[news.admin] third party email through AT&T machines to be discontinued

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (06/11/88)

[ Note: Followups to news.admin ]

In article <1316@cblpf.ATT.COM> attnews@ihnp4.att.com (Harold Jackson) writes:

>Effective September 1, 1988, pass-through email will be returned to the
>sender.  We may install software to generate warnings before then, so
>people won't suddenly be surprised.  We will update the UUCP map
>immediately.

Will the AT&T sites also be dropping off the USENET backbone?

If the AT&T sites continue to propogate news internally, and pass
those articles in and out via the few remaining gateways, there's
going to be a hell of a lot of mail bouncing at the gateways when
someone tries to reply to a news article, and their news software
uses the Path: to generate the return address.

I agree that these sites should smarten up their mailers, however
we're still living and working in the "real world" ... (sigh) The
only solution I can see to this bouncing mail problem is for AT&T
to drop off the backbone.

[ Nice paragraph formatting, eh? Maybe unbundling troff isn't all
  that much of a bad thing after all :-) ]

--
{alberta,utzoo,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/13/88)

If AT&T doesn't drop off the backbone, it might not be a bad thing.
People would finally install smail and domain name handlers, instead
of waiting to get around to it.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473
	"USENET -- the world's least important network."