[news.admin] the PUBNET network

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (06/25/88)

On June 10, I broadcasted a "sendsys" message through the pubnet.  I have
accumulated all of the responses.  In summary, I have found:

    - There are 96 systems receiving the pubnet distribution.
    - There are two pubnet backbones.

To determine the pubnet connectivity, I hacked together some scripts to
generate statistics from the sys files.  From this information, I manually
created a "backbone" map.  In a moment, I'll describe my definition of a
backbone site, but first, here is the map:

	bu-cs ----- UUNET ----- lll-winken ----- DDSW1 ----- ditka

	 petro ----- tness7 ----- KILLER ----- bigtex ----- qiclab

I defined a "backbone" site as a site which exchanges all messages within
at least one pubnet newsgroup (e.g. a link with the 'L' sys file flag is
not counted) with more than five other sites, and at least one of those
other sites is a "backbone" site.  A "major backbone" site exchanges
pubnet messages with at least ten other sites.  Major backbones sites are
capitalized in the map.

By this definition, there are two backbones to pubnet.  I went through the
paths of all my pubnet news articles to see how messages are crossing
from the UUNET/DDSW1 backbone to the KILLER backbone.  It appears that
messages are going DDSW1-->KILLER via two intermediate sites:

    ddsw1!lll_winken!netsys!killer.

It appears that messages are going UUNET-->KILLER by four intermediate
sites (ick):

    uunet!warble!rpp386!dalsqnt!pollux!killer.

By the way my site is on the KILLER backbone, which is why I'm focusing
on the -->KILLER flow.

I don't think this connectivity is too great.  There are two things
which would fix this.  First, it would be nice if some site could connect
between killer and uunet.  Second, we should promote netsys to an honorary
backbone site :-).

Here are all the sites which responded to the sendsys request:

ausG.UUCP	    fed.FRB.GOV		mcdchg.UUCP	    spike.UUCP
bacchus		    fluke.COM		mcsd.UUCP	    spl1.UUCP
beartrk.UUCP	    glakes.UUCP		mjbtn.UUCP	    spt.entity.com
bellboy.UUCP	    grebyn.COM		mrsvr.UUCP	    stb.UUCP
bigtex.uucp	    helps.UUCP		murphy.UUCP	    steinmetz.ge.com
bloom-beacon.MIT.ED hi.unm.edu		mybest.UUCP	    studsys.mu.edu
bu-cs.BU.EDU	    icus.UUCP		ncoast.UUCP	    sugar.UUCP
bucsb.UUCP	    igloo.UUCP		ncsuvx.ncsu.edu	    sw1e.UUCP
buengc.BU.EDU	    iitmax.IIT.EDU	netsys.UUCP	    swlabs.UUCP
bywater.UUCP	    illian.UUCP		ninja.UUCP	    ti-csl.CSNET
catlabs.UUCP	    inco.UUCP		nosun.UUCP	    tis.llnl.gov
chinet.UUCP	    inta1.UUCP		obdient.UUCP	    tness1.UUCP
compsys.mu.edu	    iquery.UUCP		otishq.UUCP	    tness7.UUCP
crash.cts.com	    irs3.UUCP		pacbell.PacBell.COM ubvax.UB.Com
crlabs.UUCP	    jackson.UUCP	pcmsam.UUCP	    unisec.usi.com
daitc.ARPA	    jclyde.UUCP		percival.UUCP	    usna.MIL
dalsqnt.UUCP	    jolnet.UUCP		petro.UUCP	    uunet.UU.NET
dasys1.UUCP	    juniper.UUCP	pollux.UUCP	    uwmcsd1.UUCP
ddsw1.UUCP	    killer.UUCP		portal.UUcp	    vdsvax.steinmetz.ge
ditka.UUCP	    lakesys.UUCP	psu-cs.UUCP	    vector.UUCP
eddie.MIT.EDU	    ll1a.UUCP		qiclab.UUCP	    vsi1.UUCP
eklektik.UUCP	    lll-lcc.aRpA	richp1.UUCP	    warble.UUCP
elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov  lll-winken.llnl.gov	rpp386.UUCP	    wybbs.UUCP
etnibsd.UUCP	    marque.mu.edu	sausys.UUCP	    zeek.UUCP

Following is my data on the sites which feed pubnet to at least five other
sites.  Remember, links via the 'L' flag are not counted.  Also, my scripts
aren't intelligent enough to discern a real site from a phony sys file
entry (such as an entry for a pubnet.sources archiver).

killer	  17  backup,ames,bigtex,chinet,rpp386,dcs,icus,jolnet,mcsd,
		mit-eddie,mjbtn,netsys,ozdaltx,tness7,wybbs,vector,test-bounce
uunet	  15  portal,usna,bywater,fed,steinmetz,hnsurg3,altnet,warble,wash08,
		etnibsd,cwi,pi,inco,island,SOURCES
ddsw1	  11  atrium,chinet,ditka,gryphon,igloo,indep1,lll-winken,obdient,
		spl1,swlabs,tapa
qiclab	  10  psu-cs,percival,larkint,catlabs,bigtex,pcmsam,ohsu-hcx,mntgfx,
		illian,nosun
bigtex	  10  juniper,jclyde,helps,mybest,natinst,unisec,chinet,killer,
		qiclab,mybest
tness7	   9  tness1,swbatl,ness386,ninja,texas1,killer,petro,bellcore,bellboy
lll-winken 9  uunet,ubvax,scooter,ncdpc1,gryphon,netsys,hc.dspo.gov,lll-tis,spl1
marque	   7  compsys,studsys,uwmcsd1,lakesys,madnix,gryphon,introl
petro	   6  swri14be,iquery,swrinde,tness7,sausys,master
ditka	   6  dasys1,bacchus,ddsw1,mcdchg,eklektik,stb
bu-cs	   6  uunet,ncsuvx,bloom-beacon,cloud9,buengc,bucsb
tis	   5  lll-lcc,lll-ncis,lll-winken,mordor,pacbell
ninja	   5  tness7,pollux,killer,dalsqnt,sys1
--
Chip Rosenthal /// chip@vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400
{uunet!warble,sun!texsun!rpp386,killer}!vector!chip

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (06/26/88)

Chip,
	that's a nice, informative report; there was only one thing I could
	not figure out:

		What is PUBNET?

	the article didn't say, and I don't recall the definition from
	earlier articles to new.admin.  may be my aging brain-cells ...

--Werner

PS: when I did a "follow-up", posting failed as follows:

What now?  [send, edit, list, quit, write] s
Posting article...
inews: Unknown newsgroup pubnet.config
Article not posted - exit status 256

I'll try again after changing the order of the groups in the Newsgroups-header
from:

	Newsgroups: pubnet.config,news.admin

	Newsgroups: news.admin,pubnet.config

should that be classified as a BUG or a FEATURE ?   :-)(  <= not sure which

..... the bad news is, it didn't work either, so now I have to remove
	pubnet.config from the list ... apologies to the readers of that
	group (who also read news.admin; the heck with the others ..:-)