[news.admin] I thought we were in this together -- AT&T not upholding its end..

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/16/88)

While reading all the debate over AT&T's withdrawal from third-party
mail forwarding, I got to thinking.

I thought it worked like this:  Each of us takes on the mail links
we can afford.  For the privelege of sending mail through other people's
machines, we let them send mail through ours.

It seems that AT&T doesn't like this deal anymore.  Fine.  Cut
AT&T off of *us*, and make them pay for and set up a seperate link
to each and every machine that they want to talk to outside of AT&T.

Imagine if management@{killer,rutgers,bellcore,etc} decided they didn't
like forwarding other people's mail.  How long would their neighbors keep
their links? Forever?  A while?  Not too long?

Imagine if we all got greedy and decided not to forward mail for other
folks.

Think about it.

Me, I'm just a pseudo-leaf node.  Mail *could* be forwarded through me,
but most of my neighbors are connected to the same houston<->world
gateway site as I am.  One day, though, I may control a more important
site.  I hope I remember all this then.
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
Spelling errors are directly related to how little time I have...

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/18/88)

In article <875@flatline.UUCP>, I write:

> I thought it worked like this:  Each of us takes on the mail links
> we can afford.  For the privelege of sending mail through other people's
> machines, we let them send mail through ours.

I've recieved some mail from AT&T employees concerning how
much their long distance bill is, and how many people
put ihnp4 as the start of their UUCP address...  So maybe they are
a tad justified in turning into a leaf node.

I thought most everybody was running pathalias and a mailer that
used it, making .sig paths unneccessary.
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
Spelling errors are directly related to how little time I have...
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
             ..!bellcore!tness1!/

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (06/19/88)

Hey- AT&T - I've got an idea for you.  Why don't you, instead of rerouting
mail where you don't connect to the next hop (i.e. sending to att!psuhcx!wcf),
dump it!  Return it with an error message - you can't get there from here.
But let mail that's using your site just to pass through -
connectedtoatt!att!connectedtoatt!x!x!...

Just an idea. . .

--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     | "How can we dance
   Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                      |  When the beds are burning"

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (06/19/88)

In article <897@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>In article <875@flatline.UUCP>, I write:
>
>> I thought it worked like this:  Each of us takes on the mail links
>> we can afford.  For the privelege of sending mail through other people's
>> machines, we let them send mail through ours.

[discussion about how much (?) AT&T is spending on long distance, etc]
[[which is an interesting meta-idea in and of itself]]

>I thought most everybody was running pathalias and a mailer that
>used it, making .sig paths unneccessary.
>--
I'd love to be.  But I just plain don't know how!  Have the wonderful
maps, finally figured out how to turn them into files, turn the files
into various maps, but there it comes to a screeching halt.  Somewhere
in the millions of documents out there I bet hides a document on how you
use mailtool on SunOS to use that stuff.  Its gotta be a better way
than using grep to make a pass on the file.....

And now back to your previously scheduled upset :-) about AT&T and
their charges.....

>Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
>Spelling errors are directly related to how little time I have...
>J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
>             ..!bellcore!tness1!/

|      execu!dewey  Dewey Henize @ Execucom Systems Corp 512/346-3008         |
|    You don't think my employer APPROVES of these ideas, do you??  Sheesh!   |

kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (06/24/88)

In article <897@flatline.UUCP>  erict@flatline.UUCP writes:
>I've recieved some mail from AT&T employees concerning how
>much their long distance bill is, and how many people
>put ihnp4 as the start of their UUCP address...  So maybe they are
>a tad justified in turning into a leaf node.
>
>I thought most everybody was running pathalias and a mailer that
>used it, making .sig paths unneccessary.

I wonder if this has occurred to anybody...

My Unix system is near-vanilla SVR2.  Out of the box, the way AT&T
sells it.

The mailer that comes with System V is, well, minimal.  It is
entirely up to the user or an application (like rn or vnews) to
generate paths for mail.  It is, to say the least, difficult for an
inexperienced user, or even an inexperienced sysadmin to get mail
delivered to anywhere more than a few hops away with /bin/mail.
Mailx doesn't help - the version that I have munges bang addresses
and gets completely confused about Internet addresses (At least some
of the bugs are documented in the man page...).

Basically, the setup sucks.

 And I wonder...

           ---------------------------------------
                            Why?
           ---------------------------------------

Why doesn't AT&T include a decent mailer with their operating
system?  And, yes, include news, with LIBDIR/sys preconfigured to
only handle map distribution (after reading the manual, the admin
can figure out how to use the rest).

If they had done so a few years ago, perhaps fewer people would put
{ihnp4, cbosgd, uunet}!... in their signatures, and just put e.g.
kent@happym.uucp instead.

Maybe if AT&T recognized that they are the source of the least
common denominator in Unix, they would recognize that they can make
it work any way that they want.

How many of the little sites out there are 286 or 386 boxes running
SCO Xenix V or Microport SysV?  How many SysV based systems are
there?

And how many, when you paid AT&T for your OS, got a decent mailer,
one that could find a route to another site?

--
	Kent Forschmiedt -- kent@happym.UUCP, tikal!camco!happym!kent
	Happy Man Corporation  206-282-9598

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (06/24/88)

In article <457@happym.UUCP>, kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:
> Why doesn't AT&T include a decent mailer with their operating
> system?  And, yes, include news, with LIBDIR/sys preconfigured to
> only handle map distribution (after reading the manual, the admin
> can figure out how to use the rest).

     Gasp!  AT&T would be out of their minds to try to support
smail or netnews.  The *overwhelming* majority of AT&T's
customers (with the 3B2s, at least) have no interest whatsoever
in netnews or even intermachine email; those living in the
technical and academic worlds have no idea how uninterested most
end-users are in this kind of thing.  They buy their computers to
run payroll or property management or insurance administration.
In addition, most AT&T UNIX machines don't have C compilers.
Really, we are in the minority.

     AT&T has enough trouble helping people plug in their
terminals, much less get netnews going.  Please do not
underestimate the resources required to support any kind of
product (especially netnews).

     I could go on and on about this, but I won't.  AT&T will
never support netnews to their customers.

     Steve

P.S. - this is not a flame, just an observation :-)

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442      3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

Nancy Reagan on the Free Software Foundation : "Just say GNU"

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (06/26/88)

In article <728@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <457@happym.UUCP>, kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:

>     Gasp!  AT&T would be out of their minds to try to support
>smail or netnews.  The *overwhelming* majority of AT&T's
>customers (with the 3B2s, at least) have no interest whatsoever
>in netnews or even intermachine email; those living in the
>technical and academic worlds have no idea how uninterested most
>end-users are in this kind of thing.  They buy their computers to
>run payroll or property management or insurance administration.
>In addition, most AT&T UNIX machines don't have C compilers.
>Really, we are in the minority.

>     I could go on and on about this, but I won't.  AT&T will
>never support netnews to their customers.

Well don't be to sure. SCO offers a News disk. And reputedly have two people
working on bringing up 3.0.

It doesn't come standard, but it's free if you ask for it.

I think the main reason that smail and it's ilk arn't being supported is
just a lack of interest at the time. Remember that the software being
distributed today (ie Sys V/386) was essentially designed and packaged about
two years ago.

It is quite probable that in the future something along the lines of smail
will find it's way into general release. Complications which may help or
hinder this are whether AT&T and other vendors think that they might be able
to sell it - and whether any of the commercial services could be tied into
to do delivery.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

)) (06/27/88)

People might be interested: 386/IX from ISC does include sendmail, smail and
pathalias.  Somewhat out-of-date versions (smail 2.3 last I looked) but
certainly better than nothing.  There are man-pages for them - but the
documentation is a bit scanty on how to use/install them.  Eg: you have to run
"/usr/lib/install.mail" and answer a few questions.  (BTW: if you don't,
mail from your 386 box will not give the originating address to neighbors
properly)

If nothing else you should be able to do some sort of smart-host forwarding.
The man pages do allude to acquiring maps from neighbors.  Would be nice if ISC
include a couple-page document on how to set up e-mail.

No, they don't include netnews.  Just as well - there's enough floppies
in the installation as it is.
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc, Phone: (416)-474-1955
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis