[news.admin] Report Card . . .

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (09/21/88)

PHil@cup.portal.com wrote:
->Just to clarify things about Portal to prevent any misunderstanding:
-> (portal hornblowing deleted)

this is my pet peeve with portal: these weenies don't do anything to
inform their users in the ways of the net.  they then go on to post an
advertisement describing what services portal offers and how to
connect.

WE DON'T CARE HOW TO CONNECT TO PORTAL!  indeed, many of us wish you'd
just shut up (or at least take notice of the conventions followed
here).  one of those conventions regularly ignored by the portal folks
is "no advertising."

it seems to me that the people who run portal aren't very
professional.  they continue to act this way even after problems are
identified to them.  just this morning i received a response to e-mail
i sent to postmaster@cup.portal.com ... it was a one-line "i have
forwarded the net-etiquette posting to foo-user" sort of thing, and it
was signed simply "CS."  i'm supposed to know who / what CS is, right?

*sigh*  there goes the neighborhood :(

# Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu>  /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# {decvax,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry   /  <henry@uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa>

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (09/21/88)

In article <3052@mit-amt>, henry@garp (Henry Mensch) writes:
>PHil@cup.portal.com wrote:
>-> (portal hornblowing deleted)

>this is my pet peeve with portal: these weenies don't do anything to
>inform their users in the ways of the net.  they then go on to post an
>advertisement describing what services portal offers and how to
>connect.

The reason they do this is they get a bounty for each new user they
bring in.

Just like the AT&T VP who ordered subordinates to post his IEEE campaign
garbage, Portal, rather than informing its users of the ways of USENET,
deliberately encourages users to violate the rules.  But unlike AT&T,
Portal has zero concern about the bad image thus derived.  Making a
stink out of it is meaningless to Portal.

>it seems to me that the people who run portal aren't very
>professional.  they continue to act this way even after problems are
>identified to them.

Of course they're professional: that is what making money means.  It's
their income to take advantage of the net's largesse this way.

>		      just this morning i received a response to e-mail
>i sent to postmaster@cup.portal.com ... it was a one-line "i have
>forwarded the net-etiquette posting to foo-user" sort of thing, and it
>was signed simply "CS."  i'm supposed to know who / what CS is, right?

CS: customer support.  Isn't nice to know that foo-user got a copy of
the netiquette postings?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

In article <14513@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, I wrote:
>	  Portal, rather than informing its users of the ways of USENET,
>deliberately encourages users to violate the rules.  But unlike AT&T,
>Portal has zero concern about the bad image thus derived.  Making a
>stink out of it is meaningless to Portal.

Talk about wrong Wrong WRONG!  Portal has gone overboard to defuse recent
complaints.  Amazing.

Now, can we all stop talking about Portal....

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720