[news.admin] KILL the bastards!

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (09/10/88)

I'm crossposting and directing followups to news.misc.  This isn't
really much in the way of flaming, and this topic has little to do
with administering the net anymore.

In article <6807@gryphon.CTS.COM>, oleg@gryphon (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>Your picture is wrong, Wasser.  I have started, with a great reluctance,
>using KILL files to filter out articles coming from certain users.

I think the time has come that the n.a.newusers articles *encourage*
people to use KILL files.  So many people have this mistaken belief
that they're supposed to read each and every article in a newsgroup,
or something.

This is from what I say in the Gnews preface:

	To read Usenet, you have to first find the newsgroups that
	interest you, and then, within each newsgroup, the articles
	that interest you.  To this end, several "newsreaders" have
	been written, of which Gnews is an example.

	Most newsreaders default to showing you all articles within
	a newsgroup that you haven't seen before.  You have to take
	action to further filter out topics, people, cross-postings,
	etc that do not interest you.  In Gnews, this is provided by
	"hook-kills".

In the plans for Gnews: superkills, whereby an article that meets KILL
criterion not only gets junked, any future article that refers to this
article, say within some (user-definable) limit, is also junked.

Of course, this won't do any good with articles from DEC or NOTES or
ARPA or BITNET gateways.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720