[news.admin] Is it time for sci.physics.only?

andy@cayuga.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) (08/26/88)

In article <134@laffu.UUCP> chuck@laffu.UUCP (Chuck Sites) writes:
>NO. The consiquneces of the technology we develope will always have
>political overtones which should be debated and are being debated
>(All thanks to you)

Fine, most people seem to feel that sci.physics should carry physics
politics as well as physics.

Is there interest in sci.physics.only "for the rest of us"?

Yes, it's an evil plot.  I want a group for physics, not physics
politics.  I get my political discussions elsewhere.

-andy
UUCP:  {arpa gateways, decwrl, uunet, rutgers}!polya.stanford.edu!andy
ARPA:  andy@polya.stanford.edu
(415) 329-1718/723-3088 home/cubicle

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (08/26/88)

In article <3732@polya.Stanford.EDU> andy@cayuga.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) writes:
>Fine, most people seem to feel that sci.physics should carry physics
>politics as well as physics.
>
>Is there interest in sci.physics.only "for the rest of us"?

  Past experience has shown that this DOESN'T WORK. We've tried it a number
of times, with net.women.only (the failure of which was directly responsible
for the start of the very successful feminist mailing list) and
net.astro.expert. In the more modern era, we have comp.unix.wizards vs.
comp.unix.questions (the latter was supposed to keep the novices out of the
former). In every case it has not worked. Please DON'T create another new
newsgroup that has virtually zero chance of accomplishing its intended purpose.

--Greg

obrien@anpiel.aero.org (Mike O'Brien) (08/27/88)

In article <641@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <3732@polya.Stanford.EDU> andy@cayuga.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) writes:
>>Is there interest in sci.physics.only "for the rest of us"?
>
>  Past experience has shown that this DOESN'T WORK. We've tried it a number
>of times, with net.women.only (the failure of which was directly responsible
>for the start of the very successful feminist mailing list)

And there's the right answer.  Why don't those who want a more pure
discussion of physics form a mailing list?  I don't know of any case
where that solution, once implemented, hasn't worked to perfection.
--
Mike O'Brien
obrien@aerospace.aero.org

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (08/27/88)

Actually, alt.individualism has mostly worked as an example of a group meant
to confine a discussion.  At the start there was a bit of silliness, and
there were "individualism is wrong." postings, but now it seems to be
limited to cross-postings from talk.politics.theory and so on.

But most such attempts have failed, that's true.  But it could be done
with the right structure.

As far as sci.physics is concerned, I don't think very many people really
think politics has nothing to do with physics.  They simply want to
discuss physics.  Not surprising since political discussion on the net
rarely gets anywhere.

An I think it would also be nicer if "What's New" simply had the courtesy
to bill itself as a newsletter about the government funding of science done
by the USA, and not as "What's New from the APS."
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

tdsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu ( Todd/Dr. Nethack ) (08/29/88)

The idea that some people can invade any group deciding that knee-jerk politics
is the cheif subject of that group, is stupidity.

group to discuss the two.

Sci.physics already exists for the discussion of physics.. politics can be
used to invade any group with the concept that it is (of course) part of
the whole picture..

So is religion, and philosophy, and psychology, and behavioralism..

Do we make all groups to include this type of invasion?  Only to a degree of
reason.

Unfortunately, there are those who would prefer to psuedo-reason about meta-
logical political viewpoints, than to discuss physics.

I for one would prefer to discuss physics in sci.physics.

--
"Of course they'll give you an account... You know Weemba!!"
                                                              --Cliff

jhgr@ziebmef.uucp (James HG Redekop) (08/31/88)

  Though I'm quite new to the net, and am not familiar with it to any great
extent, it DOES seem odd to me that of the 5 new messages in sci.physics,
4 of them only mentioned physics, and but one had anything to do with
physics as physics...

  Perhaps, if sci.physics.only is not viable, sci.physics.politics would work?

    )O+

chuck@laffu.UUCP (Chuck Sites) (09/03/88)

    I admit it. I was one of those originators (posters) which caused
this debate regarding politics in sci.physics.  Basically, the issue
was initially SDI but it has degraded to a much less nobel debate,
and as such, followers of the debate will have noticed that, I haven't
followed up to the issue, and flames. (which would be the normal knee
jerk reaction of any sane person) In other words, I'm with you guy's
that beleive sci.physics should be sci.physics.  But as I said about
a week back thier are issues in science which are political in nature
that should be debated...

   Whatever, there have been some posting regarding creation of a new
group in 'sci' section.   To be quite honest, the best I've heard so far
is 'sci.policies'.  Think about it.  When a select few of us debate whether
SDI is feasable in the sci.physics section, really we're arguing here is
because the source of the science which makes this possible is physics.
But really, the issue is one of goverment policy which relies on science
to produce it's results.  So who ever sugjested 'sci.policies', right on!
--
  +-------+
 /|CHUCK /|   UUCP: mit-eddie|bloom-beacon|coplex|chuck
+-------+