[news.admin] To much for the reader?

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/30/88)

In article <385@teletron.UUCP>, andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:
> It's not just a matter of computing horsepower as to why I think we should
> attempt to cut volume, although it is an important factor for many sites.
> The net is just too big to handle as a *reader*.
>  You are correct in saying that the S/N ratio is about the same as it was two
> years ago, but the doubling of net bandwidth in that time means that twice
> as much N has to be waded through to get to the S.  I simply don't have the
> time to read as much as I would like.

You know, I was down at the Library Of Congress the other day and noticed
that they had more books than I could read in a lifetime (even if I
stopped reading the net).  They have just gotten way too big to handle
as a *reader*.  Why just to read thru their entire card catalog is a
major undertaking.  I think it is about time we make it illegal to write
books -- and at the very least we should stop wasting tax money on the
collection of books that so few people will ever have a chance to
actually read.  Note also that these books are hardcopy, so they are
many times harder to search than net messages.  Reading your note, I
can see that I can count on your support in this endeavor.  Welcome aboard.

--- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/30/88)

In article <Jun.29.13.41.34.1988.18001@porthos.rutgers.edu> webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
>In article <385@teletron.UUCP>, andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:
AS [...]
BW You know, I was down at the Library Of Congress the other day and noticed
BW that they had more books than I could read in a lifetime (even if I

Excuse me, what does this have to do with news administration?  I _do_
mean to be curt, I thought that was what this group was for.  Perhaps
there are other groups better suited to visitng?  You betcha, I have
been nailed for posting here when it was only casually related to news
administration.  Thought I'd share the concern since the article seems
less than casually related.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill