[news.admin] comp.women: did I call it or did I call it?

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/19/88)

In a previous article I wrote about comp.women:

>its moderation is probably going to be broken more than any other's.

So tell me: how many others moderated newsgroups get broken into by
their fourth article (here at UCB) ?? (First at the site in question.)

It was probably the most condescending piece of trash I've ever seen on
USENET.  It seems some fella down in Texas was sooooooo concerned that
these girls just couldn't figure out how to handle the software, so he's
just making a test for them.

The group gets formed and right away a jerk jumps right in.  "But I was
*only* trying to help."  Goddam cretin.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

In article <11128@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
> In a previous article I wrote about comp.women:
> >its moderation is probably going to be broken more than any other's.
>
> It was probably the most condescending piece of trash I've ever seen on
> USENET.  It seems some fella down in Texas was sooooooo concerned that
> these girls just couldn't figure out how to handle the software, so he's
> just making a test for them.
>
> The group gets formed and right away a jerk jumps right in.  "But I was
> *only* trying to help."  Goddam cretin.

	This is an historic event - I must say that the above is one article
by "Obnoxious" that I agree with!

	In my opinion, the unilateral, unwarranted and unwanted newgroup
creation by "some fella down in Texas" is almost as atrocious in nature
as the JJ@portal business.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (06/21/88)

In article <2571@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> 	In my opinion, the unilateral, unwarranted and unwanted newgroup
> creation by "some fella down in Texas" is almost as atrocious in nature
> as the JJ@portal business.

The group was properly voted on and passed.  It was the lack of action
on the part of a certain spineless creature in Florida which resulted in
Karl's creation of the group.

And by the way, Karl Kleinpaste is at Ohio State University, which is
not a part of Texas.  Misquoting your facts is certainly worse than
anything with JJ@Portal ever did.

- John.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                          jfh@rpp386.uucp :SMAILERS

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune

dovich@helios.DAB.GE.COM (Steven J. Dovich) (06/21/88)

In article <179@pigs.UUCP>, haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:

> The group was properly voted on and passed.  It was the lack of action
> on the part of a certain spineless creature in Florida which resulted in
> Karl's creation of the group.

Just because our only backbone host, codas, goes out of the backbone
business is no invitation to taunt the whole state for being
spineless. Those of us who run the "branch-bones" certainly feel the
state has more cartilage than that...

I do believe that your reference to Gene is a bit mistaken. There is
also no point in pursuing action which will further polarize the
situaton. As one of the public figures involved in the disagreement, I
think Gene was right to defer creation of the group until things
cooled off. By letting someone else take the action, the spectre of
bias was removed, tempering the reaction from the net community.

Of course take this with a pinch of salt, I am not privy to the goings
on of the backbone. I do however think that several prominent net
personalities (and several less prominent ones) got crucified
unnecessarily in this skirmish. That is the price of participation.

I would like to encourage each of us to exhibit some self restraint. I
think we could all use a little time to lick our wounds while we
ponder whether this was worth the price.

> And by the way, ...
> ...  Misquoting your facts is certainly worse than --

Never mind...  :-)

--
Steven J. Dovich <dovich@ge-dab.GE.COM>
                                            General Electric Company

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (06/24/88)

The Beach Bum (haugj@pigs.UUCP) writes:
|In article <2571@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
|> 	In my opinion, the unilateral, unwarranted and unwanted newgroup
|> creation by "some fella down in Texas" is almost as atrocious in nature
|> as the JJ@portal business.
|The group was properly voted on and passed.  It was the lack of action
|on the part of a certain spineless creature in Florida which resulted in
|Karl's creation of the group.

A group called comp.women was voted upon.  Unless I missed a LOT of news, a
group called comp.society.women was never voted upon.  Some people expressed
their preference for this name over comp.women, but it was never voted upon.

--
Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm
+1 206 251 6811    Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises