[news.admin] AT&T map entry

wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) (08/03/88)

Is it really necessary to list 1,700 internal at&t sites in att's map
entry?  I figured I should check for paths going through att so nobody's
mail gets discarded, and I came up with over 2,000... so I added -datt to
the pathalias command line, and still came up with over 1,700... looked
at them all and they all (seemed to be) at&t internal sites.  Now, can't
you just say
att	.att.com
and then let internal sites be addressed as xxx.att.com?  It would make
it a lot easier to check for paths that are going through att that shouldn't
be, and would make the paths file all that much smaller.

 Just my 2 cents..
     Bill

P.S. sorry for posting this in news.admin, I know it has nothing to do with
MES... :-)

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (08/04/88)

In article <313@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) writes:
>Now, can't you just say
>att	.att.com
>and then let internal sites be addressed as xxx.att.com?  It would make
>it a lot easier to check for paths that are going through att that shouldn't
>be, and would make the paths file all that much smaller.

The trouble is the System V mailers don't grok domain addresses. If AT&T
was to do this, they would have to run software from the GNU project :-)

--
VE6BBM   {alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (08/05/88)

In article <10368@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
|In article <313@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) writes:
|>Now, can't you just say
|>att	.att.com
|>and then let internal sites be addressed as xxx.att.com?  It would make
|>it a lot easier to check for paths that are going through att that shouldn't
|>be, and would make the paths file all that much smaller.
|
|The trouble is the System V mailers don't grok domain addresses. If AT&T
|was to do this, they would have to run software from the GNU project :-)

If att is running sendmail (I suppose that's a silly thought?) it wouldn't
be too hard to create another mailer, say 'attuucp', which can strip all
of the .att.com 's out of the headers to hand to the internal site, and
then add them back when going out...

  Bill

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/06/88)

In article <313@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) writes:
>Now, can't you just say
>att	.att.com
>and then let internal sites be addressed as xxx.att.com?

Since we've got a DIRECT connection across town to an att, osu-cis's
`paths' file already says
	.att.com	att!%s
They handle everything internal to ATT for us.

In article <10368@ncc.Nexus.CA> lyndon@ncc.nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>The trouble is the System V mailers don't grok domain addresses. If AT&T
>was to do this, they would have to run software from the GNU project :-)

Not hardly.  Not that your suggestion would be all bad, but at least
some ATT sites already do domains correctly:
Others, though, require users to do something like
	arpa!host.dom.ain!user
to get out into the internetworking world.  It's a big organization -
please don't consider it monolithic.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!bob

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (William C. Fenner) (08/08/88)

In article <19426@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
|In article <313@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) writes:
|>Now, can't you just say
|>att	.att.com
|>and then let internal sites be addressed as xxx.att.com?
|
|Since we've got a DIRECT connection across town to an att, osu-cis's
|`paths' file already says
|	.att.com	att!%s
So does ours.  Unfortunately, it also seems to have over a thousand individual
internal att sites with the path psuvax1!aecom!att!site.  What I'm complaining
about is these thousand sites.

  Bill

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (08/08/88)

In article <10368@ncc.Nexus.CA>, lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) replies:
> The trouble is the System V mailers don't grok domain addresses. If AT&T
> was to do this, they would have to run software from the GNU project :-)

Right, but `smail' does understand domain names.  Anybody who has a
purely UUCP System V installation and doesn't use smail is lacking some
smarts.  It is very easy to get - it's distributed in comp.sources.unix
fairly often.  Smail is one of the few PD unix tools I've found that
solves more problems than it creates.  Now if we could just get the map
to be a little more realistic.

While we're on the subject, is site tut.cis.ohio.edu passing ANY mail to
ANY other sites at all?  Everything I've sent through them lately has
bounced, to the point where I re-ran pathalias with tut marked as
'dead.'

	Wes Peters
	System baby-sitter for `Obie'
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (08/11/88)

wes@obie.UUCP writes:
   While we're on the subject, is site tut.cis.ohio.edu passing ANY mail to
   ANY other sites at all?  Everything I've sent through them lately has
   bounced, to the point where I re-ran pathalias with tut marked as
   'dead.'

The machine tut.cis.ohio-state.edu has never performed UUCP mail
pass-through.  It has only one UUCP neighbor, osu-cis, about six feet
away in the next cabinet with a cable between them.

osu-cis, in turn, has relatively few UUCP neighbors, the primary
non-local ones being pyramid and killer.  We also speak to AT&T, as
one might guess, but since that's not useful for pass-through any
longer, we are marking it (DEAD), or, as Tim Thompson recommended to
us today, with the <att>(DEMAND) syntax, which defines the link as
terminal.

If the reason this concerns you is because you find that a lot of
!-path routed mail gets aimed through Tut and fails, I'm well aware of
it - I see a couple of them every day.  But such things are invariably
due to replies generated to the Path: header of news articles, and
such paths simply don't work - they hit Tut requesting UUCP transfer
to some site with which we connect solely via NNTP, and they will at
best get rerouted via, say, Rutgers.  If they work, you got lucky.  If
they don't, they bounce.  Don't generate replies to Path:.

I have no idea why Tut shows up in pathalias output anyway; our map
entry doesn't even list Tut except as a neighbor of osu-cis, cost
value LOCAL, and in the #U line.

--Karl