[news.admin] environmental newsgroup

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (09/03/88)

Is there a newgroup where environmental issues and recent news and
policy is discussed?  If not, how do we start one?

amossb@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (A. Mossberg) (09/03/88)

In <3581@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, <englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>Is there a newgroup where environmental issues and recent news and
>policy is discussed?  If not, how do we start one?

There doesn't seem to be currently, but we could start one.  Put out a
request for votes.  I suggest sci.environ or something similar.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
Written laws are like spider's webs, and will like them only entangle

esj@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (09/03/88)

In article <3581@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
>Is there a newgroup where environmental issues and recent news and
>policy is discussed?  If not, how do we start one?

No, but I've been considering a alt.eco-guerrilla. Is there any objections?
If not, ill issue the newgroup control message. If you have a objection,
please mail it to me so I will read it soon.

Ej
Usenet mail path: ....{gatech or mailrus}!uflorida!banana.cis.ufl.edu!esj
Regular mail: <esj@banana.cis.ufl.edu>

wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]) (09/03/88)

In <3581@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, <englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>Is there a newgroup where environmental issues and recent news and
>policy is discussed?  If not, how do we start one?

The standard way is to pick a newsgroup that's close enough and start
talking.  If the traffic picks up to the point that you really need a
newsgroup of your own (wait a month or two) then take votes by mail.
You can read more details in news.announce.newusers and such places.

Some potentially appropriate newsgroups would be
	misc.headlines		## for current issues
	sci.misc		## always safe
	bionet.sci-resources	## check the official description,
				## and not everyone gets bionet.
	talk.politics.misc	##
--
#Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# Now I don't mean to insult the intelligence of the younger people here,

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (09/05/88)

bionet.sci-resources is for discussions involving funding of projects
involving molecular biology.  It probably isn't the appropriate place
for a discussion on ecological issues.  This is not to say that such
discussions aren't important, of course.  sci.misc seems your best bet.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

rwr@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Robert Rose) (09/07/88)

Bill, I'm glad to see your interest in finding a forum to discuss
environmental issues - I too have been looking for one.  Until a
newsgroup specifically devoted to the environment is created, I
plan to read and post to sci.misc.

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (09/10/88)

In article <b008d5fWBW1010My=E.@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> rwr@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Robert Rose) writes:
>Bill, I'm glad to see your interest in finding a forum to discuss
>environmental issues - I too have been looking for one.  Until a
>newsgroup specifically devoted to the environment is created, I
>plan to read and post to sci.misc.
 I don't know about your site, but ours just opened a new group titled
 ca.environment. Perhaps this is what you want?

marc@lakesys.UUCP (Marc Rassbach) (09/12/88)

A new newsgroup 'popped up'  (at least on my end.....)  ca.environment.
I would like to see the name changed to sci.environment.   (or at least see
about obtaining a group for the environment....)