>From: webber@rutgers.edu (Net.Rarebit)
Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl
Subject: sendsys
Date: 20 Jun 88 22:20:20 GMT
Control: sendsys

The others are identical, I'll just show the Path: and Message-ID: \'s added

And my system dutifully complied.  I caught the last two before they were
actually sent, but the first one did go.

This is malicious mischief and the perpetrator should be severely punished.
Someone suggested that "net.rarebit" was a forgery and if it is, it's
intended to flood Bob Webber's mailbox, punishable malicious mischief.
Anyone who knows enough to do it knows better.

I am of the opinion that it is not a forgery, that it _is_ Bob Webber and
he has certainly been around long enough to know better, intentional
malicious mischief.  He should be punished, by his news administrator, not
the net.

The sendsys that did go out from ssbn was miniscule, but if you think about
a site with a big sys file, all of the sites who got it, three times, I
think it's a gross abuse of net privileges.  I was less irritated before
I read the control messages.  This person needs a news administrator to
land on them and soon.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill

wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/23/88)

Think about what you're saying, Mr. Kennedy. Webber could not have posted
those sendsys messages anyway; he's not a news administrator. But, you say,
he could have gotten by that little restriction.

Of course he could have. But just look at the headers! He is NOT
webber@rutgers.edu or rutgers!webber; in fact, I think there are a total
of something like five people who actually have accounts on rutgers itself.
Webber is at athos, or aramis, or porthos, or even constance. Not rutgers.
--
Bill Wisner
..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis,rutgers}!killer!wisner

In article <106@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> I am irritated by something that happened today as I am sure other news
> administrators were.  I hope that I have not added to the flood if there
> is one.  I recall something similar about a portal user.  I got three
> sendsys messages:

	`Kitty' also received three separate sendsys requests all on the
same day.  I thought it unusual, but was not particularly irritated by
it.  I WAS rather irritated about a similar happening about a year ago
to a site to which we used to distribute news and mail - since our site
happened to pass the majority of the sendsys responses back to the originator
(I'm talking about some MEGAbytes worth of sendsys response traffic for
which we had to pay the toll costs.)
	The moral of the story is that sendsys messages on a netwide basis
generate HUGE amounts of traffic - and sendsys messages should not be sent
without damn good reason.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/23/88)

In article <106@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>...[re the sendsys messages available everywhere in /usr/spool/news/control]
> This is malicious mischief and the perpetrator should be severely punished.

Well, not ``severly'' punished.  I would be quite happy to just log
into their ``home'' system from time to time and explore it in the manner
they seem to be exploring the news software.

> Someone suggested that "net.rarebit" was a forgery and if it is, it's
> intended to flood Bob Webber's mailbox, punishable malicious mischief.

I know of no net.rarebit postings other than ones occurring in news.*
with Sender: clearly indicating webber@aramis.rutgers.edu.  So far, the
only forgeries I have seen are those that came in the control group.
Doubtless they were intended to flood my mailbox -- much as Spafford
did last summer with his call for a vote of confidence (plus request
that a cc of each vote go to me).

> Anyone who knows enough to do it knows better.

Obviously this is not true.

> I am of the opinion that it is not a forgery, that it _is_ Bob Webber and
> he has certainly been around long enough to know better, intentional
> malicious mischief.  He should be punished, by his news administrator, not
> the net.

An amusing opinion.  Quite wrong.  Now if their return address had
been the mail addresses of each of the moderators, I would understand
such an opinion (it would still be wrong -- but it would be
understandable).  Of course, this posting claiming to come from you
might itself be a forgery since the opinions expressed hardly fit in
with those expressed earlier when nominating me as ``keeper of the
votes.''  Then again, perhaps the weather isn't fair today in your
neck of the woods.

> I read the control messages.  This person needs a news administrator to
> land on them and soon.

Assuming you mean whoever sent the sendsys message, then I would agree
that it is clear that using the net mail facilities in this manner is
not an idea that should be encouraged.  On the other hand, at the
moment I have a rather low opinion of the people who set up the system
so that it could be so easily abused.  It is hard to see a way to
interpret this in the manner advised by Hanlon's Razor (cf
/usr/games/lib/fortunes.dat).  In theory there should be enough
information in various places on the net to establish rather well who
did this, even under the current setup.  Already enough information
has been collected to convince the local admins that it was not
generated from rutgers.edu.

------ BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) (06/23/88)

In article <106@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>I am irritated by something that happened today as I am sure other news
>administrators were.  I hope that I have not added to the flood if there
>is one.  I recall something similar about a portal user.  I got three
>sendsys messages:

>>From: webber@rutgers.edu (Net.Rarebit)
>Subject: sendsys

Don't feel bad, I got four.

From: webber@rutgers.edu (Net.Rarebit)

From: webber@rutgers.edu (Net.Rarebit)

From: webber@rutgers.edu (Net.Rarebit)

From: webber@rutgers.UUCP

All arrived in the wee hours, so four copies of the sys file were sent.

With stupid things like this going on, is it any wonder that sites such
as AT&T are making restrictions?
--
James C. Armstrong, Jr.		{ulysses,other backbone}!terminus!nyssa

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/24/88)

In article <4552@killer.UUCP> wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Think about what you're saying, Mr. Kennedy. Webber could not have posted
>those sendsys messages anyway; he's not a news administrator. But, you say,
>he could have gotten by that little restriction.

Bill's quite right, of course.  I don't think I was entirely unjustified
in suspecting that Bob did it, but I was dead wrong.  Bill and Bob have
already pointed out.  I have apologized to Bob for `accusing' him, I thought
it was clear I only `suspected' him.  The difference must be too fine.

>Of course he could have. But just look at the headers! He is NOT
>webber@rutgers.edu or rutgers!webber; in fact, I think there are a total
>of something like five people who actually have accounts on rutgers itself.
>Webber is at athos, or aramis, or porthos, or even constance. Not rutgers.

Correct again.  Bob's article says he only got a megabyte or so, and that
reinforces my real complaint.  It's not the replies that are at issue, it's
the discussion that ensues.  If we find and stop the forger then the
discussion dries up.  I still think it is a childish prank and that the
news administrators should find out who did it and stop them.  I sincerely
hope that Bob's suggestion that a backbone administrator did it is wrong.
That would, in my opinion, be beneath their dignity.  I'll not clutter
further with discussion I've already objected to.

On the positive side it would be useful to me and similar minimally skilled
news administrators to have someone post some tips on how to prevent such
folly.  I feel fairly sure that a reader at ssbn could have done it, sure
enough to check the logs to make sure they hadn't.  Are there ways we should
set up permissions so that only the news administrator can easily do some
things?  We have seen enough forgeries in the last few weeks to justify
an article in this group on ways to make them harder to do.  RTFM doesn't
help, TFM is silent on this topic.  Maybe Rick will post something when he
gets back from SF, I hope so.  I also hope it isn't as clumsy and having
to apply all of control by hand.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (06/24/88)

As a netnews neighbor of rutgers, I find it very unusual that
<net.rarebit.1@rutgers.edu> would have been passed to my site from
rutgers, especially if it is truly a forgery.  However, a clever
miscreant could have done it with NNTP or UUCP if he/she/it has
such connections to rutgers.

Jun 22 15:23	pyrdc	received <net.rarebit.1@rutgers.edu> ng news.admin.ctl subj 'sendsys' from webber@rutgers.edu (Net.Rarebit)
Jun 22 19:14	rutgers	Duplicate article <net.rarebit.1@rutgers.edu> rejected. Path: rutgers!webber

Even though pyrnj first received the article via
pyrdc!uunet!husc6!rutgers!webber, we already see a lot of comp.mail.maps
articles coming through that path also.  It may be noteworthy that we
received the 4 messages in the order 3 4 2 1, all through different
paths.  Whoever sent the <net.rarebit.?@rutgers.edu> series has a
thorough, devious mind, with a knack for obfuscatory tactics.

I cannot judge whether Dr. Webber is innocent or guilty.  I find it
disappointing that Webber, someone with a gift for original thought
(such as USENET could use) has decided to apply himself to creating
havoc, rather than productive efforts.  The same may be said for the
originator of the sendsys messages.  These activities are childish
and beneath contempt.  I will refrain from further comment.

Romain Kang			{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,rutgers}!pyrnj!romain
Pyramid Technology Corp. /  10 Woodbridge Center Dr. /  Woodbridge NJ  07095

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/24/88)

In article <1192@pyrnj.uucp>, romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) writes:
> As a netnews neighbor of rutgers, I find it very unusual that
> <net.rarebit.1@rutgers.edu> would have been passed to my site from
> rutgers, especially if it is truly a forgery.  However, a clever
> miscreant could have done it with NNTP or UUCP if he/she/it has
> such connections to rutgers.

Yeah.  The other thing pointing to someone close to the Rutgers system
is that this all seems to have begun near the time Mel was boarding
a plane for Usenix (he skipped the tutorial sessions).  Ain't idle
speculation fun.

> articles coming through that path also.  It may be noteworthy that we
> received the 4 messages in the order 3 4 2 1, all through different

Well, we recieved them like:

Script started on Thu Jun 23 22:25:45 1988
porthos[2,1] pwd
/aramis/usr/spool/news/control
porthos[2,2] grep net.rare *
9495:Message-ID: <net.rarebit.1@rutgers.edu>
9496:Message-ID: <net.rarebit.3@rutgers.edu>
9497:Message-ID: <net.rarebit.4@rutgers.edu>
9499:Message-ID: <net.rarebit.2@rutgers.edu>
porthos[2,3] grep Date: 949[5679]
9495:Date: 20 Jun 88 22:20:20 GMT
9496:Date: 20 Jun 88 22:20:20 GMT
9497:Date: 20 Jun 88 22:20:20 GMT
9499:Date: 20 Jun 88 22:20:20 GMT
porthos[2,4] grep Path: 949[5679]
9495:Path: aramis.rutgers.edu!rutgers!webber
9496:Path: aramis.rutgers.edu!njin!princeton!udel!rochester!cornell!uw-beaver!mit-eddie!husc6!bbn!uwmcsd1!ig!agate!ucbvax!rutgers!webber
9497:Path: aramis.rutgers.edu!njin!princeton!udel!rochester!bbn!uwmcsd1!ig!agate!ucbvax!ucsd!sdcsvax!rutgers!webber
9499:Path: aramis.rutgers.edu!njin!princeton!udel!rochester!bbn!uwmcsd1!ig!agate!pasteur!ames!rutgers!webber
porthos[2,5] ls -l 949[5679]
-rw-r--r--  1 news          255 Jun 21 20:52 9495
-rw-r--r--  1 news          347 Jun 21 21:45 9496
-rw-r--r--  1 news          326 Jun 21 21:45 9497
-rw-r--r--  1 news          319 Jun 21 21:49 9499
porthos[2,6] exit
porthos[2,7]
script done on Thu Jun 23 22:29:30 1988

> I cannot judge whether Dr. Webber is innocent or guilty.  I find it
> disappointing that Webber, someone with a gift for original thought
> (such as USENET could use) has decided to apply himself to creating
> havoc, rather than productive efforts.  The same may be said for the
> originator of the sendsys messages.

Actually it is not clear that the originator of the sendsys message
actually meant to create havoc.  Most people seem to have become aware
of all of this because of the message rutgers sends out about the
alias going away rather than from the actual sendsys itself -- and it
is not clear whether the orignator was aware of that aspect of it all.

Certainly people who want Usenet to turn into a moderated collection
of comp groups where people can post requests saying to send directly
to them since they don't actually read the groups (i.e., all of Usenet
like comp.sources.wanted), such people would certainly view my vision
(or more accurately, my memory) of Usenet and any ``productive''
efforts toward its encouragement as ``havoc.''  I view unrestricted
online information of ANY kind as a rare and precious resource of the
net and anything that tries to stem that flow (even if the attempt is
backed up with alot of mumbo jumbo about S/N ratios) as criminal.  The
flow, however, does not need to flow as fast as it currently does [and
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the quality-seekers didn't find that
a slower net with fewer transfers per night made resulted in more
interesting postings].  Of course, the ``current administration'' made
its reputation on improving the speed and reliability of mail and news
simultaneously and seems to have difficulty with the concept that
while this might have been a nice thing for mail, it was the worst thing
they could have done for news.

C'est la vie.

---- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/24/88)

In article <109@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>								I sincerely
>hope that Bob's suggestion that a backbone administrator did it is wrong.
>That would, in my opinion, be beneath their dignity.

That may be your opinion, but it's dead wrong.  I'm not naming names,
but long ago someone way up there in net.heaven once posted the Purity
Test to net.test from a user ID that was actually the start of a com-
plicated mail-forwarding route to someone else up there in net.heaven.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/25/88)

In article <6142@terminus.UUCP>, nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) writes:
> In article <106@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> > ...I got three
> >sendsys messages:

> Don't feel bad, I got four.

I feel bad, I didn't get any... :-(  (or :-)?

I wonder who all *did* get them... was it derived from everyone posting
in news.bitch.about.names.of.groups on 4Jun?  Or was it a simple
"for every machine in the pathalias database, do a sendsys.."?

--
                                        Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
"But why should I type "rm -r $HOME" if I want to play trek???"