[news.admin] What is news.admin?

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (07/28/88)

This newsgroup is news.admin.  It is supposed to be about the administration
of Usenet news.  I would like to propose a change in the description of this
newsgroup in the LIBDIR/newsgroups file.  It currently reads:

news.admin		Comments directed to news administrators.

This leaves us all open to abuse, both general and personal, by random
persons with random gripes and grudges.

I'd prefer it if this group's description read

news.admin		Discussions among news administrators (moderated).

Look.  This newsgroup has been almost completely subverted in recent weeks,
lowering its signal-to-noise ratio to the point where any useful postings
are likely to be lost in the shuffle.

We news admins need a newsgroup in which to exchange information without
constant harangues by various unbalanced individuals and the torrents of
flames which always follow.

Anyone for moderation?  I am not proposing censorship, just filtering.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

len@netsys.UUCP (Len Rose) (07/28/88)

 I agree that the description might be changed,but moderation
might make this group more unwieldy for discussion. Just because
it likes to throw a wrench into a newsgroup does not mean we have
to succumb to it's attack. As several people have suggested, simply
ignore postings from it (can you say kill file?) and continue about
our business.It likes to antagonize people,and like a succubus seems
to feed off the ensuing outpouring of emotion (hate,disgust,etc).

 Just an observation.

--
Len Rose - Netsys,Inc.
len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or len@netsys (soon to be netsys.COM)

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (07/29/88)

>Anyone for moderation?  I am not proposing censorship, just filtering.
>--
>Bob Weissman

YES.  100 percent, YES.

I'd like to draft Bill Wisner as moderator.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (08/02/88)

>Anyone for moderation?  I am not proposing censorship, just filtering.
>--
>Bob Weissman

Yes.  I think that a great deal of the discussion in this group
belongs elsewhere.  Probably an elsewhere under talk.  A moderator
can gently clean up some of the chaff.
--
  kent@happym.UUCP, tikal!camco!happym!kent, Happy Man Corp. USA 206-282-9598

john@jetson.UUCP (John Owens) (08/04/88)

In article <477@happym.UUCP>, kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:
> Yes.  I think that a great deal of the discussion in this group
> belongs elsewhere.  Probably an elsewhere under talk.  A moderator
> can gently clean up some of the chaff.

YES!  How about one of

news.talk	General chatter about USENET.
talk.new	General chatter about USENET.

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

jim@helios.cs.odu.edu (Jim Duncan) (08/05/88)

In article <87@jetson.UUCP> john@jetson.UUCP (John Owens) writes:
>In article <477@happym.UUCP>, kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:
>> Yes.  I think that a great deal of the discussion in this group
>> belongs elsewhere.  Probably an elsewhere under talk.  A moderator
>> can gently clean up some of the chaff.
>
>YES!  How about one of
>
>news.talk	General chatter about USENET.
>talk.new	General chatter about USENET.

No!  Instead, I propose

dot.dot		a new top level whose name conveys the general content:
		postings which seem to go on and on, causing much file space
		to be consumed by kill files...

 Jim Duncan, Computer Science Dept, Old Dominion Univ, Norfolk VA 23529-0162
       (804)440-3915     INET: jim@cs.odu.edu    UUCP: ..!uunet!xanth!jim
	    "This could be good or bad."  Who said it?  Which RFC?