[news.admin] [Status] Re: sendsys

Bob.Webber@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (06/30/88)

In article <171@lakart.UUCP>, dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
> I think the results of the sendsys at lakart tend to suggest that Mr.
> Webber was not responsible. ...
> Now if only the sendsys requests were still around, I could look at
> them and start figuring where they did come from.

Yes, it is now clear that it was not me who sent out the message.  I
am told that the messages were actually fed in at the rutgers gateway
itself via the joys of Eric Fair's nntp.  The 11 megabytes of email
this generated for non-rutgers sites (roughly 4 megabytes of sendsys
turned into 7 megabytes of sendsys plus address update message -- said
7 megabytes being sent back to the original send plus an additional
7 megabytes internally forwarded from rutgers to me on the
aramis/athos/porthos complex) plus whatever messages got lost in the
ether were apparently a ``prank.'' Boys will be boys and all that.
Apparently the backbone takes care of its own.

---- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/30/88)

In article <Jun.30.03.45.06.1988.23248@aramis.rutgers.edu> Bob.Webber@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU writes:
>Yes, it is now clear that it was not me who sent out the message.  I
>am told that the messages were actually fed in at the rutgers gateway
>itself via the joys of Eric Fair's nntp.

er..  NNTP isn't *just* Erik's ... it's a group project of those
California guys.

It would have been just as trivial to generate those sendsys messages
without NNTP -- MORE trivial even, because wouldn't have to learn
the NNTP protocol.  Something like "uux - rutgers!rnews" would work
for one of the many neighbors of rutgers.  Something like "inews -h"
would have worked for someone ON rutgers.  So what's the point?  Why
imply that NNTP is evil because it allows such things?

>Apparently the backbone takes care of its own.

Would you care to explain this?

It's probably true to some extent -- in every social grouping there
is a certain amount of "us" versus "them" that results in people within
the group "taking care of their own".  But what does that have to do
with this case?  The messages could have been made by ANYBODY on the
internet -- well, that depends on the Mel's configuration file -- who
knows enough about the protocols to make the posting.  That lets me
out anyway cause I don't know NNTP, we just use it 24 hrs per day
is all. :-)
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (07/02/88)

<
< It would have been just as trivial to generate those sendsys messages
< without NNTP -- MORE trivial even, because wouldn't have to learn
< the NNTP protocol.  ...
< would have worked for someone ON rutgers.  So what's the point?  Why
< imply that NNTP is evil because it allows such things?

At a networked site like rutgers, berkeley, etc., it is alot easier to
hack something like nntp than it is to get modem access.  Such sites are
also more likely to have people interested in fiddling with the system
a little bit.  Anyway, there was no BIG point here, I was just mentioning
that nntp was apparently how rutgers was hacked this time -- the sysadmin
for rutgers told me this, it is not idle speculation as to how it was done.
NNTP has had a number of very bad effects on the net, but its security is
the most minor of them.

< <Apparently the backbone takes care of its own.
<
< Would you care to explain this?
<...
< with this case?  The messages could have been made by ANYBODY on the
< internet -- well, that depends on the Mel's configuration file -- who
< knows enough about the protocols to make the posting.

While it could have been made by ANYBODY, it was actually done by
specific people.  That person is known to the sysadmin of rutgers --
as well as a number of others.  These people are participating in the
act after the fact by shielding the person responsible from the public
response they deserve.  ANY QUESTIONS?

-- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)