[news.admin] Moderating comp.sources.amiga

We (me personally, in particular, and Sugarland UNIX, in general) are
interested in taking over comp.sources.amiga.

I don't know if we should be taking on comp.binaries.amiga as well...
there's a limit to our philanthropy.

We will get a direct connect to uunet if this goes through. This should give
us the connectivity we need. We will attempt to avoid a bottleneck. I'm
sure the current moderators are doing the best job they can, but multiple month
delays are just getting too much.

Comments, flames, etc...?
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (06/01/88)

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) wrote:
>We (me personally, in particular, and Sugarland UNIX, in general) are
>interested in taking over comp.sources.amiga.

It is currently moderated; the moderators are doing a fair job and
have not expressed any interest in handing it off.  Or are you looking
for a forced takeover?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
		Go Celts!	Go Bruins!

In article <7347@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) wrote:
> >We (me personally, in particular, and Sugarland UNIX, in general) are
> >interested in taking over comp.sources.amiga.

> It is currently moderated; the moderators are doing a fair job and
> have not expressed any interest in handing it off.  Or are you looking
> for a forced takeover?

Basically I'm looking for feedback on the idea. The current moderators
seem to be heavily overworked... for example, there is a pretty long
lead-time (on the order of months) between the time something's sent in
and the time it shows up... and could at least do with some help.

I know we're not the only ones dis-satisfied with the current situation.
I don't know if it's going to improve any time soon. I'd be just as
happy to let them keep doing the job... it's not likely to be cheap...
but they don't seem to be able to.
--

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (06/03/88)

In article <2065@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> We (me personally, in particular, and Sugarland UNIX, in general) are
> interested in taking over comp.sources.amiga.

This would really be great.  I understand the problems with delays are the
result of limitations at Purdue, not the moderators.  They are trying to do
the best job they can within the limits of their system but I think we need
someone who can get source out to the net quicker.  I hope the current
moderators agree.

> I don't know if we should be taking on comp.binaries.amiga as well...
> there's a limit to our philanthropy.

If you can handle comp.binaries.amiga that's fine.  However, I don't
consider binaries nearly as important as source.  You can't learn anything
about programming the Amiga from binaries.

> We will get a direct connect to uunet if this goes through.

That should really speed things up.  I think it would solve the problem
with propagation of source.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

rsk@s.cc.purdue.edu (Wombat) (06/03/88)

In article <407@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>This would really be great.  I understand the problems with delays are the
>result of limitations at Purdue, not the moderators.  They are trying to do
>the best job they can within the limits of their system but I think we need
>someone who can get source out to the net quicker.

Not quite true, and I should know: I'm the news administrator for the
machines that the moderators use.  It is true that there were some initial
difficulties in getting the moderated group(s) working here; these were
due to incompatibilities between the way news 2.11 handles moderated groups
and the way our local code restricting posting access to Usenet works.
The time it took to resolve those difficulties (and the resultant delay
in getting the group started) is my responsibility.  However, it has been
quite some time since this took place.

Since then, the only "limitation" that's been placed on them (and frankly,
I don't consider this a limitation at all) is that I've asked them to even
out the "bursty" flow of traffic in the amiga groups.  To explain: we do
not have any direct UUCP connections at PUCC, and rely on our on-campus
neighbors for our Usenet connectivity.  It seems to make life somewhat
easier for them if large source/binary postings are spread out over a period
of hours/days rather than sent in huge multi-hundred-kbyte chunks with
large gaps between them.  So, I've asked the moderators of the amiga groups
to try to smooth the traffic flow a bit when possible; this doesn't mean
that I've asked them to slow down the groups.  Additionally, since this
is quite easy to do (via "at" and other mechanisms), I don't consider
this an impairment of the group's functionality.

Have any of you tried mailing a note suggesting these improvement to the
moderators themselves?  Sometimes a well-phrased polite note can bring about
the changes desired without too much trouble...
--
Rich Kulawiec, rsk@s.cc.purdue.edu, s.cc.purdue.edu!rsk
PUCC Unix Staff

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (06/04/88)

I suggest a different approach to moderation:  Push all sources out
as soon as you know you have a complete distribution.  Don't compile it,
don't test it, etc.   In other words, the moderator just filters out
people talking in the newsgroup.

On the other hand, the binaries group should be heavily moderated,
like it is now, to guard against viruses, etc.

Comments, moderators?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (06/04/88)

in article <7347@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) says:
> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) wrote:
>>We (me personally, in particular, and Sugarland UNIX, in general) are
>>interested in taking over comp.sources.amiga.
>
> It is currently moderated; the moderators are doing a fair job and
> have not expressed any interest in handing it off.  Or are you looking
> for a forced takeover?

I think he was going for the forced takeover :-).

But, seriously, the above was probably posted before comp.sources.amiga came
back to life (after an unexplained 2-month hiatus). Sugarland's current
connections are, let us say, less than timely (although he said
comp.sources.amiga would be sent straight to UUNET, as timely as USENET can
get).

--
    Eric Lee Green                     {cuae2,ihnp4}!killer!elg
         Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509