[news.admin] newgroup/rmgroup wars

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (06/25/88)

I've received four control messages creating or deleting comp.women today.
I understand (sort of) why the news software allows any jerk with root
privilege to send these out, but wouldn't it be a great improvement if
the backbones didn't pass them on without at least being eyeballed?  The
same could be said for "sendsys"!  I know this means more work for the
administrators at the backbones, but, hey, we're not talking about very
many true newgroups/rmgroups.

As far as the current situation is concerned, aren't these postings an abuse?
Wouldn't sanctions be appropriate for these yahoos?  If I were roy@phri (who
feeds bc-cis, the offender in the last message), I'd at least threaten them.

Here are the messages.  Judge for yourself.

---------------------------------

|---------
|From: bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield)
|Newsgroups: comp.women.ctl
|Subject: rmgroup comp.women
|Date: 23 Jun 88 20:56:47 GMT
|Control: rmgroup comp.women
|Sender: news@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
|This group has existed as comp.society.women (moderated) since 17 Jun
|1988.  Please wait patiently until it propagates to you.
|-=-
| Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
| The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
| bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!bob
|-----------
|From: bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield)
|Newsgroups: comp.women.ctl
|Subject: rmgroup comp.women
|Date: 24 Jun 88 18:56:37 GMT
|Control: rmgroup comp.women
|Sender: news@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
|
|Group already exists as comp.society.women, as per request of the
|moderator of the group.  comp.women is redundant and unmoderated.
|-=-
| Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
| The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
| bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!bob
|---------------
|From: berto@bc-cis.UUCP ( Operations)
|Newsgroups: comp.women.ctl
|Subject: newgroup comp.women
|Date: 24 Jun 88 02:52:13 GMT
|Control: newgroup comp.women

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (06/25/88)

*ahem* We are a backbone site, and I was trying to do the task you
suggest, though by hand rather than in an automated sort of way.  As
soon as I "eyeballed" each of the two newgroups, I issued the
corresponding rmgroup.  I suspect the same happened at killer, since
Bill's rmgroup arrived here probably at about the same time my second
one arrived there.

I don't like to get into an rmgroup war, but if folks don't want to go
along, they don't have to rmgroup it, or even accept the newgroup for
that matter.  There was enough bloodshed on the backbone list just to
get the group created, without continuing to cause more problems by
random newgroups.

To the issuers of the newgroups: As always, your site is welcome to
carry any group it likes.  Our site is too.  We won't carry
comp.women, and I doubt that the rest of the backbone is in much of a
mood to, either.  The discussion you'd like to see is progressing in
comp.society.women with the full support of the moderator (whose idea
it was in the first place, anyway) and the rest of the net-at-large.

Let it rest now, OK?  Let's move on to the next thing, and hope we can
do it more calmly this time.
-=-