[news.admin] Serious factor of High Schools

allen@sulaco.UUCP (Allen Gwinn) (07/28/88)

In article <25268@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, robinson@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Michael Robinson) writes:
> In article <551@mcl.UUCP> stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) writes:
> >That last sentence
> >goes against every thing my english teachers ever tried to teach me.

> Maybe that's what is wrong with this country.  Too many people take what
> they learned in high school too seriously.  It impedes progress and encourages
> misconceptions.  Especially considering the quality of U.S. high schools.

In noticed that you appear to be studying education at UC-Berkeley.  What
are you studying in this line of education for if you feel the way you
do?  What do you expect to do to rectify this situation after graduation?
--
Allen Gwinn     ...sulaco!allen   allen@sulaco.UUCP
Disclaimer: I speak for myself only (thanks Oleg)

robinson@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Michael Robinson) (08/01/88)

In article <176@sulaco.UUCP> allen@sulaco.UUCP (Allen Gwinn) writes:
>In article <25268@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, robinson@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Michael Robinson) writes:
>
>> Maybe that's what is wrong with this country.  Too many people take what
>> they learned in high school too seriously.  It impedes progress and encourages
>> misconceptions.  Especially considering the quality of U.S. high schools.
>
>In noticed that you appear to be studying education at UC-Berkeley.  What
>are you studying in this line of education for if you feel the way you
>do?  What do you expect to do to rectify this situation after graduation?

I am not an educator in training.  I am a system administrator.  Without a
college degree, I make more money per hour administering Unix systems than
an elementary school teacher makes with a degree, accreditation, and 10 years
teaching experience.

Personally, I think educating children is of greater value to society than
patching kernals, but that isn't the way the paychecks are distributed.  And
even competent and dedicated people have to eat.

Michael Robinson                              USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu