[news.admin] Development tools and binary usefulness

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (07/15/88)

In article <1095@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>Gimme a break.  You can afford to spend 1000 bucks on a computer and can't
>afford 60 bucks for a compiler?

Of course. But not all useful stuff can be distributed as Turbo C source code
alone.

Perhaps because of the widespread proliferation of PC's (and PC developers)
[I think the order of magnitude is something like 1000 PC's for each Unix
box; certainly much more than 100:1]... there are a zillion different tools
used for developing useful stuff on PC's, all for various good reasons.

It would cost a small fortune, and be silly to boot, to require all
net-readers in such an environment to maintain a copy of all of the useful
development tools needed to recreate all of the useful utilities out there.

Just a few examples: the recent keyboard-remapping TSR programs (*tiny*
things) were written in Forth. I don't have Forth, never want to have it.
The posted binary utility programs are *real* handy though. Many PC-based
programs are linked using PLink [an overlay linking loader that works]. Few
programmers have PLink. dBase files are the database standard on PC's,
not dbm. Thus, a useful data oriented program might be written in the dBase
language. If compiled by the author with a dBase compiler, the resulting
binary could be used by everyone, whether or not they have a copy of dBase
or a clone. I could go on and on.

My point: Being a PC programmer is different from being a Unix programmer in
many ways. Please don't cast PC programmers in a mold based on your non-PC
experience and preconceived notions. I happen to be both a Unix and PC
programmer (doing both heavily), thus I am (hopefully) able to see both
sides of the fence a little better than some.

>[further comments about source being better than binaries]

There is no question [in my mind] that source code is better than binary
code for revealing algorithms used [for educational and malicous-avoidance
purposes]. Source code can also be ported and improved by the recipient.
Binary code also has its advantages, as pointed out in other articles
[a few: reliable operation due to independance from recipient's tools;
author's control over quality of porting, 'improvements' and other maintenance
issus; ability for author to use specialized tools in creating the program;
ability to eliminate malicious 'improved' versions; educational value of
user interface and implementation in proprietary code-- you may not mind
letting me see exactly *how* your $5000 CAD program works, even though you
would never give me source code--]. The key is that *both* methods of
distribution are valuable.

Ideally, I'd like to see most PC postings in binary AND source form.
If some authors want to only distribute their code in binary form though,
I can go along without trouble.

Pete

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014