries vs source, or UNIX vs PC's?

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (05/21/88)

Although everyone is talking about sources vs binaries, I  wonder
if the real issue isn't escaping us?

Nearly *all* the binary postings I have seen are for one  of  the
many  flavours  of  PC's.  The UNIX sites seem  to dislike moving
binaries around, and the PC users have no use for source. To  me,
this  boils  down  to  a  PC  vs  UNIX  argument, not a source vs
binaries one. When was the last time you saw a UNIX binary go by?
Yes, there are a *few*. The ones I'm aware of are for the Sun.

It has been proposed that a top level distribution be set up  for
binary  postings.  I  agree with this in principle, however I can
see some problems with it. It still leaves a lot  of  PC  related
traffic  under the existing comp.sys.* namespace. The volume will
grow considerably over the next few years,  so  eliminating  only
the binary groups is a short term solution at best.

There is also a growing  trend  to  post  other  than  executable
binary  files  in  the  current binaries groups - things like GIF
files come to mind.  I like collecting GIF files, however  I  end
up     looking    in    some    unlikely    places    for    them
(comp.sys.binaries.just_about_everything,   rec.trek,   et   al).
Although  they  are binary files, they aren't "executables" which
is what the binaries groups were originally set up  to  carry.  I
would  hate  to  loose these postings simply because I had no use
for PC executables.

Alright, enough rambling :-)  What to do?

I think it's time the net considered the idea  of  splitting  the
group  namespace  in  a  way  that  separates UNIX groups from PC
groups at a much higher level. Rick Adams has  commented  on  how
usenet  started  as  a  strictly UNIX related network, and others
have indicated the growing resentment on the  part  of  the  "old
guard"  towards  the  growing amount of non-UNIX related traffic.
Splitting the system dependent groups into  unix.all  and  pc.all
would  make  it much easier for sites to filter out material they
are not interested in. [ NO comments on the proposed names -  I'm
simply  trying  to  show  a  very  generic example ]  The generic
groups  (comp.mail,  comp.lang,  comp.text,  etc.)  would  remain
within the existing comp.all namespace.

This namespace split would allow the existing  backbone  to  drop
the  PC  groups if they so desired. This is not to say they would
do so.  However, it is not fair to expect a backbone  (or  other)
site  to pay a significant amount of money moving groups that are
of no use to them, or their neighbors. I'm sure that the PC sites
don't want to spend money on groups they aren't interested in ei-
ther. Such a split in the group namespace would  make  it  easier
for sites to get the groups they *do* want.

--
{alberta,utzoo,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

scott@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Scott Hammond) (05/23/88)

In article <10226@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>Although everyone is talking about sources vs binaries, I  wonder
>if the real issue isn't escaping us?
>
>Nearly *all* the binary postings I have seen are for one  of  the
>many  flavours  of  PC's.  The UNIX sites seem  to dislike moving
>binaries around, and the PC users have no use for source. To  me,
>this  boils  down  to  a  PC  vs  UNIX  argument, not a source vs
>binaries one....
>I think it's time the net considered the idea  of  splitting  the
>group  namespace  in  a  way  that  separates UNIX groups from PC
>groups at a much higher level. Rick Adams has  commented  on  how
>usenet  started  as  a  strictly UNIX related network, and others
>have indicated the growing resentment on the  part  of  the  "old
>guard"  towards  the  growing amount of non-UNIX related traffic.
>Splitting the system dependent groups into  unix.all  and  pc.all...
>This namespace split would allow the existing  backbone  to  drop
>the  PC  groups if they so desired...

Though our site is almost entirely UNIX oriented, almost every office
has a pc or Mac.  I personally don't care for binary distributions, but
I find it hard to believe so many sites would not benefit from pc
related groups.  If newsgroups are split by machine type I'm afraid
continued introduction of new machines would hopelessly fragment the
news (heaven forbid if I should have a pc running UNIX :-)).

My concerns about binary distribution have more to do with the risks of
running a program I cannot easily study, and which might have
unadvertised functions (though I realize a piece of obscure code in a
large source distribution could be hard to notice, at least I have a
chance).

Something else about source vs. binary distribution is that if I see
something interesting in source for a pc, I can always attempt to port
it to whatever I'm using...  I might learn something from an ibmpc
discussion, or by studying someone else's source code.  Without a pc, a
binary distribution is closed to me, hence, I think, the "growing
resentment" you mention.  I think the problem is that binaries
inherently limit the class of users who could benefit from it, as well
as consume what I feel is a disproportionate volume.

The USENET is experiencing growing pains.  UNIX is no longer the only
thing out there, but then is the USENET for the strict benefit of the
UNIX community?  On the other hand, is it time for the USENET to evolve
into "logical subnets" based on propagation of the various groups?  Most
important, which will best serve the future of the USENET in the face of
continued growth?

I prefer working within the existing hierarchy.  I believe "binaries" as
related to executables and pictures properly belongs under the "comp" heading.
But thinking about growth, perhaps we will reach a point where users are
exchanging digitized audio.  Do we want to end up with

   pc.{ ibm.{exec,sources,d}, amiga.{exec,sources,d} }
    and images.{gif,pic,etc}
    and rec.audio.digitized?
or bin.{ exec.{ibmpc,amiga,etc}, images.{gif,pix,etc}, audio }?
or comp.{ exec.{ibmpc,amiga,etc}, images.{gif,pix,etc} },
	and rec.audio.digitized?

Something to think about.  I hope I've contributed somthing useful to the
discussion.
--------
Scott Hammond                        Dept of Computing & Information Sciences
scott@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu                      Kansas State University
scott@ksuvax1.BITNET   attmail!ksuvax1!scott      Manhattan, Kansas
{cbosgd,pyramid,ucsd}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!scott   (913) 532-6350

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (05/27/88)

I am the proud hacker (old connotation) owner of quite a few diverse systems
and would like to put forward my points on binary vs source:

1) source can be (in lots of cases) ported between systems; a definite +

2) binaries can harbor nasty surprises (virus, trojan or other); a definite -

3) source can be very educational

4) binaries almost always are simply used to support the task they were
   designed for, not anything else.

And my final (mediocre) argument, I as a usenet site am not really interested
in passing on megabytes of binary which cannot be used by a large portion of
my leaf nodes.

--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst

peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (06/03/88)

How about a 'binary' distribution, then? Disallow binaries posted to world,
and restrict them to the systems that want to carry them.
--
-- Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
-- Phone: 713-274-5180. Remote UUCP: uunet!nuchat!sugar!peter.