[news.admin] Forged Jay Orr message

haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (06/09/88)

In article <906@papaya.bbn.com>, rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
> Article <17623@ncoast.UUCP> is a forgery.  The tail end of the path reads
> There is no bbn<->ncoast link.

Yes, but Rich, it was such a wonderful forgery.  It contained so many
wonderful suggestions.  I hadn't thought of postage due ...

As for the phone number, it answers with a modem.  Obviously a fact the
forger was unaware of.  The modem doesn't seem to be connected to anything
of any import.  I tried banging on it with no avail.  Did anyone else
do any better???

My guess as to where the forgery entered the net is at idis or decvax.
What say everyone mail the Path: line to allberry@ncoast and let him
figure it out ;-)

- John.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                          jfh@rpp386.uucp :SMAILERS

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune

henrik@blblbl.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) (06/11/88)

In article <144@pigs.UUCP>, haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> forger was unaware of.  The modem doesn't seem to be connected to anything
> of any import.  I tried banging on it with no avail.  Did anyone else
> do any better???

Well, I had some friends who used to occasionally forget to turn off their
modem after using it.  For a while, there were these crackers who kept dialing
in and trying to crack their terminal.  It was most amusing.

					larry...

PS:  No, they never did think at the time to type back to them.  Too bad.  They
could have had some *real* fun.

GOOD AFTERNOON, PROFESSOR

HOW ABOUT A GAME OF CHESS?