[news.admin] On Ole and Professionalism

Wasser@cup.portal.com (09/08/88)

In article <6307@gryphon.CTS.COM>, oleg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Oleg Kiselev) says:

>It appears that the ages of PORTAL users run well below the average of the
>NET (whatever that may be).  A "Hijacker@PORTAL" alleges that he was one of
>the original PORTAL users and he is 14.  If the same kind of clientelle are
>the majority at other "rent-the-NET" sites, we have a problem of the formerly
>adult professional and academia forum turning into a giant "neighbourhood BBS
 ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
Whoa.  Hold it.  Stop.  That's pure nonsense, Oleg.  Considering the
newsgroup where the above-mentioned article was posted, I'd have a
hard time buying the "invasion of the 'adult professional and academia
forum'" story.  Now if hijacker had disrupted sci.physics or comp.whatever,
then you MIGHT have an argument.  But you don't.  The two main groups
where Portal is being maligned are talk.bizarre and alt.flame.  If you
consider those as your professional and academic forums, God help us all.
I certainly hope you're not an employee of Sandia or LLL.

>While I feel that providing wide access to the NET is a very important
>undertaking, there should be some restrictions on who gets to post.  Could
>the administrators of "rent-the-NET" sites somehow restrict postings of their
>new users to "local" only and allow them a wider NET access if they prove to
>be capable of meeting the NET standards -- whatever those may be.

For crying out loud!  Could the administrators of some of the commercial
and educational sites restrict access, allowing only users who can post
two words in a row without using various forms of the verb meaning
"to copulate with"?

You know, there is something about all this that really has me puzzled.
It appears that you have a fear of articles coming from Portal and other
PA sites.   You act as if reading those articles could possibly disturb
you, and yet you continue to read them, day after day, complaining loudly
on the net about it.  What is wrong with this picture?

I laugh at the way most poeple on here flame away at Portal simply
because, in most cases, they manage to do it in an amusing and (at least
slightly) intelligent manner.  You on the other hand, are just trying to
be cool and impress your net.buddies.  Yeah, it's impressive.   <snicker>

Cheers,
Wasser
ALT.FLAME:  The latest and greatest Professional and Academic Forum
            SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/09/88)

Yo, Wasser, get a clue.

Oleg said "the formerly adult professional and academia forum".
See that word formerly?

And Oleg has nothing against public access sites. I feel quite
confident saying that because he happens to post from one.

allen@sulaco.UUCP (Allen Gwinn) (09/09/88)

In article <5454@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:

> Yo, Wasser, get a clue.

You're asking too much, Bill.  He hasn't evolved that far, yet :-)
--
Allen Gwinn  ...sulaco!allen        Disclaimer: The facts stated are my own.
"At the source of every error blamed on a computer you will find at least two