[news.admin] Portal Stats

jgreely@teak.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (09/20/88)

In article <9573@cup.portal.com> ANKH@cup.portal.com writes:
>Hi! I'm posting here at the recommendation of several of my Portal
>Pals.

Shouldn't that be Portal Pals(TM)?

>A bunch of us are having a real problem trying to keep track of
>who is who.

Why is is that someone listed as an offender in the form letters
suddenly turns up on the side of the "righteous"?  Without signing
a real name to it?  Can *you* say forgery?

  In real news, I decided to scan the history file here, and see
just how much of an impact Portal has.

Total Articles: 90910
   From Portal:  1418 (or, just over 1.5%)

From these, there were 249 names on the end of the Path: line, 143
of which qualified as handles (something not appearing to be a real
name, such as A-N-Onymouse1, ANKH, Allanon, Argent, Arved,
AstralWizard, BUGGS, Belgarion, BimmerPilot, CalTex, Capitol-Crime,
Centipede, Cimmaron, Coyote, Dallaslass, Fumanchu, Infinite,
Jeepster, Jinfu, LaserMan, and the ever-popular Nightstalker).

  Now say it five times fast: "the BBoard Boys are here!".  I won't
comment on the appeal of the actual articles (others do a fine job
of that), except to mention that /portal/h:j can really improve the
quality of a newsgroup (of course, if there is someone sensible
posting from there, just mark their articles unread after you kill
the others).
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!berserk!jgreely)
"Since I have only received 4 replies as of today I must assume I did not
 post to a wide enough variety of groups.  Here it is reposted for all."
		-- Michael R. Johnston (88/09/18)