[news.admin] Request to be added to Herr Uhrig's kill file

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (06/24/88)

This is a request to be added to Werner Uhrig's kill file, along with Matt,
Bob and whoever else doesn't measure up to his exacting standards. Kill files
obviously have their place to handle uninteresting topics, but using them
to *blinker* oneself from views or attitudes one dislikes is the height of
net.folly.  If Herr Uhrig has an enemies list, I demand inclusion.

Speaking for the impure untermenschen of the net,

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/24/88)

In article <5132@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1 (Tom Neff) writes:
>								    Kill files
>obviously have their place to handle uninteresting topics, but using them
>to *blinker* oneself from views or attitudes one dislikes is the height of
>net.folly.

I have zero objection to being in anyone's KILL file.  In fact, I encour-
age it.  I use them extensively.  It's the only way to read Usenet.  And
Werner is not "hiding" from anything--he merely has better things to do
with his reading time.  Werner and I exchanged a little e-mail on the
topic--he wanted me to stop.  I got mail from others asking me to continue.

Werner voted YES on c.w, btw.

>	     If Herr Uhrig has an enemies list, I demand inclusion.

It's not an enemies list.  It's merely a boredom list.  Although I find
it strange that he didn't put "women" in his KILL file.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: newsgroups and Usenet itself
are driven by reader *interest*.  Not by what they *ought* to be inter-
ested in.  Not by what "society" says the correct topic *ought* to be.
Only by what the readers are actually interested in.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (06/25/88)

> If Herr Uhrig has an enemies list, I demand inclusion.

	I do NOT have an enemies list (the term kill-file may be unfortunate
	but was not coined by me), only a SANITY-list (supposed to keep me
	sane);  it is an exclusive list and you cannot get on it by simply
	demanding it - your posted articles have to qualify you for it !

	many people have made friendly appeals to Matt, Bob, Mark, and ?
	to tone it down and reduce output - to no avail.
	I now practice (and suggest) ignoring all output from them.
	Is that taking too much "freedom of speech" for your taste?

	They get to "post all they want", I get to say "let's ignore them!"
	- who's polluting whose "air"??!!

	we all practice this technique every day we are just afraid to
	say so aloud to avoid "the bad press" generated by bozos who think
	they "defend the right of free speech" by questioning the right of
	someone saying "let's ignore this fellow, because all the follow-ups
	make matters even worse!"