[news.admin] New user education

hal@ugacs.UUCP (Hal N. Brooks) (08/26/88)

AN IMPORTANT POINT:
When rn is invoked and can't find a .newsrc file, then the newsetup shell
script is invoked.  Newsetup should be giving a short message, just before
it exits, saying where new users can get information.  I'LL BET MONEY, but
very little :-), THAT A LOT OF SITES' NEWSETUP SCRIPTS STILL DIRECT NEW
USERS TO THE DEFUNCT MOD.ANNOUNCE.NEWUSER GROUP.  This should be checked
by all news administrators, and local information (e.g., where to go for
advice locally) might well be included in that message.

And another thing.  Down here in Georgia, we call the group under discussion
news.announce.newusers, not news.announce.newuser.  Maybe that's why everybody
else's is empty.  :-0   Or maybe it's just a matter of regional accents.  *8-)

In article <2457@inco.UUCP> mack@inco.uu.net (Dave Mack) writes:

>NO! Until we have a better system for educating new users,
>n.a.n is the only mechanism for training them ...

Agreed.  Please don't give up on n.a.n., spaf.

>I agree with Allison and weemba: there should be an automated
>(dare I say enforced?) mechanism for training the newbies. It
>should be built into the newsreaders.

Don't try to enforce this!  First, there are too many newsreaders out
there that will never get the modifications anyway.  Second, if I
install news on a new machine I don't want to sit through an hour's worth
newbie initiation (though it would probably do me good).  Perhaps
vnews and other newsreaders could just do something similar to what
rn does (see important point, above).

>Is there any point in doing this? Is the idea worthwhile?

NO!

>Am I completely insane?

I doubt it, but I'm not really qualified to say.  Maybe you should
see a trained professional.  :-)

-hal  {gatech!}ugacs!hal