[news.admin] Mahjongg tile 'source' posting necessity

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (07/02/88)

In article <708@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> msf@prandtl (Michael S. Fischbein) writes:
>I just wanted to remind a few of the people carrying on about the mahjongg
>posting about WHY the source to the tiles was posted, to prevent irrelevant
>(to the mahjongg posting) disputes like this:

>[it was to prove that the .o file contained no viruses]

Well, please don't be *too* defensive about it. But I guarantee that there
were plenty of better ways to prove it. I suggested a simple one in an
earlier article:

Post the graphic data in uuencoded binary form. Also post source code for
a program that will decode the data. Or simply post information about the
binary data format.

It would also be relatively easy to show that a data-only .o file contains
no linkable subroutines. Wouldn't the nm command be enough? This is silly!

If we of the net are reduced to posting megabytes of 'source' code in order
to prove that 66K of binary bitmap data is not a virus.... well, we are in
worse shape than I thought. In my opinion, rather than acceding to the
wishes of the people who complained to you, it would have been better to
ask the complainers to come up with a better way of proving your good
intentions.

What's done is done, and isn't worth crying about. I sure hope the lesson
is learned by others!

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014