[news.admin] A Reason: field?

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (07/02/88)

In article <114@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> In article <Jun.29.13.41.34.1988.18001@porthos.rutgers.edu> webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
> >In article <385@teletron.UUCP>, andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:
> AS [...]
> BW You know, I was down at the Library Of Congress the other day and noticed
> BW that they had more books than I could read in a lifetime (even if I
>
> Excuse me, what does this have to do with news administration?

 1) It was in reply to the main point of a message that was posted in
    news.admin which in turn was part of the central thrust of a rather
    long conversation that resided within news.admin.  So, the first thing
    to observe is that there is nothing out of the ordinary about the
    posting -- although I would be the last one to say that common-ness
    implied unobjectionable.

 2) Usenet news groups are not library classifications -- they are online
    clubs.  Most of the conversation at a chess club might be about
    chess, but you can bet that if someone heard something interesting
    in the news that day, it too will get aired.  Certainly meta-issues
    such as whether the FIDE is really run by the russians will also be
    discussed even if they have very little to do with improving one's
    game.  This is called socializing.  It is something people do.  It
    happens everywhere on the net.  It is what holds the net together.

 3) And then of course, there is #3.  Why did you post a message asking
    me why I posted my message?

PROPOSAL:  Well, since everybody wants to change Usenet, here is one more
           shot: require every message to have a REASON: field.  If a
           message comes thru without a REASON: field, it gets dropped
           because it was posted without a reason.  Have the first
           thing any of the news posting software does is ask why
           you want to post a message.

---- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

REASON:  Some postings have reasons about which reason knows not.