[news.admin] The many virtues of public access

max@trinity.uucp (Max Hauser) (06/10/88)

This bashing of public-access sites so current of late ignores their
many positive contributions to the usenet community.  Just think what we
would have missed out on to date without public access:

  - Provocative offerings of products and services of all kinds,
    sometimes posted with the most clever titles and devilishly
    subtle and diverse choices of newsgroups;

  - The opportunity to help one or more deserving people like JJ;

  - The invaluable cogitations of such sundry visionaries as many in and
    around Marin County, California, whose depth of expertise and ability
    to work together coherently are exceeded only by futuristic insights
    denied most ordinary moderns -- to an extent that even they marvel at;

  - Mark Ethan Smith.

Defensive public-access users and administrators are quite right that
similar blessings come (if not always in such abundance) from traditional
usenet sites (university, industrial and government) too. This is clearly,
they imply, an argument for welcoming public access.

So is "you are going to see a lot more of my kind of access in the future
and you had better get used to it."  What could possibly be more endearing
to those of us watching usenet evolve.  Especially those who've been
with it enough years to see the charming effects of rampant growth (as the
total volume increases by an order of magnitude while the rate of quality
contributions, if anything, falls).

Ah, progress.  What further delights have we to look forward to?

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (06/10/88)

In article <3881@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> max@trinity.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:
]
]Ah, progress.  What further delights have we to look forward to?

You leaving the net???
--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) (06/14/88)

In article <5795@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>In article <3881@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> max@trinity.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:
>]
>]Ah, progress.  What further delights have we to look forward to?
>
>You leaving the net???

Looks that way, don't it?

--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {ihnp4,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs