[news.admin] Internet Paths in UUCP Maps -- Can We Stop?

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/02/88)

I'd like to make a plea with all sites to stop listing Internet connections on
their UUCP Maps. The problem is that it is getting increasingly difficult for
me to generate meaningful pathalias output. I can twiddle the numbers to make
the paths come out right, but this is becoming tedious. In this day of domains
and smail, there is simply no good reason for any site to list their Internet
connections on the UUCP Maps; domains handle the routing. Isn't this the whole
reason domains were created, to simplify the maps?

The worst "offenders" for us are Rutgers and Ames; I have discussed this with
their respective administrations and they felt they wanted the map entries
kept as is. But why? I mean, there is this nice bunch of lines in D.top:

	rutgers	.uucp
	rutgers	.arpa, .com, .gov, .mil, .edu, .org, .net, .us
	rutgers	.de, .no, .nz
	rutgers	.bitnet

That tells me everything I need to know about rutgers connections. Given this,
why does any site need to show explicit names in their list of links?

Comments? Mel?

<csg>

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/02/88)

Carl,

I have read through this 4 or 5 times and still cannot figure out exactly
what you are complaining about.  What do you mean by "Internet connections"?

In article <25550@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>... The problem is that it is getting increasingly difficult for
>me to generate meaningful pathalias output. I can twiddle the numbers to make
>the paths come out right, but this is becoming tedious.

eh?  why do you need to twiddle anything?  Maybe if you give an example
of what sorts of things you're having troubles with?

>In this day of domains
>and smail, there is simply no good reason for any site to list their Internet
>connections on the UUCP Maps; domains handle the routing. Isn't this the whole
>reason domains were created, to simplify the maps?

Well.  That's not the real reason that domains were created, but it *was* the
reason we push domains for the uucp world so I'll let it stand as is.

>The worst "offenders" for us are Rutgers and Ames; I have discussed this with
>their respective administrations and they felt they wanted the map entries
>kept as is. But why?

Well, I was curious and took a quick look in the map to see what was
going on.  Do you perhaps mean the section of stuff listed as "TCP/IP"
connections?  What's your problems with that?  If all those connections
are anything like the one they have with us it's done with real UUCP
over TCP connections across the internet.  Regardless of how it's done
I'm sure it'd be invisible to you so what's the problem?

>I mean, there is this nice bunch of lines in D.top:
>
>	rutgers	.uucp
>	rutgers	.arpa, .com, .gov, .mil, .edu, .org, .net, .us
>	rutgers	.de, .no, .nz
>	rutgers	.bitnet
>
>That tells me everything I need to know about rutgers connections. Given this,
>why does any site need to show explicit names in their list of links?

how?  If you take away all of the explicit names then how are we
supposed to generate routes within the net?  If I understand what
you're suggesting correctly the only thing in the site entry would be
the comment section.

Now, I do have a problem with rutgers' entries in general.  In
u.usa.nj.1 they have a number of entries for tiny machines (3b2's).
They don't need to do this -- they can easily cause the mail systems on
those machines to generate domain type addresses EVEN if the machines
are uucp only.  smail is wonderful software and does good things.  You
don't even have to have much of a database on the local machine -- my
home machine has ONE entry, the one giving the route to "ukma" the
local smart-host.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- s.k.a.: David le casse\*'   {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

pleasant@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) (06/02/88)

Um, not *all* of the rutgers systems are under my control.  I can't
_make_ them run a smart mailer.
--

                                  Mel Pleasant
 {backbone}!rutgers!pleasant   pleasant@rutgers.edu     mpleasant@zodiac.bitnet

nowicki%rose@Sun.COM (Bill Nowicki) (06/03/88)

In article <300@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:

> ... Not everybody in
> the world is running MX-compatible mailers yet. To get one here, I had
> to search high and low for a hacked version of sendmail 5.58 that would
> run on a Sun-4. It took weeks to find it. Not everyone has that much
> time to spend on something like that.

Note that an MX version of sendmail is included in the current
software release (SunOS 4.0).  This has been shipping to thousands
of customers for about a month.

	-- Bill Nowicki
	   Sun Microsystems

mcb@lll-tis.UUCP (06/03/88)

I'm beginning to get a glimmer of what Carl means in the "Second try",
but I still don't think I agree with the underlying assumptions.
Assuming that everyone is being honest (or at least rational) about
the pathalias cost of their links, both UUCP and Internet, then we
must assume that in the absence of pathological behavior the least
cost (i.e., "most efficient") routes are chosen.

One problem is that the pathalias constants (at the lower numeric levels;
you don't see too many "WEEKLY" entries any more) are stated as "grade of
connection" ("DIRECT", "DEDICATED") but people attempt to derive cost
and speed of delivery from them.

In many cases multiple hop SMTP service is *much* quicker than
single-hop UUCP service, and for people whose network costs are not
(yet) usage-sensitive (hint, hint), it is cheaper as well.

We only list internet connections in the map entry when we have a
TCP-UUCP connection with the site as well, so that mail to

	<us>!foo!bar

will succeed if we have a TCP-UUCP connection to foo.gov, but

	bar@foo

will fail since foo is not in our local domain;

	<us>!foo.gov!bar

is handled by the sendmail config and will succeed in any case.

Michael C. Berch
mcb@tis.llnl.gov / {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!mcb

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/03/88)

Well, every followup and mail reply I've gotten has misunderstood what I was
proposing, so it must have been pretty awful. (I dunno, made sense to me. :-))
Let me try again. And please, don't construe this is a flame at Rutgers or
Ames; they're two of our best links, and I respect Mel Pleasant's judgement a
*lot*. I just want to raise an issue that I think is more important than the
latest about JJ, and see what other SysAdmins think.

First, I'm only talking about eliminating sites, not domains. Adding domains
to the UUCP maps has worked miracles in connectivity.

Second, I'm only talking about eliminating sites on fully connected networks,
that are directly accessible from hundreds of sites on the Arpanet or Milnet.
Sites that are in the hosts table, so MX records aren't an issue. (I'll bet
Greg lunch that there aren't more than a dozen sites in the UUCP map that have
Arpanet or Milnet access and aren't in the host table. See you at USENIX? :-))

What I'm trying to avoid are two types of pathalias funnies: paths that take
long distance UUCP hops when a local call would do, and paths that prefer a
multiple-hop Internet link when an adjacent UUCP link would do.

Take princeton (aka princeton.princeton.edu) as an example. I would like to be
able to route to them via decwrl, sun, ames, or one of the other local Arpanet
or Milnet sites of my chosing. But because princeton is in rutgers' UUCP Map,
and we give rutgers a low cost because it is an important link, pathalias
wants to route to princeton via rutgers.

As an example of the reverse, we have a direct UUCP link to ut-sally. Ames
lists ut-sally(DEDICATED) on their UUCP Map, so pathalias choses the call to
ames and a hop on the Milnet (through the Mil/Arpa gateway?) instead of the
direct UUCP link. The only way to avoid this is to inflate the cost for ames,
or use an unnaturally low cost for ut-sally. (I submit that this problem is
much trickier, and certainly much more arguable. I mean, the hop via ames
honestly is the cheapest.)

The alternatives are to either list all Internet sites in the maps for every
site that has Internet access, or list none of them and let the (preferably
top-level) domains handle the routing. The former is impractical; there are
almost 6500 nodes in the latest host table. That's why I'm proposing the
latter.

An additional possibility would be for Arpa or Milnet sites that have UUCP map
entries to list a reasonable cross-section of other Internet/UUCP gateway
sites in *their* maps; for example, the princeton map would contain:

	decwrl	.princeton.edu
	rutgers	.princeton.edu
	ucbvax	.princeton.edu

or something similar. In fact, I am doing this locally for domains that I am
sure are physically on Arpa or Milnet; but that does nothing for our neigh-
bor's paths, and still leaves the Internet-overrides-UUCP routing problem.

Am I making sense now? Can we try this again?

<csg>

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (06/05/88)

i run pathalias output through this script:

egrep -v '(\.(com|edu|mil|gov|net|org|arpa|[a-z][a-z])	.*!.*!)|(.\.(com|edu|mil|gov|net|org|arpa|[a-z][a-z])	)'

	peter