[news.admin] On Oleg and Professionalism

oleg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/10/88)

In article <8858@cup.portal.com> Wasser@cup.portal.com writes:
>>we have a problem of the formerly
>>adult professional and academia forum turning into a giant "neighbourhood BBS
> ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
>The two main groups
>where Portal is being maligned are talk.bizarre and alt.flame.  If you
>consider those as your professional and academic forums, God help us all.

You are mistaken, Wasser.  I was referring to the whole NET, not a single
news group.  The parsing may be easier if I do this:  (formerly (adult (and
(professional) (academia)))).  The groups may be frivolous and
"unprofessional", but the people who formed and "inhabited" them were
professionals and students/staff/faculty at educational institutions.

>Could the administrators of some of the commercial
>and educational sites restrict access, allowing only users who can post
>two words in a row without using various forms of the verb meaning
>"to copulate with"?

Yes, and some of them do.  Not a policy I condone, but not a new or unusual
thing on the NET.  People have lost their NET access for "lesser" offences.
You need examples?

>You know, there is something about all this that really has me puzzled.
>It appears that you have a fear of articles coming from Portal and other
>PA sites.   You act as if reading those articles could possibly disturb
>you, and yet you continue to read them, day after day, complaining loudly
>on the net about it.  What is wrong with this picture?

Your picture is wrong, Wasser.  I have started, with a great reluctance,
using KILL files to filter out articles coming from certain users.  Right
now, only ONE name in my KILL files is not from PORTAL.

I have nothing against PA sites, Wasser.  I post from one.  And I intend to
set one up myself, as soon as I can afford the investment.  And not all
articles from PORTAL bother me.  Your articles, in particular, while
offensive and often very shallow, were never a problem.  A number of other
PORTAL users are at least adults.

NET is not a baby-sitting service for horny zit-faced drooling teenagers
who can't buy _Penthouse Letters_ and get their masturbation fantasies for
alt.sex and soc.singles.

>You on the other hand, are just trying to
>be cool and impress your net.buddies.  Yeah, it's impressive.   <snicker>

I am trying to be civil, because this article is being posted to news.group.
It takes a great deal of effort, too.
--
	    "No regrets, no apologies" -- Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev		ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.cts.com
(213)337-5230		UUCP:...!{trwrb|ucla-cs}!lcc!oleg

DISCLAIMER:  I speak for myself only.