[news.admin] Default Distribution Proposal

jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick) (07/23/88)

From article <547@etive.ed.ac.uk>, by news@etive.ed.ac.uk (Network News):
> Perhaps the default distribution for create messages should be
> "local"? This seems to be a common problem. Been bit by it myself.

I would like to expand this a "little".  The default distribution for *any*
(I repeat: ANY) news posting should be "local"!
                                        ^^^^^

Why, you ask?

It will help prevent neophytes from embarassing themselves and annoying other
sites with "Dinette set for Sale" messages from AT&T (used to be New Jersey,
now Denver seems to have taken the lead).  This may "encourage" users to
"learn" about the news software.  (Or at least make them learn about it
*before* they become net.pests. :-) )

It may also help reduce the number and amount of "followups" that have added
to the current "flame war" currently raging in news.admin, among other places.
(If we assume that most "followupers" followup in the "heat of the moment",
they *may* just forget to change the Distribution: line.  This is a "win" for
the net.)

It seems to me that this is the polite and reasonable *default*, as it will
affect the smallest number of sites and individuals.

Surely you can think of other good reasons.

So ---  Is this something that can be added to the current (2.11) news
software easily?  Yet another patch file for news 2.11 is not unreasonable.
I can even see this as a site configuration option -- but would still lobby
for the *default* configuration being "local" distribution.

I would also like to see the other news developers out there (3.0?  NNTP?
"C"-news?) implement this.

[No flames or even "discussion" about how it won't work because of all the
people who don't/won't upgrade.  Not germane to my point.  If the software
is available, *some* sites will use it.  It *will* spread, albeit slowly.
That in itself would satisfy my request.]

Thank you.
--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (07/25/88)

For a long time it has been possible to have a default distribution
other than "world"

In the distributions file, make the first line be:
	default		whatever

Where "whatever" is local or ba or na or usa or whatever you want the
default distribution to be.

The default distribution is only used if the posted does not
explicitly specify a distribution

In article <6260@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:
>I would like to expand this a "little".  The default distribution for *any*
>(I repeat: ANY) news posting should be "local"!  ...
>I can even see this as a site configuration option -- but would still lobby
>for the *default* configuration being "local" distribution.

Trouble is, most everybody will configure it the other way then.  It's
pointless to propose things that would help keep trash under control at
the cost of making life harder for people who know what they're doing;
such an idea either won't be implemented or will be bypassed automatically.
You might possibly make it work if it were a per-*user* setting rather than
a per-*site* setting.
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (07/30/88)

From article <1988Jul26.232430.1599@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
> In article <6260@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:
>>I would like to expand this a "little".  The default distribution for *any*
>>(I repeat: ANY) news posting should be "local"!  ...
>>I can even see this as a site configuration option -- but would still lobby
>>for the *default* configuration being "local" distribution.
>
> Trouble is, most everybody will configure it the other way then.  It's
> pointless to propose things that would help keep trash under control at
> the cost of making life harder for people who know what they're doing;
> such an idea either won't be implemented or will be bypassed automatically.
> You might possibly make it work if it were a per-*user* setting rather than
> a per-*site* setting.
I don't see the problem with a user overridable default local-dist setting
and how this makes life harder for someone like me who (usually) knows
what he's doing.

Henry, you folks up in the great white north don't (or do you ;-) know
how dumb us americans are when it comes to geography. Ted Koppel of ABC
news on Nightline the other night surveyed the public, and found that
only something like 20% of the people aged 18-25 could identify the
capitol of the united states, and only 5% knew the US was not a member
of the warsaw pact.

Anyhow, it would be nice if the folks here when posting news could just
press return and post locally, unless they know enough to hit a few
more keystrokes. I think this applies to other sites as well, but if
not we'll probably do this to our users.

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: Box 413 EMS E380, Milw WI 53201

shore@ncifcrf.gov (Melinda Shore) (07/30/88)

In article <6333@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>From article <1988Jul26.232430.1599@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
>> Trouble is, most everybody will configure it the other way then.  It's
>> pointless to propose things that would help keep trash under control at
>> the cost of making life harder for people who know what they're doing;
>> such an idea either won't be implemented or will be bypassed automatically.
>Anyhow, it would be nice if the folks here when posting news could just
>press return and post locally, unless they know enough to hit a few
>more keystrokes.

I dunno.  When there was debate about whether or not postings should
bounce if more than 50% of the lines were included material, people
objected claiming that users would use several obvious workarounds to
avoid the restriction.  My feeling was that the inconvenience of typing
a few extra keystrokes would discourage users from using the
workarounds.  I was wrong.  Not only have rn users taken to using the
-F switch to set the line prefix for quotes, they've gotten into the
habit of adding fodder lines to the body of the text *whether they need
to or not*.

Let us not underestimate our users or ourselves.  While I like the idea
of a default distribution in principle, experience shows that adding
features to encourage righteous behavior gives us all one more thing to
tweak, break, and ignore.
--
Melinda Shore                                    shore@ncifcrf.gov
NCI Supercomputer Facility              ..!uunet!ncifcrf.gov!shore

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/31/88)

In article <539@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> shore@ncifcrf.gov (Melinda Shore) writes:
>                        My feeling was that the inconvenience of typing
>a few extra keystrokes would discourage users from using the
>workarounds.  I was wrong.  Not only have rn users taken to using the
>-F switch to set the line prefix for quotes, they've gotten into the
>habit of adding fodder lines to the body of the text *whether they need
>to or not*.

>Let us not underestimate our users or ourselves.  While I like the idea
>of a default distribution in principle, experience shows that adding
>features to encourage righteous behavior gives us all one more thing to
>tweak, break, and ignore.

I don't think the two directly equate. Line inclusion is an all or
nothing proposition - either the article goes or it doesn't.

By setting a restricted default distribution (say local), it's
just as much work to change it to usa as it is to change it to
world. I would think that in most cases, because the poster has
to expend a *bit* of thought choosing the distribution, they
will choose something reasonable.

--
VE6BBM   {alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

rroot@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (08/02/88)

From article <10360@ncc.Nexus.CA>, by lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg):
> In article <539@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> shore@ncifcrf.gov (Melinda Shore) writes:
>>                        My feeling was that the inconvenience of typing
>>a few extra keystrokes would discourage users from using the

>>Let us not underestimate our users or ourselves.  While I like the idea
>>tweak, break, and ignore.

> world. I would think that in most cases, because the poster has
> to expend a *bit* of thought choosing the distribution, they
> will choose something reasonable.

As an absolute worst case, it is little worse than it the current state.
as a best case, it will keep things like 'Atari ST 512K for sale' localized
to a more reasonable grouping.

 One minus though: people might take to specifying USA instead of NA and freeze
Canadiens out of reasonable discussions... (then again, we probably wouldn't
have seen this MES junk, either...)
--
-------------
 Stephen Samuel

In article <6333@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>>>...The default distribution for *any* ... news posting should be "local"!
>>>I can even see this as a site configuration option -- but would still lobby
>>>for the *default* configuration being "local" distribution.
>>
>> Trouble is, most everybody will configure it the other way then...
>I don't see the problem with a user overridable default local-dist setting
>and how this makes life harder for someone like me who (usually) knows
>what he's doing.

The problem is that people do not like needing extra keystrokes to override
defaults.  The result will be that the software will be configured, or
hacked, so that local-dist is *not* the default.  Maybe you wouldn't do
this, but others would.
--

jep@tlxprs.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski) (08/11/88)

In article <4741@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:

>different suggestion - how about a new feature where each group
>(possibly, maybe entire hierarchies instead?) has a default
>distribution.  thus, we could have a new file, which would includes
>lines of the form
>
>newgroup-pattern:distribution
>
>so that each newsgroup would then have a default distribution.

I personally think that this is an excellent idea. Maybe the news hackers can
hack up a new patch for this feature.

For things like "For Sale" I think that a default distribution as 'jfh'
suggested for the current state would be a good idea unless it was known that
somewhere else, there may be an interested party.

-Jo Poplawski

...!princeton!telesci!fantasci!jep

Disclaimer: but that is only my $0.02 worth...