[news.admin] USENET is dead! Long live USENET!

wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/12/88)

>USENET has been mortally wounded with the passing of ihnp4.  From where
>I am sitting the prognosis is not good.

I doubt it. ihnp4 has been flaky and unreliable with mail for some time
now. This is no secret. Its loss will be felt, but hardly fatal. If the
truth be known, it stopped being a truly major news node some time ago.
Today rutgers is on top..
--
Bill Wisner
..!{ames,att,decwrl,ihnp4,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!wisner

egranthm@jackson.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) (06/12/88)

In article <4434@killer.UUCP>, wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
> >USENET has been mortally wounded with the passing of ihnp4.  From where
> >I am sitting the prognosis is not good.
>
> I doubt it. ihnp4 has been flaky and unreliable with mail for some time
> now. This is no secret. Its loss will be felt, but hardly fatal. If the

My question now is, what will happen to mail and news which were supposed
to be routed through ihnp4? Are we about to see a mass of material bouncing
back through the net?

As for its flakiness or non-flakiness, I don't really think that's the
point. Like all human organizations, as they get larger, they are going
to change, in both good and bad ways. The increasing availability of
Unix machines means that volume on the net is going to keep increasing,
and I can only hope that there will be enough people willing to keep
providing the disk space and incurring the phone charges, to keep the
net up. Of course, as erasable CDs and 19.2k modems become more popular,
this may not be such a problem :-)

Ewan Grantham

--
Ewan Grantham    (601) 354-6454 ext.358
{pyramid or bellcore or tness..}!swbatl!jackson!egranthm

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (06/13/88)

>>USENET has been mortally wounded with the passing of ihnp4.  From where
>>I am sitting the prognosis is not good.

>Today rutgers is on top..

A quick peek at the pathalias database on citi.umich.edu shows
paths through ihnp4 for exactly four sites:

	ihnp4	rutgers!moss!ihnp4!%s
	ilunix	rutgers!moss!ihnp4!ilunix!%s
	oberlin	rutgers!moss!ihnp4!oberlin!%s
	ohare	rutgers!moss!ihnp4!ohare!%s

--Ed
Edward Vielmetti, u of michigan.

haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (06/13/88)

In article <4434@killer.UUCP>, wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
> Today rutgers is on top..
> --
> Bill Wisner

Stop it.  Why don't those machines just stop it?

When did rutgers get tired of being on the bottom? ;-)

- John.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                          jfh@rpp386.uucp :SMAILERS

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (06/14/88)

From article <531@mailrus.cc.umich.edu>, by emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti):
>USENET has been mortally wounded with the passing of ihnp4.  From where
>I am sitting the prognosis is not good.

It will make a dent. Remember, ihnp4 pretty well has it's own file in the
map data area (Can't remember the name, but it's a biggie). However the
following typescript says everything that needs to be said regarding the
damage we have brought upon ourselves.

Script started on Mon Jun 13 13:12:28 1988
lakart!dg(mail/waiting)[61]-> grep -c ihnp4 /usr/lib/uucp/uumap/UUPATH
2258
lakart!dg(mail/waiting)[62]-> grep -c -v ihnp4 /usr/lib/uucp/uumap/UUPATH
8552
lakart!dg(mail/waiting)[63]-> wc -l /usr/lib/uucp/uumap/UUPATH
   10810 /usr/lib/uucp/uumap/UUPATH
lakart!dg(mail/waiting)[64]-> ^D
script done on Mon Jun 13 13:13:39 1988

As has been suggested we must reduce bandwidth. Is there no way of
unilaterally ditching any article in an unmoderated group whose size
exceedes a given limit. Or creating "net wide Kill files" - this would
clean up the "HELP ME!!" problem in a real hurry.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!cca!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (06/14/88)

In article <531@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>A quick peek at the pathalias database on citi.umich.edu shows
>paths through ihnp4 for exactly four sites:

i did a quick peek just now to confirm what i mostly already knew anyhow.
of 12,000+ sites, 1,604 are reached by way of ihnp4 from here.  most of
which start with tness7!ihnp4 so obviously ihnp4 is a big site for tness7.

- john.

jerry@oliveb.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (06/16/88)

In article <2714@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>i did a quick peek just now to confirm what i mostly already knew anyhow.
>of 12,000+ sites, 1,604 are reached by way of ihnp4 from here.  most of
>which start with tness7!ihnp4 so obviously ihnp4 is a big site for tness7.

Obviously tness7 is a big site for yours.

I just did a quick peek at d.usa.oh.1 for the map entry for ihnp4.  It
lists a total of 7 sites it connects to!  (Note that this is not the
sites that connect TO ihnp4, just those that ihnp4 publishes it will
forward to.)  Of the 7, 5 are DAILY and 2 are DAILY/4.

I submit that if more than 10% of your paths go thru DAILY or DAILY/4
connections then you or tness7 should seriously consider adding some
links.

simmons@applga.uucp (Steve Simmons) (06/16/88)

Lordy, lordy.  Isn't the the outlying area of alt.flame?

In southeastern Michigan we are taking some steps that a lot of other
folks ought to emulate.  We are rationalizing news and mail.

The sysops of the major local system got together, drew a map, and
have created a southeastern Michigan backbone.  It covers roughly the
southeast quarter of the lower penninsula, and will do wonders for
local distribution when we're done.  Six sites are backbones, all
carrying full feeds, all triply connected.  We have four "outside world"
connections for news, more for mail.  This connection will end the
stupidity of mail from Ann Arbor to Detroit going thru Rutgers and
ihnp4, will reduce almost all sites long distance costs, improve mail
and news delivery, *and reduce the load that southeastern michigan
puts on the rest of usenet*.

So all you folks please stop bitching.  Get out your maps, form local
backbones, and in general clean up your act.  We can do much better
than has been done so far.
--
+- Steve Simmons            UNIX Systems Mgr.         Schlumberger CAD/CAM -+
+  simmons@applga.uucp                              ...umix!applga!simmons  +

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (06/28/88)

> From: simmons@applga.uucp (Steve Simmons)
> Subject: Re: USENET is dead! Long live USENET!

> In southeastern Michigan we are taking some steps that a lot of other
> folks ought to emulate.  We are rationalizing news and mail.

> The sysops of the major local system got together, drew a map, and
> have created a southeastern Michigan backbone.  It covers roughly the
> southeast quarter of the lower penninsula, and will do wonders for
> local distribution when we're done.  Six sites are backbones, all
> carrying full feeds, all triply connected.  We have four "outside world"
> connections for news, more for mail.  This connection will end the
> stupidity of mail from Ann Arbor to Detroit going thru Rutgers and
> ihnp4, will reduce almost all sites long distance costs, improve mail
> and news delivery, *and reduce the load that southeastern michigan
> puts on the rest of usenet*.

Well well... at LAST someone has come up with a rational approach!
Instead of prognosticating the death of Usenet, you self-proclaimed
software wizards should be cleaning up the networking code so that it
accomoodates the loss of such a site.  And you site administrators
should fix YOUR MAILERS so that they GENERATE LEGAL MAIL ADDRESSES.

Perhaps we should move away from dependencies on backbones and design
network software with distributed intelligence and routing information
that would tolerate dynamic shifts in the networks topology.  I've
talked to a number of people with some great ideas on how the network
software should be improved.  Alas... who has the time.

From: mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack)
Subject: Re: The death of USENET

>>The need is to bring USENET volume back down to tolerable levels -- which
>>I'm somewhat arbitrarily building a cutoff level of a megabyte of news a
>>day. About 1/3 of current levels.
>>
>>This is going to be painful. For me, personally, it's especially painful
>>because if you look closely, I've targetted just about every USENET group
>>that means anything to me. But these are not times to be selfish. These are
>>times of survival. Which I hope sinks in around the net. But I doubt it.

>This strikes me as a panic reaction. Why don't we wait and see what impact
>the disappearance of ihnp4 actually has?

Chuq makes a good point by claiming that these are times for survival
and not selfishness.  Sometimes you have to amputate to save a life.
However, I think that removing soc.all, talk.all, etc.all is a much
too reactionary measure.  Rather, site administrators should begin to
take more local responsibility and the network software should be
improved to accomodate the network's growing needs.

Much of the noise in the rec, binary and talk groups can be eliminated
by expiring these groups quickly or rejecting them from your site
entirely in your sys files.  My site does this because I don't
tolerate flame-fests.  And since there are too many viruses rampant in
the world, we don't keep a lot of the binary groups around either.

Given this... one can restrict entire groups as Chuq suggests without
hacking the net code and explicitly tearing out the rec and soc
groups.

The prediliction towards deleting the comp, soc and rec groups comes
from the fact that most of us sponge off of our employers or
Universities for access and what employer wants to pay for these noisy
groups?  With only technical groups though, Usenet would no longer
appeal to as wide a range of users.  It would no longer be a Use-net.

>Chuq's approach to the survival of the net represents an attitude which
>I think is far too prevalent. "The net is strained: we have to reduce
>the amount of inessential information." Why not try to *improve* the
>system instead of accepting its deficiencies? C news is a step in this
>direction: let's get a beta version of it out. (Henry? Geoff? Help!)

I agree.  Instead of tearing down the net to accomodate the software,
we should start thinking about the design of that software and why it
can't accomodate the complexity of the network.   Remember that there
are both social and technical complexities involved.

>Maybe it's time for people who care about the net, the *whole* net
>and not just the technical groups, to get together and try to solve
>some of these problems.

I'm afraid people would rather flame about JJ.

From: russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence)
Subject: Re: The death of USENET -- Appropriate Medicine

> Some of these arguments may well be valid, but nevertheless, we'll need
>  to remind ourselves of Chuq's warning that the usenet can't be all
> things to all people.  Usenet is not the Universe.  It is, however, a
> wonderful place to exchange ideas about unix.

Only Unix?  I don't think so.

> Perhaps the sites where net connections are in jeopardy could be
> persuaded to drop non-comp groups as an alternative to dropping out
> altogether.

Right.  Don't force all of us to adopt the all or nothing alternative.

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

"Hi... My name is Hobbes.  I'm the product of a malicious 5-year old's
twisted and destructive imagination.  Would YOU like to be my friend?"